It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #16
(female)

mz43026 HB User
Smile Re: I'm scared of losing my boyfriend....

I think you should stop worrying too much about what other ppl. thinks about you. That is too stressful ( constantly thinking).As long as your bf is fine with it. U should just enjoy spending u're time with him b/c acne is just temporary. I was the same way before, I was afraid to see my bf but I realized how much I missed out hiding from him. When we hang out we have so much fun and he makes me happy. I think you heal faster when your happy too. You shouldn't use too much chemicals either, it will damage your skin. I think my skin got worse from using harsh chemicals and I dont ever want to do that again. My sis is starting to break out a little now, but she just stopped wearing makeup and use spot treatment. I think makeup damages your skin and I wish I don't have to wear anymore of it either. But good luck w/ everything.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #17

IHATEACNE1111 HB User
Re: I'm scared of losing my boyfriend....

Hey take it from a guy...he has already noticed that you mask your acne, and the fact taht he changes the subject is because he doenst want you to feel bad. Defitly try to be cheerful like stated before, if he senses that you are depressed then he is going to think he did something, or is not doing something, and only trouble will come of that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 10:10 AM   #18

lifeonhold HB User

you sound exactly like me!
same deal with my boyfriend..we never talk about it and i always wear makeup. i also always wear my hair down...i try to believe that he doesnt know but im sure he does. i have scars too which are nasty! ive been with him for 1and a half years, and im afraid im going to lose him because i have been so depressed and miserable lately. i dont think he would leave you for what u look like , but try not to get all depressed like me. i can def. tell he is fed up with me never wanting to do anything and feeling crappy about myself.

Old 09-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #19

surenitynow HB User

thats like me too, you guys!
i know if he saw me completely without makeup on he would still like me (im sure with most people the acne itself wouldnt make your boyfriend not like you anymore) BUT its what the acne does!....i dont like to go out all the time when my face is bad...i sometimes avoid seeing him and going places with him...i also feel crappy about myself and sometimes dont even feel like talking to him because my acne puts me in a bad unfun mood....i would never go on a trip with him even though i would love to becasue i know eventually he would have to see me at my worst...and its stuff like that... THAt is what wrecks things for people... because im sure if a boyfriend wants to hang out and go places and when you dont all the time, he probably gets fed up... . i have to work on being more comfortable with my face around him ..we have to remember its very unlikely someone will stop liking another person because of what they look like with acne......its very difficult though.

Last edited by surenitynow; 09-24-2004 at 10:32 AM.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 PM   #20

chyna_dawl HB User

Hey everybody,

You know whats even worse?
The fact that my boyfriend has perfect, smooth skin!
I've never seen him with one pimple.

Hey surenitynow... I know how you feel about the trip thing. My boyfriend wants to take trips with me, but I have never agreed. I'm too scared as to what would happen between us. Maybe he wouldn't break up with me, but I would lose my self-confidence around him I think. He would know how bad my acne really is.

So far, my skin is stil moderately bad. I have a dermatologist appointment in a month, so I hope things get better. My boyfriends has been pretty supportive so far, but I don't think he likes me talking about my flaws. He kind of brushes it off.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #21
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!! I have been with my fiance for 6 years and he's NEVER seen me without makeup on. I used to have really bad acne on my cheeks and since I've been on vitamins, doxy, and benzaclin, it has been much better, but I still have alot of EMBARRASSING scarring. I've become quite the artist with my makeup over the years! I will not, under no circumstances, let him or anyone else touch my face. When we go swimming or to the beach, I wear makeup. I won't stick my head underwater because I know my makeup will come slithering off. It really is a pain in the a$$ to have to wear makeup all the friggin time! We don't live together, but when I sleep over his house, I wear my makeup to bed which I know is the worst thing that I can ever do, but I'm just SOOOOO f'ing embarrassed! I have VERY oily skin and it grosses me out every morning to wake up with makeup that I've had on all night! He just proposed to me last Friday and now I'm absolutely MORTIFIED at the thought of him seeing me without my "face" on when we live together. I also take Ortho-Tricyclen Lo, but that useless. I would really like to get my hormones checked to see if this is crap is hormonal and move from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyna_dawl
Hey everybody,

You know whats even worse?
The fact that my boyfriend has perfect, smooth skin!
I've never seen him with one pimple.

Hey surenitynow... I know how you feel about the trip thing. My boyfriend wants to take trips with me, but I have never agreed. I'm too scared as to what would happen between us. Maybe he wouldn't break up with me, but I would lose my self-confidence around him I think. He would know how bad my acne really is.

So far, my skin is stil moderately bad. I have a dermatologist appointment in a month, so I hope things get better. My boyfriends has been pretty supportive so far, but I don't think he likes me talking about my flaws. He kind of brushes it off.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 PM   #22
(male)

Zshock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimRick
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!! I have been with my fiance for 6 years and he's NEVER seen me without makeup on. I used to have really bad acne on my cheeks and since I've been on vitamins, doxy, and benzaclin, it has been much better, but I still have alot of EMBARRASSING scarring. I've become quite the artist with my makeup over the years! I will not, under no circumstances, let him or anyone else touch my face. When we go swimming or to the beach, I wear makeup. I won't stick my head underwater because I know my makeup will come slithering off. It really is a pain in the a$$ to have to wear makeup all the friggin time! We don't live together, but when I sleep over his house, I wear my makeup to bed which I know is the worst thing that I can ever do, but I'm just SOOOOO f'ing embarrassed! I have VERY oily skin and it grosses me out every morning to wake up with makeup that I've had on all night! He just proposed to me last Friday and now I'm absolutely MORTIFIED at the thought of him seeing me without my "face" on when we live together. I also take Ortho-Tricyclen Lo, but that useless. I would really like to get my hormones checked to see if this is crap is hormonal and move from there.
I don't think he proposed to you just because of how your face looks. Your face may seem worse to you than it does to others, I know for a fact that "you are your toughest critic". I find that sometimes I freak out about my looks more than anyone around me. Your loved ones love you for who you are, not how your face looks.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:25 AM   #23
Inactive

