It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User
A great solution for acne around the mouth and on the chin

I have always had problems with incredibly resilient acne in one particular problem area, specifically, the skin around the mouth and on the high chin (or, as I call it, the red district.) I recently tried substituting my regular tooth paste for one free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and noticed immediate improvement. I'm not at all qualified to pronounce authortatively on what exactly Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is, but I understand that it is a chemical that can have a detrimental effect on sensitive skin. My acne was quite mild to begin with, so I'm not sure whether this strategy will ensure success in others, but it is a relatively cheap gamble. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is also found in many shampoos, and I have changed my customary brand here also.

Last edited by Tiefer479; 06-04-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Re: A great solution for acne around the mouth and on the chin

mmm..cetaphil also has this in it. That ingredient has been known to be a pore clogging ingredient, but i didn't know it aggrivated. I also get the same type acne as you talk about. Do these pimples, mainly the ones on chin seem to be diff than regular acne? I get these and they seem to not act the same way as the acne i have (cystic and pimples), browsing the herpes boards, i heard you can get herpes breakouts on chin. lol..i jump to conclusions a lot, guess its a type of OCD type thing, but they do seem to act diff than the pimples on my face. So i dunno, although i don't think i have herpes..lol...god i hope not anyways.

Anways, aside of the herpes........i just suck in as i brush my teeth, it keeps the toothpaste from getting on my lips or on the surrounding part of my lips.

GG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

Wow, that's really interesting. I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2004, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

I'm not quite sure how to characterize the activity on my chin, it is really quite mild, typically manifesting in the form of a few tiny whiteheads that very rarely contain any accumulation of pus. On "removing" them, there is rarely any discharge at all and I'm typically left for the duration of the day with a tiny red spot. What clued me in to the possible SLS connection was the fact that they tended to recur in more or less the exact same spot, even on the cusps of my lips. They have now all but disappeared following my transition to an SLS free toothpaste (which by the way you will likely have to go to a healthfood store to buy - I am currently using a Burt's Bees brand). I should also qualify all this by noting that I recently started taking 50 mg. of zinc a day, and remarked even on the first morning a visible improvement in inflammation and redness. Nevertheless, I do believe that the removal of SLS has also played a part.

Apparently, SLS is contained in a lot of facial washes; as I already mentioned, I'm not quite sure what it is designed to do, only that it apparently tends to be problematic for people whose skin is as sensitive as mine. That's all for now, good luck with the toothpaste.

Old 06-03-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

I also wanted to add by way of a footnote, that washing one's face (particularly this area) with Head and Shoulders can apparently be effective. I just learned about this recently and, having purchased a bottle, plan to try it tonight. As you may now, Head and Shoulders contains zinc and many people have testified to its effectiveness in treating acne on the back and shoulders (which I've never really had). I plan to try this tonight and will report back in a few days. I realize that Head and Shoulders may contain SLS, but I have had such postive experience with zinc that I plan to proceed nevertheless, hoping that the one will counteract the other.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #6

Fury23 HB User

I recently stopped using Head and Shoulders twice a day and I no longer breakout along my hairline.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:15 AM   #7

rocknroll1234 HB User

What brands of toothpaste that you know off don't have Sodim Lauryl Sulfate?

Anyways I just make sure I don't have any spilage out of my mouth when brushing. I also rinse out my mouth and guggle with loads of water to remove leftover toothpaste left in my mouth.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

You'll generally not find any SLS free brands at major retailers - try calling some healthfood stores and inquiring as to whether they carry the Burt's Bees line. Failing that, you can always order online at their website.

Last edited by Tiefer479; 06-04-2004 at 07:20 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
(female)

GoNatural21986 HB User
I have had the same problem on and off for a few years and have done a lot of research to figure out how to make it go away, and keep it gone.
SLS is a skin irritant that can make worse many skin conditions or irritate sensitive skin. It is used in hygenic products to make them get bubblly and foamy during use IE: shampoo, toothpaste, bodywash etc. If you have sensitive skin, you should definitely try to steer clear of SLS.
Another additive, found especially in oral hygenic products, that can cause skin irritation and inflamation is flouride. Especially when dealing with sensitive skin, it can cause dermatitis around the face and mouth (often call peri-oral dermatitis). In its early stages peri-oral dermatitis resembles acne and even causes "pimples" and "blackheads" because it is an infection of hair follicles. It also causes redness just below the nose and around the mouth. Use of flouride or topical steroids (which is what most doctors will prescribe you for inflamation or a skin rash) will actually make this condition worse. If this condition gets progressively worse, one or two month cycles of antibiotics (like tetracycline) may be prescribed to clear it up.

Acne around the mouth is ususally hormonal, that is why you most often see these kind of breakouts on women. Birth control can cause or worsen this kind of acne or dermatitis. If you're not interested in quitting hormones (birth control), try a benzyol peroxide wash once a day followed by a dab of tea tree oil, which has natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. This will dry up the pimples. Apply an oil free moisturizer once a day. Something with green tea or oatmeal in it is great because these will reduce redness. Make sure it has no SLS, Parabens, Oil or Talc in it.

Hopefully this helps

Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
(female)

virogirl HB User

SLS also can cause canker sores in some people...like myself! So I actually stopped using it and did notice that the skin around my mouth also cleared up as a side effect. I never noticed that I was getting toothpaste in that area but apparently it was close enough to irritate it. Rembrandt canker sore toothpaste does not have SLS...also Biotene (I think it's called). Look for ones marketed for dry mouth or canker sores. They usually dont have it. Toms of Maine has ONE flavor (apricot) that does not have it, but most of their flavors do. It is a foaming agent, so expect that the toothpaste will be less foamy than normal.

Hope that helps!

Closed Thread