It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

KooKoo HB User
Need a toner for sensitive skin...please help

hi all, i used to use neutrogena alcohol-free toner (it was pretty GREAT), but i've had it so long that now there is a newer version w/diff ingredients...so i'm hesitant to use it.
i'm thinking a/b tryign neutrogena's (newer version) alcohol-free one or their new sensitive skin solutions alcohol-free toner for all sensitive skin types. These face products are gettin so expensive now...geez.

anyone try these before or reccomend ur own? also, i tried their sensitv skn w/salicylic acid (the blue bottle)...its alright, but i feel liek it leaves a slight flim of moisture-like lotion. and i always wana wash it off.

what do u guys think a/b oil of olay, dove, etc toners? any good?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #2

amy07 HB User
Re: Need a toner for sensitive skin...please help

After reading these boards, I decided to buy witch hazel and just use that as a toner. I like it a lot. Its REAL cheap and you get this huge bottle of it. Try the T.N. Dickinson brand. It hasn't broken me out and its not that drying. May take you a minute to get used to the smell though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

mandersBC HB User

I've read that some individuals use diluted apple cider vinegar as a toner. It is supposed to work pretty well!

Old 10-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
(female)

jakcpk HB User

Clinique makes a great toner. What is even better is that you can try it, then take it back to the store if you don't like it. Just keep your receipt and the box. I did this 2 times before finding the right toner.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:36 AM   #5
Inactive

RaceBannon HB User

KooKoo, I have sensitive skin to.
The best toner i'v found is the Dove essential nutrients Toner.
It has Vitamin A, E, Green Tea, GrapeSeed and Zinc. Its a non alcohol toner and non comedogenic.
It makes my skin feel really good.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

sammy726 HB User

The best toner is witch hazel. It's cheap and doesn't dry your skin out at all. I love it.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I like the Dove toner too. Never tried Witch Hazel but I think I'll go pick some of it up and give it a try and alternate it with the Dove toner.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:41 AM   #8

Beau HB User

Both of the Dermotologists I see say do not use a toner. If you have sensitive skin I would think a toner would only exacerbate the situation. Many cleansers have toner qualities built in to them. Dr. Perricone has a good cleanser for acne prone skin and I believe Murad does as well. Neutrogena may even have a similar product.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

KooKoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBannon
It has Vitamin A, E, Green Tea, GrapeSeed and Zinc. Its a non alcohol toner and non comedogenic.
thanks RaceBannon, does ur dove toner get rid of oil? does it leave a film at all?

Old 10-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
(female)

KooKoo HB User

thanks to all who wrote back. i think i may try the dove toner. i already use their body soap. i tried the facial cleanser, but i dont' really liek it, so i wasnt' sure a/b the toner, but i might try it since a couple of u like it so much.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:26 PM   #11
(female)

desertgirl HB User

Oil of Olay has a great toner. It's their "refreshing toner;" it's pretty old and not part of their newest skin care line, but I like it the best. It's got witch hazel in it, which helps control oil (at least mine), but it's also got moisturizers so you don't get dried out. It doesn't leave that filmy feeling that you mentioned before.
It's not very expensive-only about $4. I get mine at Target. If you look for it, it's in a clear plastic bottle with blue liquid inside. It's usually towards the bottom, because they want you to see the more expensive stuff first. It also smells great, but is not irritating at all. Good luck!

Last edited by desertgirl; 10-12-2004 at 08:27 PM.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 PM   #12
Inactive

RaceBannon HB User

The Oil of Olay has alcohol in it, which is why I liked the Dove Toner better.
The Dove is a non alcohol toner. I have oily skin. I found my routine gets rid of the oil.

I use neutrogena Deep clean gentile scrub. This is a good cleanser.

Iím using a Dove essential nutrients Toner.

I'm using the Neutrogena multi vitamin acne treatment. Its a lotion with lots of vitamins and salicylic acid. This lotion worked great on me. It totally cleared my acne and red spots.
Yes I break out once in awhile, but the this is by far the best thing to clear my facial acne.

I recommend the Olay Lotions. There great.
Olay Complete UV Defense Moisture Lotion. It has vitamin C, E, SPF 15 and Zinc Oxide. Its Non- Comedogenic.

Olay Complete Ultra-Rich Moisture Lotion For Extra Dry Skin. It has vitamins A, E, B3, pro-vitamins B5, Zinc Oxide and SPF 15. Its Non-Comedogenic.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:13 PM   #13
(female)

unruhe HB User

Can someone please explain the difference between toners, astringents, etc...? I did a search online once, but they still sounded pretty similiar.

Which is the one that pH balances?

Old 10-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #14
(female)

KooKoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBannon

thanks! i just went out and bought a bottle today. i'll keep ya posted how it goes.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:25 PM   #15
(female)

KooKoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau
Both of the Dermotologists I see say do not use a toner. If you have sensitive skin I would think a toner would only exacerbate the situation. Many cleansers have toner qualities built in to them. Dr. Perricone has a good cleanser for acne prone skin and I believe Murad does as well. Neutrogena may even have a similar product.
thanks beau for the info. i feel liek the toner helps my skin when its feeling roughish even though i'm sensitive. i dont use toners often, only when my face feels weird or i break out and need to calm it down.

Closed Thread