It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #1

Melissa1 HB User
Question Does Spiro. cause depression?

I've been on Spiro. for 11 days. I have felt depressed after I have taken the medicine a few times. I also feel it may increase my appetite. Will these feelings pass? Is it my body getting used to the medication? Any feedback would be appreciated. Help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
When I first started taking Spiro I thought it might have made me more succeptable to depression in stressful situations.Since then it seems being on it when I'm not stressed out about something I have noticed no depression at all.So , maybe it only intensifys an already depressed state.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Have you noticed less oiliness yet from taking Spiro? I've been on it 6 days now and haven't noticed any decrease yet.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #4

Melissa1 HB User
dsheldon3--I believe I have noticed a slight decrease in oil production. I had an initial breakout that was pretty bad, it seems to be in the healing stages though. I have red marks all over my cheeks. I hope this stuff will work. Any increase in appetite?

Old 03-08-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
No, I haven't noticed an increase in appetite.

Old 04-07-2003, 02:52 AM   #6

kristinabutterfly HB User
i just wanted to bump this because i really truly believe the spiro is causing me to get more depressed also. i have been on it almost 3 months now. when i take the pill, i get seriously depressed, so im wondering if maybe the hormonal upsets that come with the pill and spiro might just affect me badly.
has anyone else noticed depression on spiro?

Old 04-07-2003, 05:38 AM   #7
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
I looked up some info about this subject. This is the only case where I found any mention of depression. Also, keep in mind that spiro is a diuretic, which means that if you are not drinking enough water while taking it, you could simply be dehydrated and feeling weak or tired because of that, which might look like depression, but isn't. See below under "comments".

Spironolactone
Brand Name Manufacturers
Aldactone by Searle
Spironolacton by ? in Bulgaria
Uractone by ? in Italy
Verospiron by ? in Hungary

Generic Manufacturers

Caremark
Cheshire
Geneva
Goldline
Heartland
Major
Moore, H.L.
Mutual
Mylan
Parmed
PD-RX
Purepac
Qualitest
Raway
Rugby
UDL
URL
Vanguard

Pharmacology
Mostly inhibits production of testosterone at the stage of 17-hydroxylation, and competes with DHT (dihydrotestosterone) for bonding at peripheral receptors. It is also said to intensify catabolism of androgens, and activate conversion of testosterone into estrogens.

Delivery
25, 50, 100mg oral tablets

Typical dosage
Pre-op 100-400mg/day
Post-op 50mg/day

Availability
Approved by U.S. FDA

Indications
Congestive heart failure. Elevated blood pressure. Fluid retention. Hyperaldasteronism. Inadequate pottasium retention. Liver cirrhosis.

Contraindications
Elevated potassium levels. Inadequate urine production. Kidney disfunction.

Adverse reactions
CNS

Confusion. Dizziness. Drowsiness. Headache. Lethargy. Loss of precise motor control.

Gastrointestinal

Cramping. Diarrhea. Dry mouth. Gastric ulceration and other stomach inflammation. Vomiting.

Skin

Acne. Itchy, fluid-filled patches of skin. Increase of body and facial hair. Red skin patches from capillary congestion.

Other

Deepening of the voice. Drug fever. Pottasium retention. Severe decrease of blood granulocytes. Sodium loss.

Comments
One person reported suicidal depression as an adverse effect. The brand-name formulation tastes awful; the generic formulation is much less offensive.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Quote:
Acne. Itchy, fluid-filled patches of skin. Increase of body and facial hair. Red skin patches from capillary congestion.[/B]

I just got an itchy filled patch on my face yesterday!I hope it is just coincidental.YIKES!Red patches?

Closed Thread