It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #1

CraigTS367 HB User
after stopping antibiotics...

In my experience, both times that an antibiotic worked to clear up my acne, I broke out again immediately after stopping the medication.
I finally got in to see a derm hoping I would get accutane but he gave me augmentin instead . He said it would be far more effective than any other antibiotics I have tried because it is a different type. He also said that since the bacteria do not 'know' this medicine yet it may kill it all and it may not come back after stopping.
I am having trouble believing this. From what I have seen, the antibiotics are only temporary. My insurance coverage will end in January when i turn 23 and I'm running out of time to begin a course of accutane.
Basically my question is... has anyone had long-term clearing after stopping an antibiotic or does my doctor not know what the **** he is talking about?

Old 05-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #2

Fury23 HB User
Re: after stopping antibiotics...

Stopping antibiotics has never helped me, but your body may respond differently to new treatments. Over the years, tetracycline has stopped working as well as it used to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 10:14 PM   #3

Max_Payne HB User

im doing great now without anti-biotics, i think the reason why it comes back after you stop taking antibiotics is because your lives is weak, a liver with problems tends to cause acne, take some milk thistle and u will see results after a month or so... right now i just wash my face with proactiv at nights and take milk thistle 3 times a day.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Try finding another Derm. Usually if you tell him that you tried all those meds he or she wouldnt fight with you on accutane. There are many that are hesitant on accutane and there are others that if you tried just one anti biotic and it didnt work he or she would put you on it in a second.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

CraigTS367 HB User

I have a follow-up appointment in one month to check progress of the new antibiotic. I called my current derm and expressed my concerns and he said at my next appointment if I am not satisfied with the way my skin looks then he will give me the accutane.
I have to admit that I am really surprised at how well this stuff is working. Other topical antibiotics morning and night plus Differin at night along with the oral meds did nothing. I started taking 1000mg augmentin twice a day and using Benzaclin only at night. My face looks TONS better and i just switched 4 days ago! No more big cysts. Very few whiteheads and when I do have them they're not as deep and hard and I can just sort of scrape them off with a tissue. I've only had one new spot as opposed to the usual 2-3 per morning and I am hopeful that the remaining ones will continue to fade and no more will pop up...
I am still worried about what will happen when I stop this stuff as I will not be able to be on it for much longer as I will not have prescription coverage in 6 more months and I am not looking forward to shelling out 1000+ for a full course of accutane online.
I guess I'll just try not to think about tomorrow and enjoy the current results.

Old 05-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
(female)

shag HB User

Every time I've stopped an antibiotic, my acne comes back twice as bad. The antiobitics only seem to work for a certain period of time too. I decided this last time after going off, I will not go back on under any circumstances. When it worked it worked well...but the side effects don't out way the short amount of time I'm clear and the horrible break out I get once I stop.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:39 AM   #7

CraigTS367 HB User

Even if this stuff is working I think I may stop using it one week before my appointment to let me face break out a bit when I see the doctor. He will then think the antibiotic is not effective and give me the accutane (i hope). This sounds completely crazy to me too and I never thought I would do something to intentionally make my acne come back but that may be the only way to get the long term results that I want. The doc did say that he would give me the acc. if i didn't have great results but even if he doesn't i would think the antibiotics would be effective again if i start up again after only stopping for about a week... Right? I would just go see another derm but it will be at least 2 months to get appointment somewhere else and i would not have enough insurance time left to complete a full course of accutane. This is so frustrating!

Closed Thread