It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran

turbonamja HB User
smoothbeam and fotofacials

Has anyone tried these laser treatments? Here is something I found about smoothbeam acne laser treatment ....

SMOOTHBEAM™ FOR ACNE
NATURE OF THE PROCEDURE

The Smoothbeam laser emits a beam of light that will shrink and alter the sebaceous glands underneath the skin. These are the glands that produce the oil that feeds the bacteria which cause subsequent inflammation. Instead of drying out the skin (Retin A and benzoyl peroxides) or killing the germs (oral antibiotics) or drying up the oil production on a short term basis (Accutane), the Smoothbeam laser actually alters these glands. Since oil production is decreased, there is no need to kill any bacteria or produce any further surface drying. The Smoothbeam laser emits the longest wavelength for this purpose, and thus penetrates to an exact level to selectively alter these glands. This is the first FDA-approved laser available for this purpose. A reduction in lesion count may be seen immediately after the first treatment and may continue to be seen with subsequent sessions. During initial studies, even six months after the completion of therapy, there was up to 100% decrease in lesion count in some patients. In addition, Smoothbeam has also been FDA approved for the treatment of acne scarring! It stimulates the underlying collagen to grow more and fill in the scar! No other laser treats active acne lesions while improving old scarring at the same time!

SMOOTHBEAM™ FOR ACNE AND SCARS
NATURE OF THE PROCEDURE

The Smoothbeam laser emits a beam of light that will stimulate your collagen to grow. The actual treatment is preceded and followed by a gentle cooling spray which will reduce any discomfort. Once this collagen grows, it will help fill in wrinkles at the treated sites, and may help fill in acne scars as well for the very same reason.
This treatment is non-ablative, and there is virtually no risk or downtime. You may immediately return to work, school, or other social activities. The Smoothbeam differs from other lasers for this purpose because it currently has the longest wavelength currently available for the deepest penetration into the skin. The N-Lite laser only has a wavelength of 585 nanometers, and the CoolTouch II only has 1320 nanometers. Only the Smoothbeam laser has the longest wavelength of 1450 nanometers which will give the deepest penetration into the collagen.

No test dose is necessary, the treatment is virtually in apparent, and the collagen regrowth will occur slowly and in a gentle yet effective fashion.

I am up to take this laser treatment in July followed by a follow up in August. Let me know what you guys think about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Veteran

turbonamja HB User
Re: smoothbeam and fotofacials

anyone had this done?

Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran

turbonamja HB User

anyone had this done before?

Old 06-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

How much is this costing you and is it for adult acne only?

Old 06-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran

turbonamja HB User

I think its for all ages ... not sure how much it will cost ... supposedly my insurance might cover the charges ... it seems to have a real high success rate and very quick results.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:15 PM   #6

jen56 HB User

I have had smoothbeam 6 times and noticed no real improvement in acne, definitely not any improvement for cysts. My scarring doesnt really appear to be any better...maybe 10% but that could be pushing it. Some people have had really good results....just like anything else....it seems to work better for some than others

Old 06-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfen56
I have had smoothbeam 6 times and noticed no real improvement in acne, definitely not any improvement for cysts. My scarring doesnt really appear to be any better...maybe 10% but that could be pushing it. Some people have had really good results....just like anything else....it seems to work better for some than others
true. hopefully it will help in my case. i have mild acne ... and there will be days where i might have maybe 3-4 pimples at the most. other days i will have multiple breakouts ... so hopefully this treatment can get rid of the problem areas on my face. also get rid of the scarring i had from acne before.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Not from experience, but from hearing from a lot of people. Lasers generally don’t work that well for acne (and not at all for cysts). If you have active cysts you really need to look into accutane since that seems to be the only real cure. If you have mild to moderate acne (more like smaller acne, a lot of whiteheads) laser could work good for you.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User

I have yet to hear from one person that has had success with Smoothbeam on this board. I did 3 treatments and it did nothing but scar my face with little moon shaped scars. It looked worse than the acne. 6 months later all but two or three of the scars are gone, but they made me miserable! Be careful and don't waste your money. If you want to try it and can afford (financially and emotionally) a let down then go for it. Unofrtunately, I was suckered in to $600 per treatment.

Closed Thread