It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Exclamation Food & acne (why dermatologists don't tell the truth)

There has been a lot of posts lately regarding food and acne. And the majority of the people here DO believe that there is some connection between food and acne. However, there are a few people here who still want to believe the dermatologist's word that food does not cause acne. This is my thought..

The medical industry is a business. We are not a dermatologist's patients. We are the derm's consumers. They make money by seeing patients and prescribing medications. If derm's were to tell their acne patients to avoid all the foods that we discuss here on this forum, they would lose potential consumers. Some people's acne would improve because of their new diet while others would remain the same. Those whose acne has improved may improve to the point that they no longer see a dermatolgist anymore which = LOST $ for the derm. So why would they tell us? The majority of people believe anything a doctor would say because they are simply a doctor. By not telling us the real connection between food & acne, we continue to eat all this crap, believing there is no effect when there is. And this is how they keep their consumers.

Why do you think there is no cure for acne? Because they just haven't come up with it. Hm..possible, but my guess is because they don't want to. Acne is purely cosmetic; it's not life-threatening. And besides, acne products are a huge market for $. If there was a cure, what do you think would happen to that market?

Now some of you may disagree with me. That's perfectly fine, but this post is merely an attempt to open the eyes of those people who want to believe dermatologists.... the same dermatologists who have yet to really help a lot us.

P.S. - Also, to those who say, food doesn't cause acne because "my friend eats nothing but crap and has perfect skin". The reason for that is because he is not PRONE to get acne. Think of this example. Two people (1 with light skin and 1 with dark skin) sit out in the sun for a while. Which one will most likely burn first? It's the same principle. People who are PRONE to get acne, or to burn, or to gain weight (slow metabolism), or to have heart problems (family history) will react differently to those who aren't prone. It's common sense, and I still can't believe people can't see this fact.

Last edited by Andrew29; 09-22-2004 at 09:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

jazmella HB User
Re: Food & acne (why dermatologists don't tell the truth)

I agree with you 100%. Mostly everything nowadays is a business. Look at the drug companies...They WANT you to be sick so you'll continue buying their drugs. Just like the derms WANT people to have skin disorders so you'll continue paying for their food. It's sad but so very true.

Old 09-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
(male)

acneruinsesteem HB User

You are so correct! I could not agree with you any more! We are the dermatologists sustomers. The more we visit them, and the more they prescribe, the more money they make. Sometimes they give us too much. We of course go along with everything, because they are a doctor after all. I wish they would just realize that money isnt worth everything, and help us to the best of their ability.....

How is your acne doing? Mine is horrible and I have been seeing the derm. for a while. What is your regimen, how well does it work, and how severe is or was your acne. Thanks so much!

Take care

Old 09-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #4

AchilesHeel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
There has been a lot of posts lately regarding food and acne. And the majority of the people here DO believe that there is some connection between food and acne. However, there are a few people here who still want to believe the dermatologist's word that food does not cause acne. This is my thought..

The medical industry is a business. We are not a dermatologist's patients. We are the derm's consumers. They make money by seeing patients and prescribing medications. If derm's were to tell their acne patients to avoid all the foods that we discuss here on this forum, they would lose potential consumers. Some people's acne would improve because of their new diet while others would remain the same. Those whose acne has improved may improve to the point that they no longer see a dermatolgist anymore which = LOST $ for the derm. So why would they tell us? The majority of people believe anything a doctor would say because they are simply a doctor. By not telling us the real connection between food & acne, we continue to eat all this crap, believing there is no effect when there is. And this is how they keep their consumers.

Why do you think there is no cure for acne? Because they just haven't come up with it. Hm..possible, but my guess is because they don't want to. Acne is purely cosmetic; it's not life-threatening. And besides, acne products are a huge market for $. If there was a cure, what do you think would happen to that market?

Now some of you may disagree with me. That's perfectly fine, but this post is merely an attempt to open the eyes of those people who want to believe dermatologists.... the same dermatologists who have yet to really help a lot us.

