It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 09:49 AM   #1

DirtDiva HB UserDirtDiva HB UserDirtDiva HB User
Retin A Micro update

Hello Everyone,

Well, it's only been a few days since my daughter started the Retin-A Micro and I already need some words of wisdom.

She says that her face is so oily she can't stand it. She says that her face has never felt this oily. The weather is the same, nothing different. Does this side effect sound right to you?

The only difference is we changed to the Cetaphil. When she first tried it she said that is was weird not having the "foamy feeling" but that her face felt really clean, yet not oily feeling. I bought a big bottle since I thought it was going to great. Do you think this might have an effect on the Retin-A Micro?

We were all prepared for dry flaky skin. What gives?
Thanks for the help!

Old 10-09-2004, 06:43 PM   #2

IHATEACNE1111 HB User
Re: Retin A Micro update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva
Hello Everyone,

Well, it's only been a few days since my daughter started the Retin-A Micro and I already need some words of wisdom.

She says that her face is so oily she can't stand it. She says that her face has never felt this oily. The weather is the same, nothing different. Does this side effect sound right to you?

The only difference is we changed to the Cetaphil. When she first tried it she said that is was weird not having the "foamy feeling" but that her face felt really clean, yet not oily feeling. I bought a big bottle since I thought it was going to great. Do you think this might have an effect on the Retin-A Micro?

We were all prepared for dry flaky skin. What gives?
Thanks for the help!
I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but i am 16 and am almost going on a month of being on Retin-A micro. I was exrememly oily at first, it was like my oil glands were on hyperdrive. Then came the breakout...i guess the oiliness is due to all of the stuff being purged from your skin...At about week 4 i am seeing dramatic inprovements all ready. and havent gotten a breakout for about a week..which is good for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 09:01 AM   #3

DirtDiva HB UserDirtDiva HB UserDirtDiva HB User

Thanks for responding. Yes, my daughter is 16 years old. What did you do for the excessive oil until that time?

I told her to try using a warm, plain watered wash cloth and just remove the excess oil inbetween(not at night when the Retin-A is suppose to be working). It's during the day that it's bugging her. Or during school she can just blot with a tissue now and again.

I don't think washing the face 2-3 times per day with the Cetaphil would be a good idea right now. Seems a little much to wash your face that much.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #4

shutterlag HB User

retin-a micro is actually perscribed to some people to help oily skin.. retin-a micro is probably drying her skin out to the point where it overproduces oil.

i've always had normal to dry skin, and i've been using retin-a micro for 6 weeks- it's just beginning to work. but my skin is so oily now, it's disgusting. right after i wash (with a gentle cleanser like cetaphil) my skin is very dry- to the point where i can't put makeup on without it peeling. i don't even use a washcloth anymore because it's too rough- i just wash my face with my hands, and i let my face 'air dry'. after an hour it's oily. by washing her face a lot, using a more drying facewash, or even using a washcloth is probably going to be counterproductive.

things i've found that helped:
-using a tiny amount of retin-a micro at nights, pea-sized or smaller for my entire face. it says on the retin-a micro website that using a lot of retin-a micro will just make skin more irritated...
-this seems weird, but using a moisturizer will actually help skin return to its normal balance. after she washes the retin-a micro off her face try using a little bit of moisturizer... try one for oily skin.
-using oil blotting sheets during the day to keep from looking too shiny. you can find these at drugstores, clean and clear makes some. a tissue might have lotion on it that will clog her pores... these sheets are non-comedogenic
-using a talc & cornsilk-based powder. this helps me the most.

i hope this helped some... i definitely feel her pain, ridiculously oily skin seems to be pretty common for people using retin-a. i hope her skin adjusts to it better than mine has

Old 10-10-2004, 07:51 PM   #5

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

im gonna disagree bug, my oil was really bad for a while. but ithink its because my ksin is purgin out all the bad stuff, now it isnt so bad and my skin feels healthier than ever

Old 10-10-2004, 08:56 PM   #6

edge HB User

I started using it about 5 days ago and my face is a bit more oily. The doc said it would be since its pulling all the stuff out of my face. I just wash with zest soap in the morning to get it all off and do at night before i apply the retin A. Im going to buy some neutrogena stuff that the website recommends to wash with.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:00 PM   #7

InTheDarkness HB User

I HATED Retin a micro.. All it did was make my face VERY red and ugly to look at. It brought out nasty big zits all along my jawbone line and forehead, made my pores look huge, and made my face look like a nasty red oily acne-factory. My advice, get off it as soon as u can before one day u look in the mirror and go.. Damn... What did I DO to myself.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #8

edge HB User

Wow.

I have never heard a story like that about Retin A. Strange...

Old 10-11-2004, 09:39 PM   #9

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDarkness
I HATED Retin a micro.. All it did was make my face VERY red and ugly to look at. It brought out nasty big zits all along my jawbone line and forehead, made my pores look huge, and made my face look like a nasty red oily acne-factory. My advice, get off it as soon as u can before one day u look in the mirror and go.. Damn... What did I DO to myself.
HMM yeah that is wierd...i have just about finished week four and am allready seeing results...im reallly happy i just hope it stays this way. Ill keep yall posted every now and then. Im sorry to hear RAM ruined your skin...i love the stuff and have seen not one side effect from it...no photosensitivity, my skin is still nice and tan, and my acne is going away, couldnt as kfor much more, the oil is sorta annoying, but i mean id really rather be oily than acney

Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 PM   #10

aaron7 HB User

I'm on the good side of retina A micro i guess...I have been using it for about 1 year now...it's good. I think even with it, I will still get a few zits a month though...i think w/ BP combined i can get rid of all, maybe? I'm not sure yet. I almost never get anything on my forehead but just cheeks mostly now w/RetinA.

Last edited by aaron7; 10-14-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:00 AM   #11

Beau HB User

Dirt Diva, I used Tazorc which is another retinoid. My dermo suggested I use an oil absorbing moisturizer. Neo Strata Oil Free Lotion helped balance out the moisture while absorbing the oil. It also has sunscreen which is vital while on these retinoids. She also gave me samples of something called Clinac O.C. which is exclusively for oil control but I could never find it. She said it should be over the counter at any pharmacy for about $5. The Neostrata worked well for me because I am older and needed moisture and sunscreen. Good Luck.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #12

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

Wow i just finished my last pill of Doxy for this first 30 days, and i can safely say there has been no improvement while on doxy and Retin A Micro....Well see waht the derm says...I've got an appointment tommorow so well see, hopefully hell put me on something that actually works

Closed Thread