It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 02:09 AM   #1

WannabeOrlando HB User
Do whiteheads leave scars?

I have this disgusting two whiteheads near my mouth area and I was wondering, if I squeeze them out, will they eventually leave scars?

My derm actually says that every spot leaves a scar, whaddya think about that.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Do whiteheads leave scars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeOrlando
My derm actually says that every spot leaves a scar, whaddya think about that.
Hmm, s/he might need to get their head re-examined. That is another quote I need to add to my list of "Top 100 Stupid Statements by Dermatologists" !

For my entire life, I have squeezed my whiteheads until all pus has been removed and have no scars whatsoever. I think it is important to consider the way you go about extracting them though.

If you attack them with a knife and fork and start trying to dig them out then of course your chances of scarring will be pretty high but not necessarily definite for that matter. If on the other hand, you squeeze lightly without seriously digging your fingernails into your skin then you will be A-OK! If you want to successfully extract any form of whitehead then the best way to go about it is to steam your face so that the pores are opened up. This way you will only need the minimal amount of pressure to remove them.

It also depends on how deeply imbedded the whitehead is and how large it is. If you are talking about cysts then these are much harder to remove and generally have a higher chance of scarring if you don't do it probably. I believe however, that the longer you leave the pus and bacteria trapped underneath your skin, the longer you are impeding your skin's attempt to rejuvenate/heal itself.

But just think of it like this, whenever you graze/cut yourself (maybe tripping on gravel) and you damage the surface of your skin, within a few weeks your skin has usually healed itself. The skin is an extremely efficient organ if looked after properly.

Just don't let frustration get the better of you by attacking it with your sharp nails....or a knife and fork for that matter lol!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 03:43 AM   #3

WannabeOrlando HB User

Lmao Neca you're so funny!

You know, during my visits to the derm one of the steps is picking on spots with some needle.It hurts big time though she always tells me, dont worry it wont leave scars at all.I find it quite weird to understand though, I mean if you dig in your skin with a needle (hygiene is important off course) then you at least make a hole right? So I guess after a certain ammount of time new cells develop and so does the skin and the holes go away lol. Weird theory though.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

I know what you mean, the same thing happens at the dentist. Do you ever find that while your dentist pokes around your teeth, your mouth fills up with blood. All they say is "Yes, your gums should not bleed, they only bleed if you don't take better care of them...you should be flossing and brushing more!" What a ridiculous thing to say, oh of course it has nothing to do with the fact that you are stabbing by teeth and gums with drills, *****s, scrubbers, needles etc.! My uncle is a dentist, he tells me that if the dentist is professional and knows what s/he is doing then bleeding should be absolutely minimal even with someone who has not flossed often.

But society tells us to believe whatever our doctors/dentists tell us just because they are in the position that they occupy. It makes little sense.

Orlando, when you visit your derm to remove these whiteheads which type are we talking about? Are they surface whiteheads or deeply imbedded under the skin? If they are deeply imbedded under the skin then yes extracting those will hurt but I am not sure whether or not the derm will cause scarring by doing it as I have never had extractions done to my skin. Do you have any post-extraction marks still remaining on your skin now? If so, how long has it been? If it's been a long time and it doesn't look like they will heal for sometime longer then I would have to question this method and what they are REALLY doing to your skin.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:01 AM   #5

wizzii HB User

On darker people it usually leaves a lil mark

Old 06-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
(male)

avron HB User

My BIG whiteheads usually leave a spot that lasts for a week or two then disappears.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #7

aaron7 HB User

whiteheads generally do not leave a mark for me...if it's white I'd squeeze it out. I've tried to do a comparative study one time when i had two white heads of roughly equal size in around the same areai popped one and left the other...

the popped one did much better. it left a mark that dissappeared in a week...the other left one...took about 3 more days to heal (it depressed), and the mark is still there-3 weeks...just to point...the marks are really faint, so i guess you can only see them when really looking hard...but still pop it...no scar...

for me it's always like scarring happens in proportion to the length of the presence of the inflamation...if it's a whitehead...after popping it, it heals in 1 day...=less time inflammed=less scarring/no scarring...that's my logic.

Closed Thread