P.S. - Also, to those who say, food doesn't cause acne because "my friend eats nothing but crap and has perfect skin". The reason for that is because he is not PRONE to get acne. Think of this example. Two people (1 with light skin and 1 with dark skin) sit out in the sun for a while. Which one will most likely burn first? It's the same principle. People who are PRONE to get acne, or to burn, or to gain weight (slow metabolism), or to have heart problems (family history) will react differently to those who aren't prone. It's common sense, and I still can't believe people can't see this fact.

Thats a very cynical way to look at it

Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
(male)

ThePhilosopher HB User

I have been thinking this same thing after reading what many people have to say on the diet subject. How could what you consume on a daily basis not affect your acne? Those who choose to maintain an ignorant stance and say "Well, I know so and so who eats garbage everyday and has beauitful skin" will probably never permanently beat or at least suppress their acne until it goes away on its own. Not everyone is predisposed for acne and therefore will get acne it they eat bad. There are plenty of skinny people out there who don't exercise and consume junk food everyday yet they don't gain a single pound. Could we then legitimately say that junk food doesn't cause obesity? Of course not. Everyones body is different and therefore reacts differently to the food we consume. This isn't to say diet is the sole cause of acne, but I believe it to be the leading cause of it. Hormones, stress, and genetics all play key roles, but ultimately, I believe our diets open us up so that these other factors can get to us. There was a study done with Indigenous tribes in South America and Asia (think). Not a single case of acne was found in two years of research on these races that only ate fruits vegetables and meats (fish for the most part). You can choose to believe it coincidence but then you would really be fooling yourself. It is hard to face reality but I think people have to realize acne is just one huge cash cow. How else to explain my dermatologists insistance of me using Retin-A after telling him I had already had two stints on it with no success whatsoever. "Trust me" he repeated several times with a big smile, almost a smirk I would say, that I'm sure he kept up all the way to the bank.

Old 09-23-2004, 02:41 AM   #6
(female)

NinjaCowboy HB User

First, I totally agree with you theat they're all about the $$$.

But, I know that certain foods trigger acne in certain people. I believe the reason that they tell you it isn't related to food is because they don't know what to tell you. Everyone is different, and certain foods may trigger acne in one acne-prone person, but not in another. So it's not like there's a comprehensive 'bad foods' list they can give you or anything.
But I am sorta surprised that they don't recommend keeping a food journal or something. It might help if you could see what you ate just before a flare-up and keep track of it so you could see if it was consistently any particular thing(s) that might be triggers for you.
So that takes us back to the $ issue.
So basically I think that yes, they just want your $, but there aren't any particular foods that are more likely to trigger acne in most people or anything. Since it is so individual, you just need to keep records of what you eat and look for any patterns.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:05 AM   #7
(male)

sadman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchilesHeel
Thats a very cynical way to look at it
The Oakland Tribune on June 17, 2001 published "Viewpoint" by an East Bay physician, Kate Scannell, who wrote, "Last year, prescription drug sales in our nation grew by 14.9 percent to $145 billion...Brand name pharmaceutical companies spent over $2.1 billion in direct-to-consumer advertising, a fraction of the billions spent on promotion...And while drug prices soar, the pharmaceutical industry has become the most profitable Fortune 500 industry."

They did this at the expense of 19.8 million Americans who "were exposed to five new drugs that the [FDA] rapidly removed from the market between 1997 and 1998 after serious, unexpected side effects were discovered with each of them.

"You must ask how so many people could have been exposed to so few drugs during such short shelf lives.

"The answers are: media hype, aggressive direct-to-consumer advertising of pharmaceutical drugs..., consumer demand, and the commercialization of medicine."

I don't think it's so cynical.

