It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 06:12 PM   #1

tuberville HB User
Advice on Differin

So I guess what I have is mild acne. No major breakouts, occasional pimple here and there, some of which could be worse than others. I used SA and BP, for the most part haphazardly. I do get a lot of those bumps on my forehead, however, some of which grow considerably in size but for the most part stay there. I used to pick religiously and used to be able to get away with it. Lately, however, I noticed that my face began to scar - nothing hugely noticeable but still frustrating. The result is that I stopped picking, while at the same time, due to lots of stress, I began to break out more than usual. I went to a physician who looked at my face for 1 minute and, having said that my acne is very mild, prescribed me Differin (1x) (for which, having no insurance, I paid God knows how much having no money as a student) and Clindomycin (2x daily). I was wondering if, given my otherwise mild condition, I am still going to get a breakout, how bad it will be, and whether Differin is likely to help in the long run, given the form of my acne. I would not care so much about it, but I am visiting my girlfriend in two weeks (whom I love immensely), have a bunch of exams in a week, and all this just adds too much anguish.
Perhaps I should stick with SA and BP... I would do that because prevention by picking and squeezing continued to work, but now I am afraid I will only scar myself.
Thanks to anybody who can comment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #2

tuberville HB User
Re: Advice on Differin

Anybody? Please, any help appreciated.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

i would not suggest picking and squeezing...you'll just get more scars. If your acne is mild, then BP and SA seem like great options. Especially since money is an issue and refilling perscription meds can be expensive without insurance. I would suggest getting on a certain routine and sticking with it. Maybe use a cleanser with SA morning and night, and then put BP or something with SA (like neutrogena clear pore) on your entire face at night. Differin is not something you can just use on occasion for spot treatment, so unless you plan on using it religiously, I wouldn't even start it (plus, I've heard there's an intial breakout phase). hope this helps

Old 08-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

I've used Differin for years now. As long as I don't skip a night or two, I do not get zits. Ever. My acne is moderate. The only thing Differin doesn't help with for me are blackheads, and I still have some bumps on my forehead. It did take at least 12 weeks before I noticed any difference.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Also while it is expensive, a tube really does last a long long time. Just use an amount the size of a pea.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #6

shutterlag HB User

yeah differin causes an initial breakout... since it "purges" your pores. it takes 6-8 weeks to work. i had mild acne similar to yours and used it once in march.. i went outside for 10 minutes and had a really bad sunburn on my face for two weeks. i found it to be really harsh/irritating, and i never used it again. if you're going to use it only use a tinyyyy bit and WEAR SUNSCREEN!

Old 08-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Also the cream is gentler than the gel I have really sensitive skin but the cream works great for me.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #8

tuberville HB User

Thanks a great deal to everybody who responded. I have been using gel for three consecutive days now and have stuff popping up, although those may have been coming anyway. So far, my skin has not been irritated or dried at all - on the contrary, it is somewhat oily. Is it okay to use a bit of BP for spot treatment?

Old 08-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #9

midimaster2099 HB User

If I were use I would use BP in the morning and the differin at night. Using them at the same time will really dry out your skin. If you have a spot you really want to put some BP on, wait at least an hour or 2. Thats what I do. Don't be discouraged by the initial breakout from the differin, mine got worse for about a month and a half or so (I know its a long time) and then gradually got better from then on. I am on my 4th month now and my skin is looking better than it was pre-differin...its still not great though. Don't expect any miracles from differin if you have moderately bad acne.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:33 PM   #10

tuberville HB User

Anybody else?

Closed Thread