It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User
Moisturizer and cleanser suggestion when usingTazorac?

Im peeling and so dry!! Nothing I've tried works, any suggestions for OTC moisturizers and cleansers? thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #2

Owhyze1 HB User
Re: Moisturizer and cleanser suggestion when usingTazorac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdiva26
Im peeling and so dry!! Nothing I've tried works, any suggestions for OTC moisturizers and cleansers? thanks!
When I was on tazorac, I used Purpose bar to wash my face although my skin wasn't dry and didn't peel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #3

shawngt2 HB User

I was on Tazorac for a year and it worked amazing. I went through a very ugly first two months though. After getting out of the shower I found my skin to flake off like crazy after drying off. So I would take a facecloth to rub the skin off when it was still wet and that caused my face to glow red for hours. It's either that or walk around with dry dead skin all over. I found using a moisturizer just burned and stung when applying. So, I went completely solo and just used Tazorac and that's all. I hear a very good moisturizer is called Glaxal Base which I never tried. It's the bare bones moisturizer with nothing added. It's the base that all other moisturizers start from. So I would expect that to be the least irritating. As for cleansers. Use the mildest possible. I suggest like the neotrogena bar which has no soap and is very mild. I still use that to this day. Hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

thanks - i will get that!!!! same thing, i scrub the skin off and get all pink. yo u cant win! and i already went on accutane twice - im going backwards lol

Old 07-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #5

shawngt2 HB User

Also, another little suggestion missdiva, if you can no longer stand the peeling and redness of Tazorac and it's worked for you don't stop taking it because slowly but surely acne will creep back. This treatment is slow and it returns slow. So, I suggest going on Differin (Adapalene) which is just as effective and I get NO side effects.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

i was on differin, did not do much for me. the derm said in my case tazorac woudl be better than that or retin a

Old 07-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #7

shawngt2 HB User

What type of acne do you have? How long did you try Differin? How long on Tazorac now? Most importantly, is it working so far (initial outbreak etc.)?

Old 07-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

Ok heres the short story Sister and I at age 15 and 19 respectively both had problem skin - just overall issues, nothing horrible but consistent and enough - both went on accutane (this is back in 1995-1998) twice and it helped her permanently but not me.

I went on Retin A around 2000, a little better but then back again. Then in 2002 I went on Differin and it helped a bit again, but as soon as I got off - nothing. and not enough of an improvement to keep it up. I moved to a warm climate so just waited to see if it would improve, but as of mid 2004 (now its not. Its not cystic, its just more like marks, dots, enlarged pores, uneven skin, oily and dry - weird combo, and bad around my mouth area.

So he suggested Tazorac as Im 26 now and have been trying things for 9 years! It turns out I may have a hormone inbalance which would explain this so I may end up having to go on birth control for it (totally other topic!) but that might explain why nothing has worked. I would stay away from Accutane if you can - some of the stores I read are horrible.

Differin may work for you - i know some people who had great results, and it wasnt that harsh for me. Or retin-a micro. good luck!

Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

6 week update:

Good improvement, was red/peeling for a week now back to normal - i see about 50 percent improvement and progressively getting better, with no irritation

Pores are still large so im not sure if any topical can even help that issue - but overall tazorac is a huge plus!

Closed Thread