It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #1

22Girl HB User
3 months and 2 weeks on Spiro and 100% clear!!

I've had acne for over 10 years and after 3 months on spiro I am 100% clear. I have some old red marks and some permanent dents (which I'll learn to live with.. ) but no pimples! It is fantastic!! This last week (just to test the waters) I ate a whole block of chocolate, candy, chips and other junk. With spiro I don't even break out when I eat that kind of food anymore.. mind you, it didn't make me feel well, so I'll go back to my healthy diet.

Re: dosage. I took 100mg a day for the 1st month, 75mg the second month, 50mg the third month and in the past 2 weeks have just taken 25mg per day. I wish I'd been told about this 10 years ago!!! Acne wrecked the best years of my life.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

malia81 HB User
Re: 3 months and 2 weeks on Spiro and 100% clear!!

i may have asked you this already but how bad was your acne before? was it just breakouts around the time of your period?

also, did the doctor tell you to taper off the spiro? i stopped taking it because i was getting an irregular breathing rate on 100mg a day and i was afraid i'd lose my sexual drive or mess up my menstrual period.

do you have any problems with that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

thats great girl 22!you must have sensative sebasious glands to testosterone.this drug has been out over 25 years ago.it could have saved me many years of grief from cystic acne.thats pretty good you can control your skin on 25mgs.it been almost 22 months for me.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #4

helpwiththis HB User

what's spiro?

Old 07-24-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpwiththis
what's spiro?
Spironolactone (Aldactone), With problems related to excessive testosterone effect spiro can only help, it will not make them worse. As with any medication, it does not work as well for everybody. Usually however, it does help. It does work slowly so the problem, especially alopecia, may get worse before the medication starts to work.

Spiro can cause mild dehydration due to increased salt and water loss. This can almost always be prevented by drinking plenty of water. Some need to increase salt intake but this needs to be discussed with your doctor.
Spiro sometimes makes periods come closer together but this can be prevented by taking it with birth control pills - again, something to discuss with your doctor.

Spiro may work best when combined with other medications, especially when the testosterone level is high. Of course, as with any medication which blocks testosterone, it is essential not to be taking it if pregnant. Effective contraception is a must.

Just to repeat: spironlactone will not make acne, increased hair growth or alopecia worse!

Just some information that I got for Spiro ... hope this helps. I am not sure the dermatologist will give you spiro if you are a guy, its made for women. There is a post on this board that males have taken spiro but I heard that it kills sex drive and all that, something I do not want to give up

Old 07-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #6

tweedy HB User

Hi, I have been on spiro for just over 2 months and have not seen much improvement (I have had moderate cystic acne for over 4 years and nothing has worked except bc pills, which unfortunately has stopped working as well as it used to). Anyways, I was wondering, for those on spiro that have become clear, how long did it take to see results? Did it get worse before it got better? (Mine has). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.

Old 07-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

no it is not made for woman....it is used in prostate cancer in men.yes it does kill your sex drive.it really up to a guy if he feels he want his skin clear or sex.if it is givin to a younger male say under 20 it will prevent his body from maturing.for me this drug took about 2 weeks to stop my oily skin.it will get rid of body hair eventually or make it finer in both sexes.lets just say its not a first line treatment for acne in males.i would say its a last resorts treatment for males but it works great for me.i value a social life more than a sexual life.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #8

22Girl HB User

Tweedy - I still got breakouts in my first month, I remember one was really bad, but I stuck to it because although I kept having a few breakouts my skin was heaps less oily and so I thought it would only be a matter of time before I cleared up. Also, on the packet it says to wait 3 to 6 months before seeing results. What I did to speed the process up is cut out all refined sugar and anything that made me break out such as oily foods etc. I ate heaps of tuna and salmon (works great to heal old marks). I'd also recommend maybe going on antibiotics or retin-A or something at the same time as spiro to maximise re****s.. but speak to your doctor about that. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #9

22Girl HB User

Oh - and for the record - in the past 4 days I've eaten more sugar and junk (as an experiment) than I would in a normal year (I'd previously restricted myself to only eating junk on my birthday, christmas etc). I woke up this morning with the tiniest pimple ever. that's it. Spiro is great!!

Old 07-24-2004, 10:08 PM   #10

tweedy HB User

Thanks 22Girl for the info. Glad it worked well for you...time will tell for me...I am still very hopeful.

Old 07-25-2004, 10:38 AM   #11
(female)

member86 HB User
Talking Re: 3 months and 2 weeks on Spiro and 100% clear!!

I've been on spiro, 100mg a day, for 4 months and it just keeps getting better and better!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
(female)

sassy06 HB User

I was just prescribed 50mg of Aldactone for my oily skin.My dermatologist gave me a paper with information but I went online to research it more before I consider taking it.I don't breakout that much I would say I only get about 2 or 3 pimples at a time. One of the things that I am concerned of is the loss of sex drive,I am in a relationship of 5 years and I'm scared I am going to lose my sex drive when im with my boyfriend. Have any of you experienced loss of sex drive since you started? and Do you think since I have a low dosage that it won't be a problem?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

I think that 50mgs is a small dose for that problem. I am surprised that you wee given Spiro for 2 or 3 pimples. Do you have other symptons? Usually antibiotics are tried and Spiro is really for pcos problem acne.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
(female)

sassy06 HB User

I am taking Solodyn and it does clear my skin up.The only problem with my skin is that I have really oily skin. He said I could either go on BC,I forgot what else,or Spiro.He thinks that the only reason I do get pimples is because of my oily skin. I haven't taken them because I am worried about the side effects and what will happen if I stop taking them because I will be moving to LA in a couple months and won't be going to him anymore.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

I really feel that your dose is low and will not cause side effects to the point that you say and LA has great dermos that give this all the time. It has been around for 20 something years. I say take it and I LOVE IT.Read the rave reviews from people. Good luck

Closed Thread