It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #1

shisimagum HB User
Acne from shaving

does anyone get acne from shaving on their chin and cheeks?

Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
(male)

Zshock HB User
Re: Acne from shaving

Yes, once my face itched really bad, unnormally bad, so I shaved and when I got done I had a tone of acne on my cheeks. I'm not sure if it was acne, but they were big red bumps and they didn't go away for awhile.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

I used to but ever since I've changed my shaving habits I havenít got any. This is what I do. First off, I changed from a 3-blade razor to an electric razor (which is much more gentle and doesnít take off the top layer of skin like the razor does). Also, with the electric razor, I donít shave my hairs completely, only down to very small stubble. This is very important because the reason you get acne from shaving is that once you shave completely your pores that the hair was once at are now open, and the pimple forms from the open pores. If you only shave to a short stubble, the hair will still be there, this not causing any new acne. I know this isnít an option for everyone, but it works well for me. So with the electric razor I've eliminated both of my problems, irritation and acne after shaving.
"Zshock", it sounds like your simply getting razor bumps. You should try using on 1 or 2 blades, or try going to an electric razor.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #4

rocknroll1234 HB User

Well my problem is

-electric shavers can't cut a lot of the hairs on my neck and chin so I still have to whip out the blade.

-the razors with one or two blades won't cut the hairs with one or two strokes and I have to use multiple strokes which eventually irratates the skin.

-triple blade razors (currently using mach 3 power) need less strokes but maybe taking to much of a layer of skin off, which may be unfortunate.

About 65% of my acne is on my chin/jawline below my mouth (right side) where I tend to shave every 4 days. I am at the moment coming to the realization that Im am exfoliating the area by shaving and leaving the area open for bacteria etc for to long.. So right after I shave I have been using a refining mask for 10-15 mins to close the pores and make them smaller/tighter. This seems to be helping at the moment............

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 09-14-2004 at 06:28 PM.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"rocknroll1234", the reason you are getting acne after shaving is because the bacteria that forms acne was covered by the hair, and when you shave the hair away, the acne forms. I donít know it this is possible for you, but the best advice I can give someone about shaving is not to shave all your hair off, leave some stubble.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:33 AM   #6

rocknroll1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith007
"rocknroll1234", the reason you are getting acne after shaving is because the bacteria that forms acne was covered by the hair, and when you shave the hair away, the acne forms. I donít know it this is possible for you, but the best advice I can give someone about shaving is not to shave all your hair off, leave some stubble.
Thanks john. What you say makes sense. My problem is, is that im one of the people that grows facial hair really quickly. If I left stubble I would probably find myself shaving more times a week which could irritate my skin more, unless I decide to grow a beard.

I always wash in the shower with a anti-bacterial cleanser before shaving and to warm up the skin and loosen the hairs. After shaving I apply the anti-bac cleanser again for a little less time and then wash off and moisturize.

Last edited by rocknroll1234; 09-15-2004 at 04:35 AM.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
(male)

Zshock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith007
"Zshock", it sounds like your simply getting razor bumps. You should try using on 1 or 2 blades, or try going to an electric razor.
No that's not it. I always use an electric razor, and normally when I shave I don't get these red bumps. But for some reason before I got those bumps my face itched really really bad and I got my electric razor and shaved and after I got done I had all these red bumps. It wasn't acne an it wasn't razor burn...I'm not quite sure what it was.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

One big turning point in my acne life was deciding to shave once every second day, not every day. This meant that I was halving the amount of irritation caused by shaving. I found this noticeably halped.

AA
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 09-15-2004, 07:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Paula's Choice sells a product called Skin Relief Treatment which is made specifically for this problem. Works good too

Old 09-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

I use to get this too but completely solved the problem by shaving at night then applying a nice thick coat of 100% Aloe Vera gel to my face. I also shave with an aloe vera shaving foam. I am obsessed with the stuff. Check out my "The Wonders of Aloe Vera" thread.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"Accutane Dude", you have a good point. I use Cetaphil moisturizer every night before I go to bed, and on the days I shave I just leave on the moisturizer. It really seems to help to smoothly shave and not irritate my skin.
"Zshock", I have no idea what the red marks are then. Maybe you should ask your dermatologist about them.
"AccutaneAvenger", shaving every other day would still be really tough for me. I shave about every week to 2 weeks, depending on a few things, but more than one a week would be too much. My hair doesnít grow to fast though, so Iím lucky.
"rocknroll1234", its definitely good to apply the warm water before you shave to loosen the hairs.

Old 09-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
(male)

Zshock HB User

Nah I'm not going to ask my derm about the red marks, it only happened once and it hasn't happened since. I do think I might know what happened though. It got really itchy while I was sleeping so it might have been my skin reacting to something my pillow case was washed in, but I guess as long as it hasn't happened again I really got nothing to worry about. I talked to my mom after I shaved and not only did I have the red bumps, but she said my face looked swollen. I bet it was just the detergent or something.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Oh ok, I thought it happened every time you shaved. If it only happened once I wouldnít worry about it.

Closed Thread