It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #1

zitzapper HB User
Exclamation ACCUTANE: Users Poll

alright I've got a derm appointment tomorrow and hopefully I'm going to be put on the tane. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Please anyone with accutane experience answer a couple questions I have. It'll help me feel a lot more informed. Thanks

1) How many mg's were you taking?
2) How long until you noticed results? I have 4 months til college starts
3) Did you experience hair loss during treatment?
4) What moisturizer/cleanser worked best?
5) What type of acne did you have?
6) Did it help remove the red marks or how long did they take to subside?
7) Is the drug as good as it's made to be?

Thanks again guys, I couldn't get spiro prescribed cause I'm a 19 year old male and he didn't feel comfortable with me developing or whatever. Accutane is my last resort. I'm just praying through diet and accutane I can be clear in 4 months. Finally have some self confidence!

Old 05-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
Re: ACCUTANE: Users Poll

I'm only at the end of month 2 of my treatment, but I'll tell you what's happened to me so far.
1) I'm on 40mg/day Monday-Friday. On Saturdays and Sundays, I take 40mg 2x/day.
2) I noticed results immediately. A very persistent cyst I had on my cheek for 3 months started to finally go down. I was lucky not to have an initial breakout and now I'm completely clear. My face doesn't get oily anymore.
3) No hair loss, thank god!
4) I ditched every cleanser, moisturizer, whatever and switched to Cetaphil for cleansing and moisturizing (I also carry around lip balm everywhere I go---I'd be a mess without it!)
5) I had moderate but persistent cystic acne. Most of the bumps that started to form under my skin usually grew to about 1 inch in length and stayed on my face from anywhere from 3-6 months. They were extremely painful and some nights I could barely sleep from the pain. I'd get cortisone injections but I went on accutane to (hopefully) never have to have injections again.
6) I have maybe 2 or 3 red marks that are fading. I just dab a little concealer on it.
7) I guess each person feels differently. It didn't work for some, it worked miracles for others. For me, it's everything I was hoping it would be.

I hope you get accutane and it works for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2004, 09:28 AM   #3

zitzapper HB User

thanks for the reply. No one else out there has any experience??

Old 05-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Inactive

joquiero HB User

1. can't remember the dosage - it was a while ago!
2. the first month it went worse!! but then it calmed down and got better. If you start now, you should be clear enough to feel comfortable by college in 4 months
3. no, i didn't experience hair loss at all
4. I don't remember my skin being dry because of the medication. I think i was using l'oreal moisturizer at the time
5. I only had acne on my face - nowhere else. it was lumpy (cystic) and it was all over my face. I also had little white bumps under my skin that were quiet visible - man, i was so miserable because of it
6. I think that within 4 months it was pretty clear, within 8 months it was very clear
7. I don't know about others, but it was a last resort for me (after i'd taken other things that didn't work) and it totally worked. What a relief.

I wish you luck with it. Also, ask your dermatologist about renova which can compliment medication and help block those pores. Or, ask about alpha hydroxy acids which help. Glycolic peels are good - they really help clear pores up.

Also, in regards to diet. Many think that diet has no bearing, others think it has everything to do with skin. Though skin condition can be determined by hormones, intestinal flora also is thought to be equally responsible for poor skin. If you take antibiotics, be sure to take accodopholus which can renew the good bacteria the stomach (flora) which antibiotics kill - which help to fight bad bacteria.

Also, drink LOTS of water (until you feel bloated!) and try to workout a few days a week - and REALLY sweat, and avoid coffee. I've found those things help. Oh, and if you can, avoid carbs. The best complexion i EVER had was when I was working out frantically 4 days a week, cutting carbs and drinking lots of water.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:42 PM   #5

zitzapper HB User

thanks alot for the responses guys, I actually got it prescribed!! He put me on 80mg a day and gave me some cetaphil along with some RoBathol and Locoid Lipocream which I have no idea what they do! Now that I actually got it prescribed what do I have to look forward to? Any input is greatly appreciated. Im really excited but feel uninformed too.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:42 PM   #6

Gael Alias HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitzapper
alright I've got a derm appointment tomorrow and hopefully I'm going to be put on the tane. I'm excited but scared at the same time. Please anyone with accutane experience answer a couple questions I have. It'll help me feel a lot more informed. Thanks

1) How many mg's were you taking?
2) How long until you noticed results? I have 4 months til college starts
3) Did you experience hair loss during treatment?
4) What moisturizer/cleanser worked best?
5) What type of acne did you have?
6) Did it help remove the red marks or how long did they take to subside?
7) Is the drug as good as it's made to be?
1) At first started at 20 mg's then up to 40 mg's per day.
2) About 2 weeks.
3) No hair loss.
4)Used Aquaphor for lips, but for my face hardly used anything, sometimes Cetaphil.
5)Some small pimples, blackheads, and the occasional huge monster cysts.
6) Yes it helped subside red marks after about a couple of weeks.
7)It's the only thing that consistently worked for me. I have tried the drug three times and every time it lasts. The first time I took it, it came back after a year, then three years, and now I'm taking it again. I never had any bad side effects except for the occasional muscle pains and dry lips. It might seem like it hardly works but now I'm just taking it because I don't want to deal with Acne at all. I don't want to have to use any creams, and that's what it is doing for me right now because it is clearing up the last persistant acne. Now my face is almost completely clear.

