It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2004, 08:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
?? for long term antibiotic users

My daughter has used anti's since she was 12 and is 16 now. The best one was Bactrim which worked for a year or so remarkably. For those of you who have used them for years and years, how do you keep that going? And if one stops working for you can you give it a rest and then come back to it? Or do you just keep switching. She's never used doxycycline so I was wondering if that could work now.

The new derm (Dr. Jerk, now history) told her that her only option was accutane or his very expensive omnilux lamp system, with levulon. He showed her before and after photos of people 10 times worse than her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User
Re: ?? for long term antibiotic users

There are numerous POTENTIAL dangers that put long-term antibiotic users at risk. In the first place, as you have already discovered with Bactrim, the targeted bacteria tend gradually to develop an immunity to the antibiotic, which ultimately makes them that much less responsive to treatment. Further, prolonged courses of antibiotics can also upset the natural balance of certain strains of bacteria in or on the body, often allowing certain gram-negative varieties to overgrow, causing further problems. Finally, antibiotics can accumulate overtime in the body with the possible consequence of serious damage to longterm health. On a personal note, I used tetracycline for a period just exceeding three months and developed serious headaches on account of an acculumation of fluid around the brain and the consequent pressure it created. Thankfully, the pressure abated within weeks of my stopping tetracycline: at the same time, this particular condition (called pseudotumor cerebri - literally "fake brain tumour") is not only extremely rare, but far more superficial than the symptoms would seem to suggest. Suffice it to say that you should certainly speak to your dermatologist about the possible consequences of longterm antibiotic use before simply filling a prescription. In the event the doctor doesn't ask, always apprize him or her of your daughter's history with antibiotics - this is useful for obvious reasons, particularly in the treatment of gram-negative infections.

Last edited by Tiefer479; 07-10-2004 at 11:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2004, 02:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

So, the options with acne treatment are to take anti's till they stop working and then go to accutane? What else do you suggest? Is accutane "safer" when weighed against long-term antibiotic use?

Old 07-11-2004, 03:17 AM   #4

lionna HB User

its different for everyone..

i am using doxy now, about 2.5 months into it and i *finally* see results(85% clear.. only little itty bitty ones which dissapear in 24 hours).. i am planning to go the 6 month course with the doxy, then wean myself from it while gradually begining birth control pills.. i had bad cystic acne and was avoiding every food under the sun (i eat choc., cheese, wheat, etc. again and am fine) to no avail.. i used B5 to no avail..

i remember at one point i was using OTC for purely birth control properties and had flawless skin.. the antibiotic i am using now to get the cysts to stop forming and scarring.. then i am going back to BCPs.. they seem safe enough for continued usage as per prescribing info..

from the reading that i have done, it seems that one can switch to a different antibiotic after a specific kind has stopped working(from doxy to mino, or from tetra to doxy, etc..) but before accutane (which has many, many bad potential side effects) why not try diane 35, spiro or other BCPs..? 100% of women who used diane 35 for 12 months had complete success defeating acne in a study i read..

i plan on weaning myself from antibiotics after the 6 month mark and using OTC or diane 35.. im not a doctor, but i am satisfied with the results i have seen so far with the antibiotics and am planning on using anti. only as a 'stepping stone' towards freedom..

good luck to you and your daughter..

Old 07-11-2004, 04:52 AM   #5

Steuby HB User

My daughter used minocycline for about 1 1/2 yrs....it worked GREAT and then she weaned herself off and went on BC. She was fine for about 2 yrs. till she switched to OrthoTriCyclineLO...this one has broken her out very badley for 6 months. We went to the derm approx. 2 weeks ago...he gave her Doxycycline and Duac cream and told her to continue the OTC-Lo for another few months. She's been on the new combo 11 days and it's already clearing her VERY well.
I've had 2 derms tell me the antibiotics are SAFE for long term use. My daughter has had NO problems. She had 1 yeast infection the first time with mino...cleared it up and had no further problems. From what I've read on here, accutane seems as much a "temporary" fix as anything else. I've read time and time again about people finishing the course and the acne is back!
And the side effects certainly SEEM much more severe and permanant than antibiotics. Just my personal observation. GOOD LUCK

Old 07-11-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

My daughter has been on orthotricyclen now for the past 4 months specifically for her acne. It's done nothing, in fact, she's worse. Now she wants to switch to ortho lo because she said she gets mood swings. I don't know if perhaps Yasmin or adding spironolactone would help. I wonder if Yasmin makes you less moody. She just started back on her Bactrim which she stopped in March because it appeared to have stopped working. It may still have been doing more than we thought.

