It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #1

ess HB User
Question alternatives to using benzoyl peroxide?

i'm highly allergic to bp (as i discovered by a terrible reaction to Proaciv) and i seem to be keeping my face relatively clear with Avene soapless cleanser, although i am unable to find anything that works to clear up my body. i've tried so many things from oral antibiotics to antibiotic creams to paula's choice bha (which made it worse! to s.acid and nothing seems to help.

is anyone else allergic to bp?
have you been able to find something that works for body acne?

Old 07-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Inactive

joquiero HB User
Re: alternatives to using benzoyl peroxide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess
i'm highly allergic to bp (as i discovered by a terrible reaction to Proaciv) and i seem to be keeping my face relatively clear with Avene soapless cleanser, although i am unable to find anything that works to clear up my body. i've tried so many things from oral antibiotics to antibiotic creams to paula's choice bha (which made it worse! to s.acid and nothing seems to help.

is anyone else allergic to bp?
have you been able to find something that works for body acne?
I am drastically allergic to bp too. My derm gave me Cleania instead and its really good. If you try it, give it time to work as it takes at least a week. (I use it on the body also)

Or, if its for hard to clear areas like the back, I recently tried a tip i read on these boards - St Ives medicated scrub - I can see results after only using it 2 times!!! I don't use it on my face as its a bit drying.

Good luck

ps How is your diet? Are you trying to clear up from the inside too?

Last edited by joquiero; 07-19-2004 at 12:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #3

ess HB User

i was thinking of asking to try a retinoid like tazorac or retin-a-micro, but i'm worried that it'll make things worse before (or if at all) it helps. did you find that cleania had this affect (worse before better) or did it simply begin to improve over the week?

i live in canada and have been unable to find the st. ives medicated scrub, though i'll keep looking.

as for my diet, i met with a naturopathic medicine woman for the first time last week. since i mentioned that i'm lactose intolerant, she told me to help clear my skin i should stay off dairy COMPLETELY for 6 weeks (when i have a next apt' with her) and she put me on:

- fish oil omega3 capsules (1 daily w/ breakfast)
and
- acidophilus pills (2 times a day for one month)

the acidophilus she said is due to the fact that i've been on minocin (antibiotic) for my skin for a couple of months..

do you think this dairy free diet & supplements will help? i really wanted to try taking zinc since i've heard that it can help with acne, but she doesn't want me to try that until i see what happens after these 6 weeks. honestly, i feel so depressed about my skin and while i will stick with her advice internally, i also wish to use something topically at the same time..

Old 07-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Inactive

joquiero HB User

[QUOTE=ess]do you think this dairy free diet & supplements will help?/QUOTE]

It can't hurt!! There are many derms who say diet has no bearing on skin, but there are a considerable amount who think diet has EVERYTHING to do with skin. I've begun eating well and my skin is much better.

Also, cut your wheat at it messes up your intestinal flora. I assume you've already cut you refined sugars (bread, pasta, cakes, cookies etc)

if you're not a veggie, eat lots of salmon - its suposed to be the best food for the skin (and for the brain!!)

Good luck

ps The clenia didn't make the acne worse. I didn't notice any change for over a week and THEN I started to clear up.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #5

ess HB User

eep! joquiero, i've been having a lot of rye bread & brown rice lately because i don't know what the heck to eat if i can't have dairy! it's like fruits and veggies, fruits and veggies, fruits and veggies *sigh* that's my routine. i do eat tuna and a bit of white chicken breast but i don't eat red meat. the naturopath also told me to include salmon so i'm going to attempt that.. although what else can i be eating? perhaps i should check out the vegan section in grocery store? (tofu, veggie burger, etc?)

i'm going to ask about clenia, i greatly appreciate your input!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 AM   #6

aaron7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess
eep! joquiero, i've been having a lot of rye bread & brown rice lately because i don't know what the heck to eat if i can't have dairy! it's like fruits and veggies, fruits and veggies, fruits and veggies *sigh* that's my routine. i do eat tuna and a bit of white chicken breast but i don't eat red meat. the naturopath also told me to include salmon so i'm going to attempt that.. although what else can i be eating? perhaps i should check out the vegan section in grocery store? (tofu, veggie burger, etc?)

are you sure you can't have any dairy...i think i might be lactose intolerant too, but i am fine with jogurt and even melted cheese on pizza...i just can't have milk/other milk products that aren't cooked (basically i can't have cheese and milk...straight up...) that's it...can anyone explain this?

Old 07-20-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
Veteran

stasia12 HB User

i dont seem to have a problem with neutrogena's bp but had a horrid reaction to pro activ bp as well, so it may depend on the formulation. in fact pro activ left my face redder then it had been before i ever used it. i hope you gave paula's products a chance to work-exfoliators sometimes take awhile, but you could just have very very sensitive skin. I dont know what other BP products you have tried, but like i said, i havent experienced any reaction with neutrogena, so maybe you could give that whirl. if your skin iis this sensitive, your options as far as topical treatements are limited. stick with the most gentle, non irritating products you can find.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Inactive

joquiero HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess

You ought to check out some recipe sites to expand your culinary repertoire. When i first started eating better, I was bored coz I don't really know how to cook but have gotton a lot of great idea from various websites. the good thing about recipe sites is that you get lots of input and reviews from people who've tried making the dish so you can learn from their mistakes.

Mix your food up - create different textures by cutting veggies differently ie julienne, shred and cook in different ways ie saute, steam, bake, roast etc. And, try various sauces ie soy sauce, sweet and sour, lemon ginger and utilize fresh herbs. Also, don't necessarily always eat it with rice, try quinoa or barley - but make this part the side dish.

Also, try different veggies - asparagus, kale, broccoli rabe and even wakame (seaweed) focusing on anything green!! (but not peas!) and eat a variety - don't get stuck in a rut of eating the same thing every day.

Closed Thread