It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 12:52 AM   #1

BlowingRandom HB User
Is hydrogen peroxide safe for everyday use on skin

any input is appreciated..

Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 AM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Is hydrogen peroxide safe for everyday use on skin

I think ColoradoGirl has already provided you with the answer regarding this question on a previous post of yours about H202.

H202 is known to cause free radical damage, this is not disputable, it is unfortunately fact. Free radicals, as a result, cause cellular damage. So everytime you put this substance on your skin your are killing off vital skin cell walls. The more you use it and the more regular the use becomes, the more the likelihood you will increase your risk of developing cancer. If you are ever exposed to the sun, your skin will find it difficult to protect itself if it has already been damaged by free radicals. Moreover, the skin naturally produces free-radicals when over-exposed to the sun so you will be making matters twice as bad...

(great I have just replied to three posts regarding cancer..very worrying . We should be taking more care of ourselves)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 04:31 AM   #3

euro18 HB User

well, I am not sure about this. Karin Herzog is a very good skin care regime and they use Hydrogen peroxide and of course they say it's safe - but they are not farudsters - go to her website and see what u think. She has done her research on acne, that much is obvious. I am sure you can guess the website as I am not allowed to post it.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:53 AM   #4

BlowingRandom HB User

thx you guys, what do the rest of you think about the hydrogen peroxide used everyday.?

Old 06-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #5

Kenry52 HB User

I say that if it works, use it. I'd rather kill some skin cells and be clear than look terrible and have my life ruined while keeping the skin cells healthy.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenry52
I say that if it works, use it. I'd rather kill some skin cells and be clear than look terrible and have my life ruined while keeping the skin cells healthy.
Then basically from what you say, the future really is not important to you is it? Unfortunately this type of mentality is followed by many people.

There has been such a huge increase in the incidence of cancer over the past few decades. One of the main reasons is because so many are obssessed with sitting under the sun and burning their skin all day. They don't want to listen to the advice. But oh well who cares, let's worry about the wrinkles, cancer, skin problems etc. later on in life when the time comes, we want to LOOK good now

Old 06-08-2004, 12:31 AM   #7
Inactive

Ethan06 HB User

Hi guys, as the creator of a former HP thread that advocated its use, I am now discontinuing my month long use of Hydrogen Peroxide (as my toner) because of much research on the topic of free radical formation. The 3% aqueous solution that you buy from drug stores isn't stable and the extra oxygen molecule in HP can play havoc with cells. The creams that contain HP are a bit better because they couple HP with anti- oxidants like vitamin and C but they're still iffy.

So what am I using now? In my quest to stay as natural as possible when dealing with acne (and diet), I have discovered Burt's Bees products and so far I'm extremely impressed.

I use Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Complexion Soap -for Oily and Troubled Skin, along with the Garden Tomato Toner -with Natural Alpha-Hydroxy Acids. I also use the Citrus Facial Scrub to exfoliate. The toner and soap are really cool, 99% natural, and smell/feel really good. Iím watching my black head farm on my nose slowly begin to normalize and recede into nothingness lol and did I mention everything smells great?

It's definitely a bit pricy though compared with the standard drug store fair but if it works, I don't care how much it costs. I found them at an organic grocery store called Capers here in Vancouver Canada. Really itís only about double what most Neutrogena products are so it's not totally nuts and the soap cleanser will last for months.

Last edited by Ethan06; 06-08-2004 at 12:33 AM.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:25 AM   #8
Veteran

Neca HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan06
In my quest to stay as natural as possible when dealing with acne (and diet), I have discovered Burt's Bees products and so far I'm extremely impressed.
Ethan, I am so glad you have chosen to take the natural route to heal your acne. Not only will your skin be soooo grateful but your entire body/all round health will improve significantly.

If only people would put aside their obssession with quick fixes (regardless of the side-effects with the products) and just sit back and appreciate how important nature can be in helping us achieve what we want.

I also use Burt's Bees toothpaste and even though changing from the mainstream brands to this one was a bit strange to start with, I really like it now. All natural ingredients and NO fluoride therefore if you swallow any of it, you won't be harming yourself. This, unfortunately, isn't the case with Aquafresh, Colgate, Crest and most mainstream brands. These contains such potent ingredients that swallowing a significant amount could harm you.

I have tried Burt's Bees other products but they sound equally good: "Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Complexion Soap -for Oily and Troubled Skin" haha what a cool name for a product. I'm about to start using products by Aubrey Organics which is another all natural company. Supposedly they are great.

Good on you also Ethan for dumping the Hydrogen Peroxide!!!

Old 06-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #9

monminkellan HB User

I've been using HP for over three months. My skin looks great! No indication of cell death or cell walls being ruined??!! I have also done my research. HP is not this horrible thing that some on this board are accusing it of. It returns the acidity to your skin, is an antiseptic and helps oxygenate skin, amongst other things. I exfoliate two to three times a week and always moisturize. I hardly believe that HP is any more harmful to skin than the majority of acne treatments out there. As for natural treatments, I am all for those types of treatments. I am using HP and taking Evening Primrose oil, which for women is supposed to balance hormones. I have to say that this is ringing absolutely true for me. So teaming the HP and the primrose oil has been great for me. If you are truly worried about the HP, use half HP and half Tea Tree oil or any other tone you like. I use Origins products and absolutely love them! The last week I've been using a solution of half my Origins toner and half HP (just to see if I can wean off all "acne cures", as I've weaned off my antibiotics as well). You can dillute the HP with a bit of water too. Bottom line, if it has been working for you, stay with it. I guess there are so many things that are harmful to us in this world that this doesn't rank up there with smoking, overeating, or being on a antibiotics which has terrible side effects. And it's not going to give you cancer!!

Closed Thread