It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User
"newbie" acne questions--also a question about minocin

hey all---i just have a few questions you might think are kinda dumb

what is cystic acne?

what kind of acne cause scars (cystic?)--and what does an acne scar look like? i dont really know if im gonna get scars from my acne...i dont THINK i am...my acne is basically just a lot of small red ones that mostly dont form into a whitehead, but occasionally i do get some big ones

also---im taking minocin right now for my acne along with differin gel. Previously i've taken tetracycline with differin, which worked wonders for awhile, but then stopped working. Minocin and differin hasn't cleared me up at all--in fact i think its gotten worse---in the last 3-4 weeks...is it gonna start working anytime soon? I mean, whats everyone else's experience with minocin (if they've taken it)

thx for any input

Old 06-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User
Re: "newbie" acne questions--also a question about minocin

any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Cystic acne forms under the skin and can take a while to go away. It's painful to the touch and sometimes doesn't form a head for the pus to drain. I've had way too many of these to deal with so I gave up on my regimen of mino and differin and was finally prescribed accutane.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #4

soulman HB User

How long have you been using the combo?

Old 06-02-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

Since May 5th this year, so I've been using it for just under a month now.

Also, do you think my skin might not respond to the mino/differin since I've taken tetracylcin (of the minocin family i think) and differin before?

thanks for the help

Old 06-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
(male)

VGN HB User

It was over a month before my skin started showing improvements under the minocin/differin regimen, so have patience and you'll hopefully see results. I thought when my skin got a bit worse again after 3 months on minocin I'd developed a resistance, but I'm on another 3 month prescription of it now, with assurances that it'll continue to improve..

/shrug

Old 06-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #7

soulman HB User

Hello
Does your acne hurt when touch or feel.
I think you might be right about the antibiotics. However, minocin is a little more powerful than tetracycline. Then again, if you are resistance to tetracycline, then minocin could also be affected.

How's the differin gel. I am thinking of using it but I rather leave all prescription med aside because of what I experience with Retin-A. Plus I have oily sensitive skin.
Good Luck with your future decision.
By the way, I was on minocin for 1 and a half year and it also stops working for me.

Last edited by soulman; 06-04-2004 at 11:33 PM.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #8
Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

no the acne doesnt really hurt, unless theres a zit in a sensitive area...or its a really big one.

im not really sure how the differin is working out. i took it awhile ago, worked AMAZINGLY, then i went off it for too long, broke out, and when i got back on it, it didnt work. Now im trying it again (2 years later), but its still pretty early in my treatment. In terms of side-effects, I didnt have any really. It might be making my skin a BIT oilier, but i dont think the differin is doing that.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:26 PM   #9

shawngt2 HB User

I think you dropped out of using Differin too early. I'm in my first week and my face is getting worse but I know eventually it will die down. It's purging everything now. But, hopefully Accutane works for you. I'm not at that step quite yet and will avoid...

Closed Thread