It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2004, 09:43 AM   #1

hethr1 HB User
Acne along jawline??

does anyone know what causes breakouts mostly along the jawline?
i am a 37 yr old female....not on birth control pills, no children.
does stress cause that type of breakouts?

i think i may have hypothyroidism (going to get checked this friday).
does anyone know if acne is a symptom of hypoT?

thanks for any info!

Old 06-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #2
Inactive

joquiero HB User
Re: Acne along jawline??

I'm in the same boat - 32years old, no kids, not on birth control and about 10 months ago started getting really bad acne on jawline, sides of my neck and cheeks near the ears, back and chest. My dermatologist said it is VERY common for women in their thirties to get acne. But then shes based in the stress capital of the world - New York!! - so, who knows whether it IS stress, hormonal or even food (which she denies)

I have been taking antibiotics for about 3 months and was clear enough to not need foundation (ah, was a wonderful feeling that is) but then suddenly last week my face just exploded with acne. What caused it? To retrace my steps last week, i went out a couple of night and drank alcohol, had a few desserts, pasta, break, cheese, wine, had lots of veggies, a little chocolate, didn't work out, fell asleep one night with makeup on (i know, i'm an idiot!) it was humid and hot out. So, it could have been ANYTHING that triggered it.

Go see your dermatologist though, she/he is the only person that can help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Oh, regarding HT, I've never heard that hyperthyroidism causes acne - but I'm not a doctor.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Ive heard jawline acne is hormonal. So you might look into birth control if that is not a problem. I have heard that has helped a lot of females with hormonal type acne.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
Ive heard jawline acne is hormonal. So you might look into birth control if that is not a problem. I have heard that has helped a lot of females with hormonal type acne.

yeah, thats what my dermatologist said - especially the cystic type. Though Adoxa (antibiotics) has really cleared me up - if it hadn't, birth control pills would have been the next stage.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran

Saka HB User

I suffer badly from hormonal outbreaks and I get them all along my jaw line and upper neck. I've since started taking Dianne-ED BCP for it and it has cleared it right up.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Sigh, im a male and get hormonal acne too. Cysts are mainly along jawling and underside of jawline, some on cheeks too. Wish i could take birth control. :P

Old 06-16-2004, 10:05 PM   #8

Finch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
Sigh, im a male and get hormonal acne too. Cysts are mainly along jawling and underside of jawline, some on cheeks too. Wish i could take birth control. :P
Yeah, I have that same problem too. I cut back on drinking cola and stuff like that and it improved it slightly, but didn't eliminate it.

Old 06-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #9

hethr1 HB User

thank you for the helpful info. i think mine are the type a few of you have described. cyst-like bumps, varying in size and sore to the touch. i've heard that steaming the face can sometimes help. i've been using rubbing alcohol to try to dry them up (in addition to face washing). looks like i have chicken pox along my jawline.

i don't recall whether or not i had this problem when i was on birth control. i have been under a lot of stress lately and have had 2 epirdural steroid injections in my neck....i wonder if steroids cause acne flare ups....? i have a 3rd injection scheduled for this coming monday. hope it doesn't get worse!

i have also heard that soda can cause acne. wasn't sure if it's only regular soda, or also diet (i only drink diet). i think i read some place that it's the caramel coloring (?) they use that causes the problems (either in diet or regular).

anyway, thanks again for the feedback!

Old 06-18-2004, 08:09 AM   #10
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hethr1
i don't recall whether or not i had this problem when i was on birth control. i have been under a lot of stress lately and have had 2 epirdural steroid injections in my neck....i wonder if steroids cause acne flare ups....? i have a 3rd injection scheduled for this coming monday. hope it doesn't get worse!

i have also heard that soda can cause acne. wasn't sure if it's only regular soda, or also diet (i only drink diet). i think i read some place that it's the caramel coloring (?) they use that causes the problems (either in diet or regular).

anyway, thanks again for the feedback!
I'm sure i've read that testosterone (they're in steroids, right?) definately causes breakouts - i think the pill is the opposite, its oestrogen.

Yeah, i cut out soda - even if i didn't breakout my skin would just look like crap.

Old 06-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
Inactive

lindanm HB User

I used to have cysts on my neck, jaw, temples, hairline and back. Then I learned that oranges & OJ caused or triggered them and stopped eating them. I'm guessing it is the acidity or something.

I still get them on my back and very occassionally my jaw or back of neck although those are much smaller now. If it is the acidiy, then I guess it is the tomatoes, lemon in my tea or other fruits & juices I consume that aren't as bad as OJ that still trigger the few cysts I get. I haven't tried a tangerine or grapefruit for fear that they are just as bad as oranges.

I learned to avoid oranges from a coworker who announced one Monday that she had several glasses of orange juice at weekend breakfasts and now she had several cysts on her chin. Don't know how she made the connection. My dermatologist didn't believe me. But once I had the theory, I was able to observe that I got cysts almost the next day if any time I ate an orange or drank OJ.

It's a pain because my family absolutely refuses to remember that I can't drink orange juice and there isn't much else to drink at most restaurants for breakfast. Dont see why they can't have pineapple or mango or something.

Closed Thread