Old 05-14-2004, 09:53 PM   #7

Alexandra789456 HB User

it was pretty bad but not cystic acne. I took 80mg for 4 months with alesse clenser. I broke out until the end of treatment. By then, I only had to deal with the old acne and there were no new breakouts. A little bit of hair loss in the shower but that stopped at the end. No side effects at all as I got blood tests. It works but unfortunately i didnt' reach perfection.

Old 05-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #8

boardguy16 HB User

congrats on getting the tane, i think youll be very happy with it. Ive been off it for half a year now, i finished last october. still clear , crossin my fingers. anyway the best thing youll notice is that pimples will start to go away FAST like one day youll have one and the next day you wake up and its gone.

Old 05-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #9

Alexandra789456 HB User

correction: I used a cleanser called "avene" it's in a clear bottle and it's blue-green colored. It's an amazing cleanser. I don't know why I called it alesse.. I guess because I'm looking into bc pills now. ANyway accutane is the way to go. I am so thankful I had the brains and guts to try it out.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #10

jaca HB User

Hi people,

I am on the end of 2nd month on Accutane. Funny thing is my derm put me on a very low 10 mg a day, (although this is my first time on accutane) but I always have cysts on my body!!

I have a cyst as big as a thumb (not kidding) somewhere around my shoulder before I started on accutane and it hasn't improve at all, that makes it to about 2 1/2 months now. I mean the cyst has been there for more than 2 months now!!!

So..... what am I suppose to do? I don't want to take the risk of going on the treatment to find out that my derm prescribe me a wrong dosage and that it doesn't work at all......

HELP..... is it normal that the derm always prescribe a low dosage for first time user or should I tell him that I probably need a higher dosage? Please share your experience.

jaca

Old 05-20-2004, 05:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Jaca,

10mg sounds like a very low dosage for the cysts you're describing. I don't know much about it, but I always thought they took people's weight into consideration? I also don't know the formula they use to figure that out, but I weigh 120 and am on 40mg/day.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:52 AM   #12

Nicole29 HB User

10 mg does sound low im on 40 mg and i dont have cystic acne but i still break out bad

Old 05-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #13
(male)

Jonesy HB User

By the end of your course you are supposed to have taken roughly 100mg for each Kilogram of your body weight. For example I weigh about 70kg so I took about 7000mg in total, I was on 35mg a day for a month and then 70mg for 3 months, works out at a bit more than 7000 but it's near enough.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #14

zitzapper HB User

Hey guys, I just thought I'd get you caught up on how things are going. My skin is literally peeling off. The zits have been going away. I can't believe how quick this stuff starts working. I didn't know it made me so sun sensitive. My lips are starting to crack too. I've been using the cetaphil bar to wash and some cetaphil moisturizer daily. I only take one shower a day. I drink a ton of water too. I'm on 80mg a day. My acne kind of flared the first couple days and then it started going away pretty quick. There's still a couple whiteheads and now the red marks. Was there anything you guys used while on accutane you liked? I heard a lot about aquaphor. My lips are starting to get bad. I feel like a damn snake shedding it's skin!

Old 05-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #15

Nicole29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitzapper
Hey guys, I just thought I'd get you caught up on how things are going. My skin is literally peeling off. The zits have been going away. I can't believe how quick this stuff starts working. I didn't know it made me so sun sensitive. My lips are starting to crack too. I've been using the cetaphil bar to wash and some cetaphil moisturizer daily. I only take one shower a day. I drink a ton of water too. I'm on 80mg a day. My acne kind of flared the first couple days and then it started going away pretty quick. There's still a couple whiteheads and now the red marks. Was there anything you guys used while on accutane you liked? I heard a lot about aquaphor. My lips are starting to get bad. I feel like a damn snake shedding it's skin!
ive only been on it for 10 days and my face started peeling by the third my lips r cracked 2 but get aquaphor its greasy but put it on before u go to bed and keep chapstick with u. The aquaphore should make a large improvment on the lips

Closed Thread