It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 09:13 AM   #1

babii piink HB User
I have a theory.

Do you think more people who have acne are more prone to getting depression? Because think about it, our homones are raging more & could distub the brain cells and cause depression. Just a thought. Anyone agree?

Old 07-18-2004, 10:01 AM   #2

mayhembrown HB User
Re: I have a theory.

im not being nasty, but i think i/we are depressed becuase of our acne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #3

invisablebeauty HB User

its def. a major factor, of having acne, that contributes to some people's depression. for me, it was a major factor. i woke up every morning feeling so ugly and so bad about myself. girls in school would tease me and boys would make fun of me, and that sure doesnt do any good for ur self esteem. i went on prozac 2 yrs ago, and its helped a lot. i dont cry barely as much as i used to.i feel better about myself , but there are still those days where i feel like its not fair and sometimes i still get down about why acne had to affect me, and not everyone else i know. but yea..

Old 07-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #4

Geek_USA HB User

I have acne (well not really anymore after accutuane) and I was never depressed. However some people are, so yes I suppose your theory is correct. But not because of the brain cells or whatever, I think its because acne is something that makes some less attractive and this makes them depressed?

Old 07-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Inactive

Crapple67 HB User

It doesn't seem to help my depression any to have acne thats for sure. But for me depression is caused by a chemical (Seratonin) imbalance in my brain.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:54 PM   #6

euro18 HB User

I think acne made my depression a lot worse. Also, I seem to have more "issues" that I used to because of acne. for example, now that I am trying the diet route to clear my acne, I feel guilty if i eat certain foods, and am genuinely scared of consuming like a bowl of pasta! I hope these food issues will go away when my acne does.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

That's a very interesting theory. It seems like it could be true in some cases. I break out most right before and during my period. Also during this time, I often experience awful PMS along with nasty mood swings. I'm sure that the hormones are at least partially to blame for both the acne and mood swings.

Last edited by surrealmeal; 07-18-2004 at 02:58 PM.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babii piink
Do you think more people who have acne are more prone to getting depression? Because think about it, our homones are raging more & could distub the brain cells and cause depression. Just a thought. Anyone agree?

I was very depress but i didnt tell anyone . I would miss school, I wanted to drop out. I didnt want to go on dates. Now that im almost clear its the oppsite. And im on accutane which can give you depression.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:03 PM   #9

invisablebeauty HB User

yea, im the same, crapple. depression is a med. condition that runs in my family so yea. but the acne def. didnt make anything better

Old 07-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Depression has nothing to do with acne. Of course the acne can cause you to be depressed, but there’s no other connection than that. Like the previous person said, depression is from a chemical imbalance in your brain that has nothing to do with acne.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:23 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

I became very depressed once but it had nothing to do with my acne but all to do with the people in my social group. Eventually I did stray from this group and now the only thing in my entire life that gives me any grief is my acne. Money is not a problem, friends are certainly not a problem, family isn't a problem, but my acne causes me more grief then all 3 could put together.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

I became very depressed once but it had nothing to do with my acne but all to do with the people in my social group. Eventually I did stray from this group and now the only thing in my entire life that gives me any grief is my acne. Money is not a problem, friends are certainly not a problem, family isn't a problem, but my acne causes me more grief then all 3 could put together. I'm only 19 though and in my 5th month of accutane, so I will hopefully be posting a success story shortly and be grown out of it but in the meantime I am not depressed, I am just experiencing a lot of grief and frustration as a whole.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #13

JiminyBiscuit HB User

They will tell you there is a 'seratonin imbalance' in your brain because they want your money.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #14

blank HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhembrown
im not being nasty, but i think i/we are depressed becuase of our acne
i agree.

Closed Thread