It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
Inactive

idealist1976 HB User
regreting taking accutane...please read

for those who don't know my story, here is a quick overview: mild acne in highschool. moderate in college. took topicals and antibiotics from 18 - 25. then at 25 took two course of ac****ane. clear for about a year and a half, then acne came back with a vengenance. currently controlling acne with diet, bc, and exfoliation.

i regret taking accutane more than eating poorly and more than the years of antibiotics because i just read about how accutane can cause long-term permanent damage. i had known that DURING taking accutane is dangerous. but i didn't know that AFTER is dangerous too.

see, when my acne came back after the second course of accutane, it was worse than ever before. god...i was wishing my skin was like in college! it was that much worse. not only was it worse, but it was DIFFERENT. the location, the type. i never used to get any acne on the side of my face, just in the t-zone. this time i was getting acne on the side of my face. And this time the acne was DEEPER. i was even getting blackheads on the side of my face! and they would get imflamed and hurt and leave scars. i never had acne leave scars before accutane.

what scared me: i just did a some internet research on long-term affects of accutane and read about how acne can be worse after accutane because not only does it damage the oil glands...it damages/weakens the liver. the liver is responsible for cleaning toxins out of the body.

i think my liver was weakned. because now i notice when i slip off the diet, even SLIGHTLY, i get pimples. PRE accutane i used to eat crap all the time, so of course my skin was bad but the thing is it was never as bad as POST accutane..

recently, i was really good with avoiding sweets and bread for about two weeks straight (a record for me) and my skin was looking GREAT. and then a few days ago i had some desserts. then a few days later...a couple bad blemishes this sucks for me because i have a bad sweettooth. i've cleaned up my diet about 95 percent. i was hoping i'd be able to enjoy the occaisional chocolate mouse or ice cream. but that doesn't seem to be the case.

i am angry at myself, i am angry at the medical profession and angry at pharmmecuticals. and i'm scared and sad. i wish i had known about diet/hormone/acne connection years ago. i would have never taken accutane or years of antibiotics.

if anyone has had similar experience with acne being worse after accutane or other ailments after accutane i'd like to hear about it and what you are doing know to control your acne.

also, i've read on the posts. milkthistle is supposed to be good the help the liver and hence acne. i would appreciate any first hand experience about this.

thanks for "listening"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User
Re: regreting taking accutane...please read

Is there any way a doctor can run some test to see if your liver has been damaged?

Old 06-19-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

I get my blood tested every month. This is my second cycle and there has never been a problem. I know exactly what you mean about being angry. Mind as I said in my thread came back with a vengeance too this month. However, I really think all this long term side effects stuff about accutane is 90% **********. People get depressed afterwards and they blame accutane! Have they ever thought that maybe there parents who just seperated or there friends that ditched them was the cause of it? No, they immediately blame accutane cause it's easier. A lot of it is mental too, if you read all this crap about side effects the mind is a powerful thing and if you believe your having aches and pains in your body or loss of night vision, you probably will. Those are little so called "side effects" of accutane. Don't believe everything you hear, sometimes when something is so good people have to bash it.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #4

Max_Payne HB User

take milk thistle for 3 months and see how it works out!

Old 06-19-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
(female)

malia81 HB User

just like you i took Accutane...except i took 4 courses! and though i didn't realize it before, i DID start breaking out in other places afterwards. i only got acne on my forehead pre-Accutane but after just one course, i started breaking out on my cheeks. the skin there used to be BEAUTIFUL and now...well it looks like crap. it does damage you liver whether blood tests show it or not. now i am 22 and have high triglycerides and cholesterol. i am going to start exercising and doing liver flushing to see if it helps. but it will be a long road before (if) i see any improvement. also, i am taking milk thistle, though irregularly, day to day.

good luck!

Old 06-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #6

aaron7 HB User

hey ideal,

just wondering, but what diet works for you. basically what do you eat...and what do you avoid.

I've been doing experimenting with diets and these are definites so far:

OK to eat:
backed meats, like salmon, beef (grilled i'm not sure about), chicken. all veg, except eggplant. all berries, cherries, plums, peaches. steamed rice (i think is ok). jogurt seems to be ok. potatos are ok...

NOT OK to eat:
anything fried, greasy, like fried chicken wings. Acidic fruits, like lemons.
too much candy or chocolate straight up. Too much diary milk.

NOT SURE BUT VERY IMPORTANT TO FIND OUT (HELP!)
bread, (wheat, full corn wheat, rye)
pasta (normal)
rice (i think it's ok, but not sure) -could be bad.

