It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #1

NYC FlNEST HB User
My skin is starting to clear up.

Hey,

I been checking this board out getting many advices. I've been getting acne for 5 years now severely on and off. Now I am 21 I finally got combination of vitamins that work.

I wanted to share this with you guys cause I know how hard and unfair life can be with acne.

All the products Im using are from company called "SOLGAR" which was recommanded from my mother's friend who is a dermatoligist.

Once a day:
Lipoic Acid 200 mg, Vitamin E 400 IU, Advanced muti-billion Dophilus, Zinc 50mg, Vitamin C 1000mg, and Odor free Garlic. 1650mg (this is pill form)

Twice a day: Vitamin A 5000iu

Also I wash my face Neotrogena Acne Wash and before going to sleep I put 100% Aloe Vera Gel on my face. Everyone with acne scars should use this it works like charm.. I can see rapid improvement on my skin. Also I believe my pillow was causing of some of my acne so I put fresh new towel around the pillow every 2-3 days.

Results after taking the pills and Aloe treatment has been by far the greatest improvement. My face isn't as oily any more and I haven't been getting any new pimples.

I hope this will help other as it help me. So good luck..

Old 09-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #2

surenitynow HB User
Re: My skin is starting to clear up.

how many pills is that all togeather? and how expensive is it to get those things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Glad to hear your doing well. I'm actually going to start using Aloe Vera Gel because everyone says how great it is. My only question about it is, is it purely a moisturizer, or does it dry your skin out a little?

Old 09-18-2004, 04:11 AM   #4
Veteran

Neca HB User

NYC Finest that is great your acne is starting to clear up. I certainly can vouch for the fact that Solgar is a great brand for vitamin supplements. It seems like you are very lucky because you are getting results on reasonably low dosages apart from the Vitamin C. VC's RDA is around 100mg but your taking 1000mg so I wonder if this is what is truly helping to clear your skin. VC isn't usually considered an acne fighter I don't think.

But I definitely think Vitamin usage can get rid of acne completely, the only problem is finding the right combination fot vitamins in the right amounts. We are all different so this can be difficult.

What I don't get is why aren't people who are taking Accutane asked to supplement their diet with vitamins notably Copper and Zinc. Accutane is just a high dosage of synthesised pre-formed Vitamin A in the form of Retinol. So in theory they should be definitely taking Zinc supplements to enhance the amount of Accutane (Vitamin A) absorbed.

The weird thing is that Accutane users don't take these extra vitamins AND still get clear skin so maybe it isn't necessary to supplement the diet with any further vitamins whilst on vitamin A.....geeee I dunno....this all doesn't make sense.

Anyway thanks for posting your vitamin combination and I hope you continue to get results

Old 09-18-2004, 10:37 AM   #5

NYC FlNEST HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surenitynow
how many pills is that all togeather? and how expensive is it to get those things.
I didn't buy the product so I am not sure of the exact price but believe it was around $75- 100. I am currently taking 7 pills a day. At first it seem like a insane amount of pills but I got used to it.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:39 AM   #6

NYC FlNEST HB User

For those of you currently taking vitamin A. How much dosage are you suppose to take? I am currently taking 2x5,000iu.

thanks

Old 09-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran

Neca HB User

After reading up loads about treating acne with Vitamin A, it seems the best dosage is 100,000 IU but of course with that comes the chance of experiencing the side-effects. However, a lot of sites and journals I have read advise to supplement with 50,000 IU to be on the safe side and to do this for between 2-3 months. After which they say the dose should be reduced to 25,000 IU.

Currently I am supplementing with 50,000 without any side-effects (and it seems like it is beginning to take effect). I;m thinking of getting my blood and liver function checked each month to be on the safe side.

Old 09-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #8

3rd Course HB User

Hi guys. Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin.

Fat-soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K. Excesses of fat-soluble vitamins are not excreted but are deposited in body fat, so overdoses may result in an accumulation of these compounds to toxic levels.

Possible symptoms of extreme excess of Vitamin A are:
Headaches, irritability, vomiting, hair loss, blurred vision, liver and bone
damage.

Water-soluble vitamins include the B-complex, which consists of several compounds that generally function as coenzymes in key metabolic processes. Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is also water-soluble. Ascorbic acid is required for the production of connective tissue. Excesses of water-soluble vitamins are excreted in urine, and moderate overdoses of these vitamins are probably harmless.

So in other words, I suggest that you guys take great caution with your vitamin supplements. I don't think anyone of you really want to risk hair loss for your acne cure.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #9
(male)

linkton HB User

Hmm, if you lost your hair, you could face the ground and draw eyes on your scalp. Naa, seriously, losing hair is not good. My auntie had cancer, such a demoralising thing.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #10

boulder21 HB User

It may be a better idea to take Beta Carotene instead of vitamin A. Beta Cartene is stored in your body and converted to Vitamin A as your body needs it so there is generally no risk of vitamin A toxicity. Beta cartene does come with risks but really only with long long term use (many years).

As far as vitamin C is concerned, it is an anit-oxidant (along with vitamin E). Anti-oxidants neutralize free radicals which will most likely have a positve effect on your acne. Green tea is a more powerful anti-oxidant than vitamin C so it wouldn't hurt to start drinking it in addition to vitamin C and everything else you're doing.

Old 09-19-2004, 04:27 AM   #11
Veteran

Neca HB User

Nah Beta-Carotene is unfortunately useless at fighting acne because it won't convert enough cartenoids into Vitamin A, as you said boulder, it will only convert the amount the body needs which would be around 5,000-8,000 IU. To have any chance of clear your acne, you need to take at least 50,000 IU. I drink copious amounts of Green Tea and have done so for over 2 years now but have never seen a positive effect on my acne. I would however say it is extremely beneficial for your overall health and much much better than normal tea or coffee of course. Another problem with Beta-Carotene is that over-dosing on it will turn your skin orange which doesn't look so great lol.

"3rd Course" if you are advising people who take vitamin supplements to be cautious (which is definitely a good idea) then you should also tell Accutane users the same thing. They are overdosing on a HUGE amount of vitamin A. 40 mg of Accutane (the average amount used) is equivalent to around 135,000 IU which is A LOT! I am not even taking anywhere near that amount.

Another thing, you would be surprised by how well the body can substain over-dosing for short periods of time. The chances of experiencing permanent side-effects if you overdose on Vitamin A (an amount greater than 25,000 IU) for a period of max. 3 months is probably around 3-5% so very slim chance!

It could also resist damage at these type of doses for 6 months but everybody is different and you just have to find your own 'safe' level. Overdosing is used successfully in a lot of various treatments without problems, you just have to be cautious and go for your monthly blood/liver check-ups.

I would recommend ALL acne sufferers to at least supplement their diets with ALL the vitamins already mentioned in previous posts following the "Upper Level" amounts and not the RDA. If they have tried every alternative treatment to trying to curb their acne then I would definitely ask them to consider the Vitamin A approach at higher levels around 50,000 IU.

Closed Thread