It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 07:14 AM   #1

pbear8 HB User
Unhappy How can I make my skin less oily ?

I am 35 years old and my acne has become increasingly worse in the last year or so. I get cysts all the time!!! Mostly on my chin, but also next to my nose ocassionally. It used to be that I would get cysts at that time of the month (hormonal) but now it is all the time. And I don't just get one...I have many at a time. It is very frustrating.. to say the least.

What I want to know is how can I reduce my oil prodcution. I think that that is my problem. I get very oily and maybe that is the culprit? Unless someone can give me other suggestions.

My situation is that I am trying to have a baby so B.control meds are out and so are any antibiotics.
Do you know of any 'natural' ways (herbs , vitamins etc) to reduce oil or get rid of these things??

Thank you so much

Old 07-05-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Inactive

Crapple67 HB User
Re: How can I make my skin less oily ?

Vitamin B5 is suppose to decrease oil production. I would try 2-3g a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #3

Nickcola HB User

Have you ever tried a mask it works wonders for me cause I am so oily.. I can wash my face and 20 minutes later be so oily until I tried the mask and I use it twice a week

Old 07-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #4

azgirl79 HB User

Hi,

I have a very oily skin and i tried some of the homemade face packs from the following link. They really worked. My skin now feels fresh and smooth.

http://19.5degs.com/element/465.php#homemade-natural-face-packs

All the best.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:37 PM   #5

cuongsy HB User

This isn't a solution to your problems as far internally, but externally there's an oil reduction lotion which Dermologica produces which works very well. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. In fact all of Dermalogica products are very good. I personally use the clay oil reduction cleanser and the lotion stated above.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear8
I am 35 years old and my acne has become increasingly worse in the last year or so. I get cysts all the time!!! Mostly on my chin, but also next to my nose ocassionally. It used to be that I would get cysts at that time of the month (hormonal) but now it is all the time. And I don't just get one...I have many at a time. It is very frustrating.. to say the least.

What I want to know is how can I reduce my oil prodcution. I think that that is my problem. I get very oily and maybe that is the culprit? Unless someone can give me other suggestions.

My situation is that I am trying to have a baby so B.control meds are out and so are any antibiotics.
Do you know of any 'natural' ways (herbs , vitamins etc) to reduce oil or get rid of these things??

Thank you so much
Which facial wash/moisturizer/foundation are you using?? do the contain oil? Could they be contributing/causing the problem??

Old 07-06-2004, 07:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Do you moisturize? If not, you should start. Skin that is not moisturized will produce more oil than skin that is moisturized. Try jojoba oil.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:05 AM   #8

pbear8 HB User

Thanks for all of your replies.

As for the B5, I was reading up on it and it mentions that people planning on getting pregnant , are pregnant etc should consult their doctor as they are unsure of the effects (Still have to read more on that though)

I do try masks, but never tried the homemade ones...must give those a try , thanks!

CUONGSY: What is this oil reduction lotion that you are talking about? How does that work? Where can I purchase it? (I'm in Canada)

As for a moisturizer I use Bodyshop vit E cream, which i've been using for years.

As for cleansers I use grapefruit seed extract and Thursday Plantation's Tree Tree Daily Face wash. I looked at the ingredients and the only oil in contains is Tea Tree oil - which I use also separately.

I do'nt know why my face is like this...A few years ago I would be a cyst here and there and my doc put me on Diane 35, In a few months I was barely getting anything. I was on it for a year. it worked wonders! Then I got married and came off of the Diane and then all hell broke loose! Cysts like I never had them before!!

I tried the brown rice diet. I had gone to my natropath for migrains and she put me on that as an elimination diet to see what foods triggered my migraines. Well I thought for sure, with no sugar, flour, salt, gluten etc I would clear up...but NO! I was even on flax seed and fish oil at the time thinking that would work... I was taking soy shakes, and though that it might be the soy so I switched to rice based products and no change. So I guess it isn't food...

I just can't figure out why this is happening...it's such an embarassment as my age. (Not saying that it isn't at any other age mind you )

Thanks for your support and ideas...

Old 07-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

I found quitting my moisturizing to be the best thing for my face. Maybe using a tiny bit (i was using quite a bit, 2 or more times a day tho) every other day would be good, or when its really dry. But i find that letting my face produce its own oil, my face has gotten so much better, and i don't get cysts anymore. I am gonna get Bananna Boat Faces Lotion, and use that on some occasions, because i think a SPF is needed, also it moisturizes. But i wont go back to every day, every other day or few days for me, my skin is w00t w00t gettin g00d. GL

Old 07-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #10

Lynn37 HB User

Pbear, I am 37 years old and my skin is still so greasy, I can't believe it. For yeasr, people have said, "Oh, just think how that oil will help your skin to look less wrinkled when you're older." Wrong. If anything, it makes it look worse. The oil settles into the creases and just makes them look more defined. And the yeasr of benzyl peroxide and other medicatoions haven't helped. Anyway, don't be embarassed. Many women I know (all in their 30's) still have pimples and oil. It is definitely due to hormonal conditions.

Regarding your desire to get pregnant. If I were you, I would not take large amounts of any vitamins while trying to get pregnant, or while pregnant. They could harm your baby. On a positive note, perhaps pregnancy will be good for your skin. I have had 3 children. While pregnant with the first two, my skin looked exactly the same. However, this last pregnancy did wonders for my skin. My oil was WAY, WAY down and my skin actually looked better than the two times in my life I took accutane. So, have hope!!!!

Right now, I am taking spironolactone for the oil and pimples. Unfortuantely, it is not working, but I just upped the dose a bit, so perhaps it will work soon.

Good luck!! ANd remember not to be embarassed. If you look around you, you will see that MANY older women have acne.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #11

Lynn37 HB User

Pbear, I am 37 years old and my skin is still so greasy, I can't believe it. For years, people have said, "Oh, just think how that oil will help your skin to look less wrinkled when you're older." Wrong. If anything, it makes it look worse. The oil settles into the creases and just makes them look more defined. And the years of benzoyl peroxide and other medications haven't helped. Anyway, don't be embarassed. Many women I know (all in their 30's) still have pimples and oil. It is definitely due to hormonal conditions.

Regarding your desire to get pregnant. If I were you, I would not take large amounts of any vitamins while trying to get pregnant, or while pregnant. They could harm your baby. On a positive note, perhaps pregnancy will be good for your skin. I have had 3 children. While pregnant with the first two, my skin looked exactly the same. However, this last pregnancy did wonders for my skin. My oil was WAY, WAY down and my skin actually looked better than the two times in my life I took accutane. So, have hope!!!!

Right now, I am taking spironolactone for the oil and pimples. Unfortuantely, it is not working, but I just upped the dose a bit, so perhaps it will work soon.

Good luck!! ANd remember not to be embarassed. If you look around you, you will see that MANY older women have acne.

Oh, by the way, I agree with dfwgoodguy. People are always saying your skin will produce more oil if you don't moisturize. In my case, that is pure rubbish. If I use anything with moisture in it (besides water), my skin is MUCH worse in 24 hours. I don't even use sunscreen on my face. I just wear a visor. Personally, I just try to avoid overdrying my skin in the first place by using a gentle cleanser.

Last edited by Lynn37; 07-07-2004 at 11:51 AM.

Closed Thread