It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #1

chyna_dawl HB User
How bad is the initial breakout from birth control pills?

Hi everybody,

I am thinking of starting Ortho Tri-cyclen in a few days (period is coming up)....
About a month or so ago, i went on Alesse and it wreaked havoc on my face.
I'm pretty convinced it was Alesse itself that caused the trouble.
I'm hoping not all birth control pills will do this to me.
I hear there is an initial breakout from any birth control pill? How bad is the initial breakout, and how long does it last?
I ask this because I'm hoping that Ortho Tri-cyclen does not do to me what Alesse did.
I took it only for two weeks because my skin was terrible!
I could deal with an initial breakout, but not to the point of making my acne from mild to moderate-severe!
Any comments would be appreciated.
I'm so scared of the first few months - I hear at about 4-6 months, the acne usually clears somewhat.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: How bad is the initial breakout from birth control pills?

Granted, I'm on topicals which help a lot. But the most I've broken out when starting the pill (which I've done like 4 or 5 times) is a zit or two. My dermo says it takes 5 months to see improvement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyna_dawl
Hi everybody,

I am thinking of starting Ortho Tri-cyclen in a few days (period is coming up)....
About a month or so ago, i went on Alesse and it wreaked havoc on my face.
I'm pretty convinced it was Alesse itself that caused the trouble.
I'm hoping not all birth control pills will do this to me.
I hear there is an initial breakout from any birth control pill? How bad is the initial breakout, and how long does it last?
I ask this because I'm hoping that Ortho Tri-cyclen does not do to me what Alesse did.
I took it only for two weeks because my skin was terrible!
I could deal with an initial breakout, but not to the point of making my acne from mild to moderate-severe!
Any comments would be appreciated.
I'm so scared of the first few months - I hear at about 4-6 months, the acne usually clears somewhat.
My daughter cleared in the first month of ortho-tricyclen and that was cool but then she broke out in month 2 and it got worse and worse until she quit in month 4 when she started accutane. It got really bad. We didn't want to stick around for 6 months to see what would happen. She was going to stay on it but I didn't want it to still break her out when she went off the tane.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #4

chyna_dawl HB User

Thanks for the comments...

I'm so scared my acne is gonna get really bad like with Alesse.
I'm pretty sure it was that particular pill however.
I heard it is pretty androgenic.
I'm just hoping my initial breakout isn't horrible - since the reason I want to go on it is to CLEAR my acne (not make it worse).
Arrrrggghh... this is so frustrating.
Wish this acne would just go away.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #5

amy07 HB User

I know how you feel! I'm about to start Yasmin on Sunday and I'm kinda sketched out about the whole "initial breakout period". I've been on 100mg a day of Spiro for about a month and a half, and my face is slowly getting better (still getting pimples, but at least they are smaller) and I don't want Yasmin to mess that up! And yes it is beyond frustrating, I've been doubting that my face will ever get better.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:37 AM   #6

surenitynow HB User

i just started yasmin a week and a half ago and im also concerned about this initial breakout the special few get. I know its pretty soon to tell a difference i guess, but, i do notice that my face is alot calmer..although i got two "almost" new zits but i use the proactiv sulfer refining mask as a spot treatment at night and it totally makes them go away!(but thats a different story though, ill probably write about it in its own thread) so anyway, it makes me/everyone on b.c. a bit uneasy because i dont know when to expect this breakout if im going to get one...its different for everyone so just hope for the best!!

Old 10-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
(female)

PrettyNplnk HB User

I have been on Yasmin for 3 months, and honestly, I have never had more pimples at once in my life.
On top of this, my thick hair is falling out like crazy.
I am going to the doctor on the 20th to see if this is supposed to stop anytime soon.
I am trying to be patient, but it's getting very frustrating!!!
BTW.. Results vary. Yasmin may work well for you. Try it out yourself before letting someone else's experience change your mind.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #8

surenitynow HB User

when did you notice the increase of breakouts? after a few weeks? months??

