It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #1

annienels HB User
irregular periods + acne . . . LINKED?!

OK! question to all you ladies out there . . .

i am 19 years old and have been having periods since i was 11. always my periods have been irregular. usually lasting for longer with longer intervals in-between AND heavy as all hell for the first few days. for the last year or so i feel like it has worsened, and i seem to be getting chunks of blood clots as well. i also have had fairly moderate acne since puberty, however i cover it pretty well. my question is: do you think the 2 are linked? like i have a hormonal balance or something?

(just a little more background) i exercise regularly, drink plenty of water, and eat healthy most of the time. i also use the proactive system. my father had horrible acne, although now is fine, and my mother did not.

i just think that my problem (at least with acne) is deeper than just oily skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Re: irregular periods + acne . . . LINKED?!

annienels,
Hey there =) Well I'm glad you are thinking in terms of the bigger picture, not everyone does this. It is possible that your irregular periods are a sign of a deeper hormonal disorder.

Have you had acne as long as you've had your periods? Do you ever miss several months in between your periods? When you get them, how long do they last? Are they painful?

Also, do you have other symptoms? Vision problems, dental problems, stomach problems, hirsutism, wieght problems, etc? Do certain health problems run on either side of your family? Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, etc? Those are things you should think about. Of course, if those are true you definately want to see an endocrinologist to get yourself tested. Say, have you ever been on Birth Control?

Bye for now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I DEFINITELY believe that hormonal imbalances + irregular periods = acne. I'm 25 and when I was a teenager, I had BEAUTIFUL, FLAWLESS skin! I actually didn't start breaking out really bad until I was about 20 and it's been like a train wreck ever since! I got my first period when I was 10 and it was great, no cramps, came every month on the same day and lasted for 3-4 days. I never knew it was there and then all of a sudden it stopped and started coming and going when it wanted to, around the same time when I started breaking out. I've been on Ortho-tricyclen Lo for about 2 years and it hasn't helped at all. I'm seriously thinking about getting tested for some sort of hormonal imbalances, but I'm not sure who I would go to to get tested.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

An Endocrinologist =)

Old 05-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #5

i'mstuck HB User

When I went off the pill 2 years ago at 21, that's when my acne started. it slowly got worse as months passed. At the smae time I didn't get a period for 3 months and my GP had me take progesterone. My periods are still not regular. I usually get them every 30-45 days. My acne was also bad as a teenager although at that time my periods were regular. My acne started to clear up before, but when i started the Pill it cleared up completely. Nevertheless I also had a period of about 1 1/2 years in the middle where I wasn't taking the Pill and my acne was "normal", probably one pimple a week or so. So, the first time I went off the pill i didn't notice any problems, the second time my periods were @$%^ed and painful for the first time ever, and my skin broke out. Despite the chance The Pill could clear my skin I refuse to ever take it again. I think it messes up your body.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Imstuck,
I can't say for certain wether the pill messes up your body. Yet I do know that over time your body can get messed up all on it's own.

Your genes will determine the way you react to certain things in your environment. So you can alter your environment with BC, Progesterone or Natural Progesterone Cream, or other medications that will balance your hormones. You can also balance your hormones through supplements and/or dietary changes.

There are plenty of people that were skinny when they were young and are now overweight at the age of 30, 40, etc. There are plenty of women that never had clear skin, and now at the ages of 20, 40, etc are experiencing acne problems. There are plenty of women that had regular periods and then one day...they ended up with irregular to no periods, acne, hirsutism, the whole crappy works. These are all symptoms of some sort of hormonal disorder that has been slowly working over time or finally just "kicked in" Most of them, especially if caught early enough, are reversible. Visit and an Endocrinologist and find out (may take a 2nd or 3rd opinion).

Best of luck =)

Old 05-25-2004, 11:44 PM   #7

annienels HB User

thank you soooo much for all that input guys!!! ive made an appt to talk to a doc about my issues since the post. however i wanna answer some questions and get more feedback . . .

sweetjade: my acne has progressed throughout my pre-teen and teenage years, but first signs of blemishes was probably around my period. my periods in general, can be sometimes painful and sometimes not. im usually VERY BLOATED before they come (im very petite so i can tell) and they last anywhere from 7-12 days. they are so heavy i find myself sitting on the toliet with a mag for some of day 1 at least. in terms of health problems in general, im a pretty healthy kid. no weight problems, no diabetes or cancer that i know of, no heart disease that i know of either, and the only stomach probs that i have is the occassional indigestion. NEVER been on birth control, so maybe thats what i need to do. get back to me on your thoughts.

kim: hope you figure it all out soon! best of luck, and i feel your pain.

imstuck: do you really think that the BC messes you up? anyone else? what do you have to say?

Old 05-26-2004, 01:54 AM   #8

i'mstuck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annienels
imstuck: do you really think that the BC messes you up? anyone else? what do you have to say?
Well, it's just my opinion becuase i haven't seen any scientific studies about it. But then why would there be since it is a huge industry that makes lots of people lots of money. Based on personal experience from myself and other people, the rocky history the pill has, and other weird symptoms such as mood disorders that some people experience when on it, I don't feel comfortable taking it. And it's also just a gut-feeling thing too where my intuition goes "yuck". At any rate those stupid Alesse ads and the horrible way these drugs are pushed by corporations, not to mention the feeling that women are being repressed and monitored in a sense still, when there is little effort to find a male equivalent...you can't deny that there are political and ideological motivations behind things being the way they are. I don't think i should have to mess with my body, and hate that women seem to take for granted that this is o.k. and normal that they should have to do it and not men....

Anyway, oh, sorry about that. You can SKIP THE RANT if it's not too late. It's my personal preference, but i tend to value the natural way in all apects of my life and avoid drugs in general when i can. Err..except Accutane.

Closed Thread