She's been on minocycline, minocin (worked better than minocycline but gave her headaches), erythromycin, amoxicilln, I think one other and then on to Bactrim which worked the best. Hey, we never tried Doxycycline. Do you think that could work after she's taken all of these others?

Old 07-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Long term antobiotics are not really dangerous. Just less good bacteria and a high chance that the bacteria will build immunity. The good thing about accutane you take it for 5 months and thats is. While anti's you take them every day for years.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiselPower4
Long term antobiotics are not really dangerous. Just less good bacteria and a high chance that the bacteria will build immunity. The good thing about accutane you take it for 5 months and thats is. While anti's you take them every day for years.

Yeah, that's it until it returns. I know some people get lucky but a lot have to go on it again and again. My daughter is considering it but only as a last resort. I have to admit, I've encouraged her to try accutane because I am so sick of this problem. I think she might rather exhaust the antibiotic route first, however, so that's why I'm asking questions. She's afraid of the peely lips; afraid of being dry as cob and looking ugly that way. Afraid of the red face and losing her hair. Antibiotics in the past have cleared her completely with no side effects and so she remembers those days. She also is not at the end of her rope yet. She seems to be able to live with acne (better than me) even though she doesn't like it.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Given your daughter's history with antibiotics, your dermatologist would likely consent to prescribe accutane. I personally was on the drug twice and never experienced any side-effect (at least that I could detect) save for the inevitable dry lips. It is important to have periodic bloodwork and urine tests done while on the drug to ensure that the liver is not being adversely affected. Ultimately, it is really a question of the individual's biological constitution - some people will encounter virtually every side-effect while others encounter virtually none. If you are still reticent about accutane (as you probably should be), you may wish to have your daughter try vitamin supplements - particularly zinc, and vitamins A,C, and E. Studies have shown zinc to be as effective as tetracycline in reducing inflammation.

Last edited by Tiefer479; 07-11-2004 at 01:08 PM.

Old 07-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieferSchlummer
Given your daughter's history with antibiotics, your dermatologist would likely consent to prescribe accutane. I personally was on the drug twice and never experienced any side-effect (at least that I could detect) save for the inevitable dry lips. It is important to have periodic bloodwork and urine tests done while on the drug to ensure that the liver is not being adversely affected. Ultimately, it is really a question of the individual's biological constitution - some people will encounter virtually every side-effect while others encounter virtually none. If you are still reticent about accutane (as you probably should be), you may wish to have your daughter try vitamin supplements - particularly zinc, and vitamins A,C, and E. Studies have shown zinc to be as effective as tetracycline in reducing inflammation.

She could have had it by now. The derm said he'd write out a prescription immediately but she wasn't sure and she also hated him from the start and didn't want to be treated by him. He really was very condescending and patronizing. The general practitioner also would put her on it so there's no shortage of prescriptions. I'm just now getting her interested in trying supplements and being more vigilant about nutrition in general. How much zinc, A, C and E would you suggest?

Old 07-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

Each day I personally take 50 mg. of zinc, 10,000 I.U.'s of vitamin A, 400 I.U.'s of vitamin E, and 1,000 mg of vitamin C (one can safely afford to take more of the latter). The zinc seems to have made the biggest overall difference.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Thanks Tiefer - what kind of zinc do you take? Some people seem to prefer one over the other.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Tiefer479 HB User

I buy the Jamieson Natural Sources Zinc - it's elemental zinc (gluconate) and shouldn't cost you much more than 7 or 8 dollars.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:07 PM   #14

lionna HB User

just so you know, zinc interferes with doxy absorption.. and from prescribing info, it takes 6 months to see results with OTC.. even antibiotics take 6 months for the full effects.. dont give up hope! i never thought this day would come: i eat chocolate and have smooth skin.. if it can happen for me, it can happen for her.. its impossible and terrible feeling, and i sympathize.. just stick with one antibiotic or BCP for the 6 months, then move on..

Old 07-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionna
just so you know, zinc interferes with doxy absorption.. and from prescribing info, it takes 6 months to see results with OTC.. even antibiotics take 6 months for the full effects.. dont give up hope! i never thought this day would come: i eat chocolate and have smooth skin.. if it can happen for me, it can happen for her.. its impossible and terrible feeling, and i sympathize.. just stick with one antibiotic or BCP for the 6 months, then move on..
Thanks lliona - so do you think it would be bad to switch to orthotricyclen lo from the regular at 5 months? she thinks she's getting mood swings.

Closed Thread