KimRick HB User

I know that, it's just my own insecurities about myself. It is really embarassing though, to be an adult with acne so bad that you can't leave the house without your makeup on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zshock
I don't think he proposed to you just because of how your face looks. Your face may seem worse to you than it does to others, I know for a fact that "you are your toughest critic". I find that sometimes I freak out about my looks more than anyone around me. Your loved ones love you for who you are, not how your face looks.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:23 AM   #24

lifeonhold HB User

tell me about it...i always think how normal and happy i would be if i wasnt't cursed with acne. i refuse to wear my hair up even in hot weather or to bed if my man's over..and i also have to go to bed with makeup on when ihe is there.i am considering breaking up with him over it. i hate going out in public for the most part and i refuse to talk to anyone about it..i like to pretend that people dont really notice how bad it is. it is so embarassing...especially as an adult!

Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #25

SaraE10 HB User

To those of you who don't let your boyfriends see you without your makeup: I guarantee you that your boyfriends are aware of the fact that you have acne and wear makeup- even to bed. Even if they don't talk about it directly, they are aware of it. And of your insecurities. I have learned my lesson in regards to this!! I thought it was the worst moment of my life when my boyfriend first acknowledged my acne. I was so mortified, and I've never wanted to put a bag over my head more than I did at that moment. But over time, the fact that he is aware of my acne has helped me dramatically in keeping it under control. He is supportive of me, tries to find new ideas to help me (he is a doctor), and NEVER makes me feel like I am any less beautiful. When my skin starts to clear up, he will look at me and say "Wow, your skin looks so great!" with a big smile on his face. I think it was the best thing that ever happened in our relationship- the fact that he and I both acknowledge it. My advice to you is to bring it up to them. Stop dodging it, stop hiding it. You're not really hiding anything, even if you think you are. You're really just avoiding the subject. Where will that get you? If the men in your lives are for real, then they don't want you worrying, stressing, and hiding. They will want to help you. And they WILL help you! I guarantee, this will make you feel better. So stop sleeping with your makeup on, stop avoiding going under water at the beach... what kind of life is that? How long are you going to keep it up? You only have one life. Don't let acne control it.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #26
(female)

mandersBC HB User

I must say, I couldn't agree more with the previous post. Don't miss out on amazing trips with your significant other because you are afraid of him seeing you without your makeup. That is no way to live. What happens when someday you are married and your husband realizes...my wife doesn't want to leave the house or go anywhere...we have never showered together...she doesn't wear her hair up so I can see her pretty face...? Don't let your acne control you, have fun, enjoy life. I do wear my makeup every day - and when I go to bed (with my boyfriend, who I live with) I take it off. I am sure he notices that my face looks different, but it does not affect how much he cares for me.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #27
(female)

whitehorse HB User

This is the worst part of the whole acne thing for me. My husband finally said something about it, I started crying and crying and crying, and several hours later (when I unlocked the door and came out of the bedroom) he hugged me and let me cry on his shoulder.
It actually feels good (in a heartbreaking sort of way) to have faced this fear and found that my husband can be of some comfort to me.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:40 AM   #28
(female)

whitehorse HB User

And now, a day later, I feel pretty ridiculous about the whole thing. Suddenly my skin looks not so bad and I feel really beautiful again. Hiding from someone you love is just plain silly. Not that I'm going to stop wearing makeup any time soon - that would be crazy!

Old 10-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #29

surenitynow HB User

wow , i actually wish someone would bring it up to me like that...i have a veerrry hard time even bringing it up with my family (i never really have)...it would kind of be a relief if someone did.... but you seem to have a pretty good attitude about it and thats cool.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #30

Haleigh HB User

I'm actually putting off moving in with my boyfriend who i love very much just because I keep hoping/wishing that the minocycline will work its magic(?) and I will feel pretty again. Like everyone one else on this site, I've tried everything. I have related so much to this post. I also hate the whole trip thing with the boyfriend. We had to go camping a while ago and it stressed me out so bad. All the other girls around wore no makeup and were carefree, but not me with my frequent bathroom trips to make sure everything was "in place". Swimming, not underwater of course. And when I stay over nite at his house it is the constant fight in my head about leaving the make up on to look a little better or taking it off, to at least prevent the breakouts that I know will come later in the week if I dont. And you want to lay around in the bed in the morning with him and relax, but if you dont have makeup on (even if it is old and nasty) you cant because you are so insecure about your face. When I am not broken out, it is the reddness and scarring that bothers me. Wouldnt a shower be nice with him, but oh wait, makeup would run right off your face. And dont you feel like you are the only one that this is a problem for? I am constantly scanning coworkers and friends faces for signs that they have the same problem as me. But they all seem fine (at least in the skin department). Everytime I look in the mirror, I think, "I could look so nice, if all these marks were gone. Just make them go away and I would never take it for granted..."
There are so many other things that could be wrong. And really this seems so trivial in the GRAND scheme of things I guess. Really we shouldnt let it mess up what good relationships we have. I dont know what I will do with my boyfriend when I do have to move in there. I know he loves me but i also know that he loves beautiful women. And I want to be his favorite one.
H

Last edited by Haleigh; 10-10-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Closed Thread