Last edited by sadman; 09-23-2004 at 04:07 AM.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:08 AM   #8
(female)

alltaken HB User

In my opinion....
some people have it, some people don't, and it doesn't matter the food you eat, if you were meant to get acne - you're going to have it...period. It's all genetic. But at the same time, like alot of you are saying, we are all different and maybe certain types of food does trigger an outbreak for someone, but I think for the most part you get acne because you were destined to have it. Just like a person who has a weight problem, genetically you have no choice. Your body structure is already pre-determined, by who you are born to and your who your ancestors are. You either lump it and like it or you try to find a solution for it. Like me, I've been dealing with acne for a long time, I'm 30. I just went recently to a Derm. in June of this year and at this point my acne has cleared up tremendously because of what prescrips. I'm taking. I can eat the same things or I can eat whatever the heck I want, it doesn't matter now and it didn't matter then. I have the acne problem period, and I don't blame food for it, genetically that's my flaw. So in my opinion, don't look for a reason to place blame as to why you keep breaking out with such awful acne, just accept that you have it and go for treatment. It worked for me, and food had nothing to do with it.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran

turbonamja HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltaken
In my opinion....
some people have it, some people don't, and it doesn't matter the food you eat, if you were meant to get acne - you're going to have it...period. It's all genetic. But at the same time, like alot of you are saying, we are all different and maybe certain types of food does trigger an outbreak for someone, but I think for the most part you get acne because you were destined to have it. Just like a person who has a weight problem, genetically you have no choice. Your body structure is already pre-determined, by who you are born to and your who your ancestors are. You either lump it and like it or you try to find a solution for it. Like me, I've been dealing with acne for a long time, I'm 30. I just went recently to a Derm. in June of this year and at this point my acne has cleared up tremendously because of what prescrips. I'm taking. I can eat the same things or I can eat whatever the heck I want, it doesn't matter now and it didn't matter then. I have the acne problem period, and I don't blame food for it, genetically that's my flaw. So in my opinion, don't look for a reason to place blame as to why you keep breaking out with such awful acne, just accept that you have it and go for treatment. It worked for me, and food had nothing to do with it.
what are you taking for oral antibiotics? how much clearer are you ... almost to the point of being completely clear?

as far as foods causing breakouts ... im sure there are some foods particular to individuals with acne than those without acne. just like you said though, i believe it to be more hormonal/genetic in a sense. BUT, it can be controlled by medication and a good diet will always help. if you notice that when on a clean diet, try eating some fried chicked from kfc or popeyes ... you will feel tired and your skin might break out .. mine does. well at any rate ... whenever you guys find something working ... keep at it because we are all different.

Last edited by turbonamja; 09-23-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Kudos on the post. The sad fact is, YES the truth can hurt, but living in ignorant "bliss" could hurt you more!

It's really odd there there are people that just dont quite "get" what it means when they say they have "genetic acne". Genes are the way your body expresses a combination of traits (thanks mom and dad) BUT this expression can sometimes be turned on or off, by environmental factors. Our bodies REQUIRE that we consume foods in order to develop properly, yet some of those very foods can induce health problems if we don't eat enough of them or we eat too much of them, depending on the what nutrients they provide us with. We would NEVER have hormonal processes if we didn't eat the foods that supply us with the building blocks to do so!

You would probably NEVER have lung cancer if you didn't smoke (or weren't exposed to pollution/toxins in the air)

You would probably NEVER have weight problems or obesity if you weren't eating the junk foods, tons of foods, or the "wrong" foods for your body type.

You would probably NEVER have high cholesterol if you werent eating foods LOW in fiber and HIGH in animal saturated & trans fats (hydrogenated, partially hydrongenated oils), among other foods.

You would probably NEVER have Type II Diabetes (90% of all diabetics) as this didn't exist 100 years ago and is on the RISE today, but there is also very distinct genetic connection. Funny thing is this genetic connection is among minority groups that didn't evolve on a "western diet" and therefore didn't consume tons of refined foods or wheat breads. These groups are better off not consuming such foods as it boosts thier risk as much as 80% vs. caucasions at 20%: Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, and I believe also Asian Americans.

The precursor to Type II Diabetes is Insulin Resistance or Hyperinsulinemia which is usually asymptomatic for many many many years, but is also something that people go through normally during PUBERTY or Pregnancy. The thing is that in order to grow our bodies have to become Hyperinsulinemic which can give some people, like myself, Hyperandrogenism. Therefore, if this condition is continually "fed" you can be left with lots of acne producing hormones looong after puberty and into decades of adulthood.

