It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran

Neca HB User
Question Does Retin-A lighten the skin or fade discolouration?

Does anyone know how Retin-A should be applied when treating sun spots and hyperpigmentation? I have a tub of Tretinion cream (which I am assume is similar to Retin-A) and am trying to help fade a sun spot and skin discolouration on my nose. The leaflet just says to use a pea-sized amout but does that mean you spread it out or you just put it on the certain areas without rubbing in?

What I am most concerned about is the fact that there might be a clear difference in the skin tone after many months of use however I am not exactly sure how Retin-A works. Does it just light the skin or fade hyperpigmentation. I have used sun spot creams in the past and all that ends up happening is you have this obvious white strip of skin where the cream has been applied and skin lightened and it is clearly visible when you compare it to your normal skin. I really do not want this to happen to my skin again when using Retin-A. So do any of you guys know whether or not this happens with this product?

Old 10-07-2004, 03:11 PM   #2

shutterlag HB User
Re: Does Retin-A lighten the skin or fade discolouration?

well, i'm not sure if this helps.. but nobody is replying..
i got very tan over the summer and i've been using retin-a for six weeks..
my face is now paler than it was before i got tan. i don't match at all, it looks ridiculous.
it definitely will lighten your skin, i don't think it 'bleaches' it per se but it makes skin peel faster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran

Neca HB User

Hi Shutterlag, thanks for your reply. Yes that is what I was concerned about regarding the Retin-A. I wouldn't really want to use it if it bleached my skin because there would be an abvious contrast in skin tone areas. As Retin-A encourages skin turnover that means it should be a good thing and help push this discolouration off my skin.

I have read that it can cause redness which is another thing I am slightly concerned about. Furthermore, is it ok to use a moisturiser after applying Retin-A on the skin, usually I wait about 20mins from the moment I have applied the Retin-A before I apply my moisturiser? Thanks !

Old 10-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #4

shawngt2 HB User

Shutterlag, I've got a question for you. It's funny this discussion has happened to be here at this time because I've been using Retin-A Micro for about 5 mos and althought my acne has considerably improved it has lightened my skin so much that everyone noticed now that my skin is pale. People ask if I go outside... It's really becoming embarassing and I don't know if it's possible to get a tan and use this product at the same time. But, it says to avoid all sun while using this med. If I stop I'm afraid in a matter of a month my pores will begin to clog up again and end up where I was before the summer. I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to help and I don't know if this paleness side effect of treatment is worth it. I don't know which way to go. I just want to look normal and people not be drawn to my skin and how it looks because of either breaking out or being super pale like all I do is sit at the computer all day. WHAT DO I DO!!!???

I'd really love to hear from someone that has been in this situation and what they did to resolve. I don't get any redness anymore, just a little peeling after my morning face wash.

Shawn

Last edited by shawngt2; 10-07-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:03 AM   #5
Inactive

beautyskindeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawngt2
Shutterlag, I've got a question for you. It's funny this discussion has happened to be here at this time because I've been using Retin-A Micro for about 5 mos and althought my acne has considerably improved it has lightened my skin so much that everyone noticed now that my skin is pale. People ask if I go outside... It's really becoming embarassing and I don't know if it's possible to get a tan and use this product at the same time. But, it says to avoid all sun while using this med. If I stop I'm afraid in a matter of a month my pores will begin to clog up again and end up where I was before the summer. I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to help and I don't know if this paleness side effect of treatment is worth it. I don't know which way to go. I just want to look normal and people not be drawn to my skin and how it looks because of either breaking out or being super pale like all I do is sit at the computer all day. WHAT DO I DO!!!???

I'd really love to hear from someone that has been in this situation and what they did to resolve. I don't get any redness anymore, just a little peeling after my morning face wash.

Shawn
I've been on retin-a for alittle over 2 months and now that you guys are mentioning it I have noticed that my skin WAS slightly pale, I wasn't quite sure just why though. I'm African-American with skin the complexion of Halle Berry, tan naturally. When my skin started to pale I thought maybe I was just going through the motions with the BP I've been using. My friend works at Origins and he gave me this fabulous AHA called starting over, now you don't have to use this brand because I've tried one by Clinique and it works just as good. AHA makes the complexion very even and youthful. It's so underrated. I wouldn't stop using Retin-A, althought I don't use it everyday for fear of resistants. Retin-A is a miracle in a tube FOR ME. It has so many beneficial qualities. Aside from it being medical it's also cosmetic as well, as it will smooth out the skin, fade dark spots and shrink oil glands. You've got to decide what you want more; acne-free skin or even-acne skin. But you really don't have to trade one for the other, get yourself some AHA, and watch how in a matter of days your skin looks different. Actually because it's a serum (vitamins A,E, fruit acid and all kinds of wonderful things in it) your skin gets an instant glow, it literally takes off years. So try it before you give up your Retin-A, so that you too can have the best of both worlds.

Sorry this was so long, but I hate the fact that people suffer because there not given good advice.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #6

shutterlag HB User

neca- i'm not sure about the moisturizer... i've always used the retin-a at night, washed it off in the mornings, and then put moisturizer on when i needed it. your face will probably be red when you're just starting using retin-a.. it just depends on my skin. i asked my doctor for retin-a micro, because it irritates your skin less.

shawn- some people have really severe reactions to sunlight while on retinoids... ie, go outside for 10 minutes and get burnt to a crisp. so they have to have these really threatening warning labels on it because some people get so burned. retin-a doesn't make my skin more sensitive to the sun at all... you just have to be careful.
i can only think of two options... going to a tanning salon, or using sunless tanning stuff. i've never used that before so i can't really help you there.. all i know is it turns some people this obvious orange color, and i don't know how it would affect acne.
as for tanning- i would use your own judgement, if retin-a seems to make your skin burn more quickly, definitely don't tan. for some people, tanning seems to help their acne, and for some people, it seems to make it worse. i guess the question is, has getting a lot of sun helped or made your acne worse in the past? and, how quickly do you burn while you're on retin-a versus normally? if you decide to go to a tanning salon, i would tan very gradually.

as for stopping the retin-a.. i think most everybody would consider being pale a lot less worse than having acne. i'd definitely take being extremely pale over being broken out all the time, but i understand. it's annoying. i usually wear foundation to make my skin look a little bit less pale, and this week i didn't.. people are constantly telling me how i look sick. the paleness makes acne scars stand out more too. maybe people will leave us alone when it gets to be january, februrary etc, when most everybody is sort of pale. but, in the meantime, i think i'm gonna start exfoliating the rest of my body so i at least match..
well i hope this helped some, if anything, i feel your pain

Old 10-10-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran

Neca HB User

Well still no signs of any redness or dry skin while using the Retin-A but have broken out quite heavily with red marks which is really annoying. The weird thing is that when I wake up in the morning after a night with Retin-A on there seems to be virtually no change with regards to my skin. It's like the Retin-A is doing nothing at all. This might be due to the fact that it is only 0.05% so could take some time. Anyway I hope this break out doesn't last too long as it is getting me real down.

Does anyone know if it is dangerous to use Retin-A whilst taking Vitamin A supplements? I'm taking around 100,000 IU. What are these dangers as well? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #8

shutterlag HB User

definitely give retin-a at least eight weeks to work. it'll get worse before it gets better... since it purges clogged pores... and then that, on top of what else was wrong with your skin, has to heal.. i'm on week seven and i'm just starting to see some steady improvement in my acne and maybe a tiny bit of improvement with acne scars (red marks). it's really rough at first, i broke out pretty badly too .. you gotta stick with it

Closed Thread