Basically, I think i can tolerate most things in moderation so it's really hard for me to tell what is ok and what is not. I think bread wheat and pasta and maybe rice could be not ok too...but not sure. I usually see the effects the next day with a 3 day lagged effect time...meaning up to 3 days later i can still be getting zits from the 1st meal.

Old 06-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #7

reeny HB User
Thumbs down Re: regreting taking accutane...please read

I too had a very bad experience with Accutane that has permanently affected my vision. I have poor night vision now, unable to perceive depth properly. I never had vision problems before Accutane. Dermatologist at the time told me it would be temporary, but 3 years later I still have poor night vision!
I'd warn anyone to stop taking drug immediately if you have any sign of serious side effects as I did. By the way, my excellent vision has not returned, but the acne has. I seriously regret ever taking Accutane. Be careful and good luck to all.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
Inactive

idealist1976 HB User

aaron7,

the diet i've been on is the low-carb (simple/bad carb), low dairy, low sugar diet. i've actually been trying to ELIMINATE all this stuff, but it's just too hard. i'm kind of a scrawny and tend to lose weight fast. also, i'm semi-vegetarian (poultry on occasion only) so that make it even harder.

basically, i try not to eat anything that has been "pre-made" so to speak; so all commericial type stuff is out of the picture; stuff that has been prepackaged ready to eat and stuff with preservatives/additives. so i really almost make everything from "scratch." i concume mostly vegetables, beans, and brown rice. i make beans from the dried, not can. i don't eat anything canned. i make my own salad dressing too b/c even the "healthier" brands of commerical dressings have added sugars and preservatives.

as for pasta and white rice, i've read many people do have a negative reaction to these, but don't realize it until they eliminate it and then notice a skin difference. in general, wheat can be an acne culprit, but not for everyone. i notice when i eat wheat products my skin gets oilier. so now i only eat brown rice. instead of regular pasta, i eat buckwheat pasta (buckwheat is an herb, not really a grain). 100% buckwheat pasta is expensive and doesn't taste so great. so i buy 100% and the "blended" SOBA pasta and then mix the two. this way it tastes a little better and you get more while at the same time not eating as much "wheat". there are also brown rice pastas, but i haven't gotten around to trying it. oh...and the sauce! unfortunately, i don't have the time or the knowledge to make my own but luckily there is an italian deli nearby that makes their own, with really pure ingredients (no additives or preservatives). i noticed the commercial brands, even paul newman brand of sauces, have high fructose corn syrup and other "impurities."

hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #9
Inactive

idealist1976 HB User

diselpower4,

that's a good question. unfortunately i don't have health insurance right now so i can't ask my doctor about it. i have had my liver enzymes checked recently and they were fine. so i don't know if that's good enough evidence that my liver is ok. maybe my liver is ok, but not functioning as well as it should be. maybe there is no test for that. i do plan on researching this more and also milk thistle.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Hey Reeny, I'm sorry to hear about your vision problems. You may wish to try taking 10,000 IU's daily of vitamin A, as it is known to promote and restore eyesight.

Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 PM   #11
(male)

zahradream HB User

Im on my third course accutane. After the first two i learned two lessons.
Eat a proper diet while on acc, and supplement with vitamins. MIlk thistle flushes your liver, so i take it every few months for a week so my liver doesn't overload, vit E and b12 and I take biotin for hair thinning, eat garlic for bp.. and drink plenty of h20.... Its obviously not that difficult. You should read up on it since you're on the internet anyways. I've never been better!!

Old 06-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

I've been on 2 courses of accutane and what people have to realize is that accutane helps ALOT of people. Changes a lot of peopleís lives for the better, and yes anyone taking it will have to take risks. But for a lot of people itís the only thing that will help and itís worth the risk.

Old 06-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User
Thumbs up Re: regreting taking accutane...please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealist1976
diselpower4,

that's a good question. unfortunately i don't have health insurance right now so i can't ask my doctor about it. i have had my liver enzymes checked recently and they were fine. so i don't know if that's good enough evidence that my liver is ok. maybe my liver is ok, but not functioning as well as it should be. maybe there is no test for that. i do plan on researching this more and also milk thistle.
GOOD LUCK with that. It always helps when you do alot of research.

Old 06-27-2004, 09:57 PM   #14
Inactive

prometheus HB User

Accutane is a chemical derivative of vitamin A...it is that way because if you were taking that much of real vitamin A, you would die. I don't know if it is a good idea to take large amounts of vitamin A before during or after Accutane.

Old 06-28-2004, 01:19 AM   #15

soulman HB User

There is no such thing as regrets man. You do it and you take it like a man or women.

It was your choice to take it, no one force you to do it. You have to live by your decision. What you are doing now is making others that is on this drug worried.

"Everything happens for a reason", I am sure everybody knows that.

"It was meant to be".

Closed Thread