So if you have a choice as to which genes you can express, in regards to getting certain health problems & cancers, why wouldn't you choose to turn them OFF???

Another note, people gripe that we could promote eating disorders or that the food list is too restrictive, but who's heard of iodine causing acne?? I have my own opinions on this, but lots of people including derms and fellow acne sufferers will say that food doesn't cause acne, but iodine does. Well it does if you are allergic to it (sound familar?) or you are consuming too much of it (sound familiar?), but for others that's not a usually a problem (sounds familar?). LOL, yet, for those that believe this to be true, why don't you believe that carbohydrates & trans fats can also induce acne (via producing more acne hormones & inflammation)?

Or better yet instead of griping about what foods others, including myself, are avoiding to successfully reduce or eliminate our acne, why don't you try avoiding all the foods that contain iodine? It's based on the same principles as to what we avoid in terms of the trans fats, bad preservatives, high carbs, gluten, etc only....it is actually stricter! That way when you get clear, you can blame it on the iodine and ignore the possibiliity that it could have been because of one of the other culprits that these foods contain.

Oh and the maker of RetinA was the one who discovered this, but he doesn't know how much iodine is needed to trigger acne. Also, other vitamins & herbs supplements can trigger acne too, yet if you honestly want to know if iodine is your trigger, all you have to do is consume high iodine foods. These would be the shellfish and seawead/kelp, and turkey. If you don't breakout more than usual or in different places, then you are probably safe. Of course, it would be best of you to also reduce certain foods as some foods can mask your reaction to other foods, and therefore that test may not be so accurate.

That's my 2 cents

Last edited by SweetJade1; 09-23-2004 at 10:03 AM.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
(male)

senoflys HB User

i think i would have to agree about food and acne but i will admit that before i never believed it. However over this summer i did notice some very interesting things. I started to work out and really cleaned up my eating habits and noticed some interesting things. I should also mention that i started using proactive. The combination of the two was pretty good, i would get a few zits here and there but for the most part my skin began to clear up nicely. So why do I konw think that food triggers acne? well i have a little habit of smoking weed everynow and then and a few times this summer i would smoke it 2 or 3 nights in a row and of course get the munchies and then eat tons of crap food. I would down boxes of cookies and candy and slurpies and then within one ar two days i would break out. So of course i would go back to eating well and working out and after the big zits i got were gone i was back to the one here or there type thing....so long story short is that i really do believe that for people prone to acne, food is a huge trigger along with stress. But u also noticed that you don't have to go to extremes...you can have some candy or junk food here or there so long as you don't overdo it. but that is just my personal experience and if there is one thing i've learned its that everyone is diff with their acne.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 PM   #12

PinPal HB User
Smile Re: Food & acne (why dermatologists don't tell the truth)

I agree.

You also have to remember that foods these days are only getting more processed to appeal to our taste buds. I honestly dont think our bodies were meant to handle the things we eat. I only think genetics play a role in how our body handles malnutrition. That explains why not everybody gets acne, and Others can eat loads of junk food and not gain a pound. It just depends on your body.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #13
(female)

idealist HB User

andrew29,

i agree with most of what you think. but the two things i don't agree with is that 1. there would be a "cure" if there could be. and 2. that acne is just a cosmetic concern.

it seems to me that the medical profession, along with the majority of western civilization, has been brainwashed in way...to believe that it's NORMAL to eat food from a box/can, fast food, highly processed food, etc. and that it's NORMAL to have acne into adulthood. the handful of med students and doctors i know consume large amounts of processed food, just like everyone else. also, nutrition is not a priority in medical school.

