It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 12:26 AM   #1

bored HB User
time needed for pimples marks and redness to go away?

hey i've been using retin A 0.025% with doxycycline antibiotics 100 mg once a day...for a mth
now there isnt any new pimples coming out...
but i still have those previous initial breakout and some redness from the retin A and other redness due to the pimples..and some red/black marks from dying pimples...
so how long do redness and pimples mark take to subsize ??anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 04:59 AM   #2

ScOOba HB User
Re: time needed for pimples marks and redness to go away?

It can take up to six months for the pimple marks to clear completely, depending on the size and location on your face.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #3

babii piink HB User

Well personally. My marks havn't faded in almost 6 years. There still there. It sucks balls. So everyone pimple I get, it's like I have to wait another 6 years before it goes away completely without some trace left behind.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #4

Beams222 HB User

It will probably take at least a year. Every zit I get leaves a mark, even if I never touch it. At times I may only have a couple of pimples but my acne looks a lot worse because I have red marks all over my face. I've been to several dermatologists and one told me it will take at least a year, and that Retin-A is the best thing for it because it helps to exfoliate your skin or something. More like, it burns it all off so you shed a few layers. Ugh! I don't like retin-a. It never helped me, only made me red and irritated, and I used it for a couple of years and it just never helped my acne. Another derm gave me prescription for Lustra (it has hydroquinone in it) and told me that it will take several months before I see results but eventually it will help all the red marks go away so to keep using it. I used it for a while, but I didn't want to use it twice a day because it was greasy and you can't use it along with products that contain AHA or BHA's, so I eventually stopped using it. I now go to a different derm and I'll ask him about it next time I see him. I think the best thing is time, unless you get a chemical peel or dermabrasion, but even with dermabrasion, you have to go for several sessions. If you have the money, you should check into that.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Babi Piink - what kind of acne do you have? (Cysts or a lot of the smaller ones). Also, have you ever considered getting some sort of chemical peels or procedure to help them?

Old 07-18-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
(male)

avron HB User

if you're speaking of normal zits(pustules) those take about seven weeks until the inflammation is gone and until they pop.
the redness they leave can stay there from weeks up to six months, sometimes longer.

if you exfoliate your face more often, the redness will go down quicker. (ie: if you're a guy, and you shave daily, you'll notice redness around the jawline don't last very long)

Old 07-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #7

LaAlltheway0034 HB User

i sometimes get really big zits, but once i pop them it takes about 1-2 weeks for the redness and scar to go away. i think some of yall are exzaderating(sp?) a lil to much

Old 07-20-2004, 02:03 AM   #8

aaron7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAlltheway0034
i sometimes get really big zits, but once i pop them it takes about 1-2 weeks for the redness and scar to go away. i think some of yall are exzaderating(sp?) a lil to much
Nah man...I used to have the exact same thing...i.e. the mark would go away in like 3 days after the zit...but now it totally takes at least 2 weeks to be all gone...and sometimes months...1-2 and very rarely also over (i've had one bad mark that lasted like 7months). I think this could have something to do with all the crap we put on our face like bp...etc...the skin just can't recover as quickly...could also be an age thing.

anyway...when you say go away...you mean like completely...when you look carefully in the mirror...the spot looks just exactly the same as the rest of the skin right...i.e. its still a mark if more blood just flows to the area now (i think a lot of those marks are like...if you press on it, and then let go...the skin looks normal...until the blood rushes back in and then you can see it be alittle darker/more blood or so).

Old 07-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #9

Beams222 HB User

I have very pale skin and everything leaves a mark on my face. I have discoloration from pimples that I had ages ago. Even though sometimes my skin is almost completely clear, it looks like I have bad acne because of all the red marks. I don't even pick at my face or use harsh cleansers. My face has been this way for as long as I can remember. My derm said it will take about a year for them to go away, that's why I need accutane, to stop my acne so I can stop all the red marks. After, when it's OK, I may get a chemical peel or dermabrasion.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I think it is the age thing as to how long it takes for the marks to go away. When I was a teenager it would take about a week for them to go away. Now I have red marks on my face from a year ago. I am 34. They especially look red right after I wash my face.

Closed Thread