It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 PM   #1

bootoacne HB User
going off doxycycline?

I have mild-moderate acne and i've been taking doxy for about 2 months now (2 a day). My dermatologist says she wants me to lower it to one a day so that i can eventually go off it for good. Has anyone experienced breakouts as a result of something like this? I'm so terrified to go off it and start breaking out just when i was beginning to really feel better about my face.

Last edited by bootoacne; 08-27-2004 at 11:10 PM.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Inactive

Aries872 HB User
Re: going off doxycycline?

I was on it for a few months about 2 yrs ago. I had no problems coming off of it. No rebound breakouts. But, everyone is different.

Aries872

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootoacne
I have mild-moderate acne and i've been taking doxy for about 2 months now (2 a day). My dermatologist says she wants me to lower it to one a day so that i can eventually go off it for good. Has anyone experienced breakouts as a result of something like this? I'm so terrified to go off it and start breaking out just when i was beginning to really feel better about my face.
Hey Bootoacne, I'm finishing up my doxy prescription (2 months) I've cleared up about 90%. I take my last pill in 2 days and I hear people describing the terrible after math of doxy withdrawal. Have you stopped using doxy? If so, how is your skin?

Old 10-12-2004, 06:03 PM   #4

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

ummm im on it right now.....just a question...how much was your guys pills...mine were 50 dollars!!!!! with in surance

Old 10-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #5

AchilesHeel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEACNE1111
ummm im on it right now.....just a question...how much was your guys pills...mine were 50 dollars!!!!! with in surance
mine are 25.00

Old 10-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

DiselPower4 HB User

Mined were 20.00 with ins. the ADOXA ones.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

tiggerbuddy HB User

Hi guys
I've been using Doxy (100 mg twice daily) since the end of July and my bottle of pills has 5 more refills on it. Do you think I should stop taking it?? My doc didn't mention when/if I should stop taking it.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 AM   #8
Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEACNE1111
My doc gave me 2 months for free. I have laughable acne, a pimple here a pimple there but it was starting to become sore so that's why he put me on it. I don't believe I'm acne-prone, because I didn't have it as a teen I'm 25 and my mom didn't have it, but my brother did when he was like 15-19. I hope I'm not going to have another 3 years to go before I out live this disease.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:57 AM   #9
Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy420
Hi guys
I've been using Doxy (100 mg twice daily) since the end of July and my bottle of pills has 5 more refills on it. Do you think I should stop taking it?? My doc didn't mention when/if I should stop taking it.
I would never consider taking a med for that long. Anti kill bad/good bacteria so definitely take probiotic along with it (acidophilus is great you can get some in a vitamin shop) but your killing your stomach with that stuff, it sounds like your doc intends to keep you on it because he/she isn't confident that the regular dosage, which shouldn't be more than 6 months, won't entirely kill your infection. I believe antibiotics should help stop the bacteria from growing and then topicals and a good skin care regime should take care of the rest. I'm sorry but that's way too long to be on any med unless you have a chronical illness. Speak to another derm and see what they have to say. Also keep in mind your body will become resistant to antibiotics, that why some people stop and then resume sometime down the line.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #10
(female)

MoonOverMarin HB User
Exclamation Re: going off doxycycline?

$50? Try $10 per PILL! Not having insurance SUCKS.

Can you buy prescription drugs from Canada over the net? $10 a pill is ridiculous.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:11 PM   #11

lulu'smom HB User

I have a little doxy story to tell, which may or maynot help someone here.

I never had a serious skin problem before but past yr it has definitely been degenerating. This Feb, when I went back home, my mom saw my skin and started bugging out..but really it wasn't that AWFUL, just getting a bit bad.

Anyway, so she made me go to her derm and I got on doxy. In jsut 3 or 4 days I had immaculate skin, really really immaculate. So after about 2 weeks, I thought it was time to ween off (ok it wasn't derm authorized). While weening off, I started getting bad itches all over my body. I just wouldn't stop itching!! I thought it was a bad allergic reaction and was also on some antibiotics coz I had the flu, and eventually within few more days, I stopped.

My skin got worse after that. So when I went back home again in July, I thought, hell, let's try it again. So I did. Exact same thing happened. Immaculate skin in 3-4 days. Except this time I got some rashes on my arms and I stopped within 7 days.

Then my skin got REALLLY bad. And now it's just atrocious. I'm finally seeing a derm of my own (instead of waiting to go home everytime) and am on Accutane. I'm not seeing any drastic results so far but it's a 4 mth course and I'm just finishing mth 1. I think the stem of the prob was probably that I stopped it by myself w/o a derm. regulating me and now I've made things worse. That's just my own theory though. 2 derms I've seen here tell me that the doxy has nothing to do with my atrocious skin (but I don't believe them!!).

Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #12
Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Well it seems like no one ever comes back and tell everyone how things are going; I've been of of Doxy for about 2 weeks or more. My skin isn't in the same condition it was when I was taking doxy on the reg, but I only get small zits that don't even leave scares. My skin feels oil, but not any more than it did before I started the doxy. I didn't get that horrible aftermath that a lot of ex-doxy people were talking about. But it's only been 2 weeks so knock on wood.

Closed Thread