in the medical profession, the focus seems to be on TREATMENT, not as much on PREVENTION. they tell you "change your diet" once you are ALREADY fat or have high bp or high cholesterol. i've been rather scrawny my whole life, without any health probs until my mid 20s. not once in during my youth, did an MD question or advise me on my diet. now, if i had been a very overweight child do you think i would have been? yes, most likely! and that's another problem. assuming just because you "look" ok that you are healthy. we have to remember, food is doing stuff to our bodies INTERNALLY, and they affects may not manifests themselves externally (for example, hormonal imbalances).

the rise of type II diabetes and obesity in children is evidence that diet high in processed food is harmful. i truly believe MANY ailments, not just acne, would be prevented, if good eating habits are sustained throughout childhood. diet should be stressed from an a very early age, just like good teeth brushing habits are to PREVENT cavities.

about acne just being a cosmetic concern...i feel that's another part of being brainwashed. and this philosophy is part of the PROBLEM. acne IS life threatening in a way...acne IS telling us something is awry in our system.

as far as the genetic dispostion to acne, i believe in an interactionist theory; a combo of genetic and environmental factors. consider smoking. not everyone that smokes will get lung cancer. but chances are if you have a family history of lung cancer you are PREDISPOSED to getting it. meaning you can easily turn that cancer switch "on" by smoking.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:22 AM   #14

Freerider HB User

I'm brand new to the board. Hello. My 12-year struggle with acne has brought me here. I've been on my own personal quest for viable acne prevention ever since paying my final visit ever to a dermatologist two years ago. I lived a life enslaved to acne vulgaris (couldn't they have given Acne a more amiable last name). I went the whole antibiotics-accutane-topicals-proactiv route like most everyone else who still has acne problems past their early 20's. I've allowed dermatologists to pump me full of one foreign substance after another to the point my body had become a chronic complainer.

I was searching online one time trying to find a remedy to acne that didn't call for anything unnatural coming in contact with my body. I found a few sites talking about a diet-acne connection. I remember laughing and thinking, "How archaic. Haven't these people listened to anything dermatologist said in the past 30 years". Then that's when the epiphony happened….I have been listening to dermatologists ever since my first zit in the early '90s and it has left me no different than when I first began. I became set on finding information that went against the dermatological world's treatments and views on acne.

Side note: it was that day that I got off the Proactiv caustic wash and broke out like a convict at the penitentuary. The urge to get back on Proactiv so I would not have to wear a ski mask in public was excruciating. But I persisted with strength from the good Lord above and my resolve to do things naturally. So I ran into a site by some lady named Wai. I was fascinated by her explanations on the connection between food and acne-- so much so that I tried her sample diet for a month. Basically just fruit, veggies, healthy fats…everything raw. I noticed tremendous improvements, 90% clear. But I got greedy and wanted to be closer to the century mark. I sought more websites that linked eating and acne. I ran into Loren Cordain's study of the acne-free people in PNG and Paraguay. Fascinating reading material. I re-introduced chicken and fish to my diet. I got to about 95% clear.

Further reading found a connection between the glycemic loads of food and acne. This made the most sense to me. Some of the fruits I was eating (grapes, banannas, dried fruits, fruit juices) have a higher GL. Once I kicked them out of my diet I was at 97% (these percentages are an amusing attempt at quantifying my acne vulgaris). Lastly, I read about superfoods like garlic, coconut, avocado, brazil nuts. I ate more of these and have been 99% clear for a few months. I slip up now and then, and my face erupts. That's how I have drawn the connection between foods and acne. I believe it with all my heart, though I know there are other factors involved (I am searching for these factors now).

I know this post was long. My first one, cut me some slack. I will be less verbose in posts to come, I promise. BTW, SweetJade, I've admired your work for a few months now.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #15

gfd HB User

That good point I think maybe they dont want to find a cure too I dont know food cause acne or not But I eat alot of sugar and fast food sometime I wonder if foods I"m eating are causing my acne I use alot acne products they dont really clear my skin up at times I think there making my skin look worse than helping it. People said acne just a myth other people say it cause acne so I dont know what to believe I''m going to try not to eat so much sugar and fast food and see how my skin look it will be hard for me because I have a real sweetooth. I"m still going to eat sugar but not as much.

Closed Thread