Old 10-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #9

chyna_dawl HB User

I'm so scared of trying any birth control pill now....
Arrrrgggh - i can deal with the nausea - but the severe breakout?
Thats the whole reason I want to go on the pill - to avoid getting more acne.
How frustrating.
Alesse killed my face - went off it after two weeks - 1 month later, my skin has still not healed much.
I'll probably try Ortho Tri-cyclen.
If that doesn't work...... I don't know what other options I have left.
Accutane is a no says the derm - I went on it once already.
It kept my skin clear for about 1 1/2 years.
So frustrating.

Old 10-17-2004, 08:38 PM   #10

surenitynow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyna_dawl
I'm so scared of trying any birth control pill now....
Arrrrgggh - i can deal with the nausea - but the severe breakout?
Thats the whole reason I want to go on the pill - to avoid getting more acne.
How frustrating.
Alesse killed my face - went off it after two weeks - 1 month later, my skin has still not healed much.
I'll probably try Ortho Tri-cyclen.
If that doesn't work...... I don't know what other options I have left.
Accutane is a no says the derm - I went on it once already.
It kept my skin clear for about 1 1/2 years.
So frustrating.

please dont get down too much!! the breakout dosnt always happen to every one...im trying yasmin right now because its one that ive heard many good things about on the boards...but still some people say it didnt help them...im trying it anyway...its only been 2 weeks but havent noticed anything bad yet...im just wondering when this breakout usually comes, but i hope it dosnt.
you should probably try the Ortho one or yasmin, if the Alesse didnt work one of these might...there all slightly different

Old 10-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #11

moe2121 HB User

Ive been on ortho-tri cyclen for a week now to help with my acne. I really dont think i have had a "breakout" from it although i do have one big zit but that may not be from the pill. Im so happy that i havent felt nautious or anything from it like everyone says. I suggest taking it at night possibly before you go to bed-it lessens side effects. Just a suggestion to possibly help you. good luck. let me know how it goes-ill keep you updated too.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #12

chyna_dawl HB User

Just something I found while surfing the net....

The difficulty with birth control pills is similar to a pregnancy -- the first trimester, or the first 2 months of the pregnancy, or the first 2 months on the birth control pill the acne may flare up. The last trimester, or the 5th and 6th month of the birth control pill, the acne may improve because the estrogens have become dominant. However, 90 days after the pregnancy or 90 days after the birth control pill is stopped the acne may flare up again the same as it was before the birth control pills or even worse. The difficulty with birth control pills and acne is it is a temporary solution that doesnít stop the acne, just creates a window and a hiatus of the acne that may flare again, often when the birth control pills are discontinued. With that in mind it is good to use a topical skin care program along with the birth control pills, and to speed up the topical skin care program when you discontinue the birth control pills, then continue on for several months with the skin care program to make sure there is no flare-up of the acne.

MAYBE THAT EXPLAINS WHY WE BREAKOUT WHEN STARTING OR GOING OFF IT...

Gave me a little more hope anyways hehe

Old 10-17-2004, 09:33 PM   #13
(female)

mandersBC HB User

That's pretty interesting info. I'm 3/4 the way through a pack of generic ortho tricyclen - I got a few zits at the beginning, but getting a few zits is normal for me. I should be getting my period in a little over a week, and my skin looks really good. I looked at it this morning and was impressed!

Old 10-18-2004, 12:10 PM   #14

Kelly1212 HB User

Does spiro cause an initial breakout?My acne is quite mild at the moment so i don't want to make it worse.I just want to stop breaking out at all and hopefully spiro could do this but i'm afraid of it making it worse!!!

Old 10-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #15

chyna_dawl HB User

Hey everybody,

I hope I get my period soon - I'm so frustrated.
My acne keeps getting progressively worse - had to drop the topicals because they were aggravating my skin even more.
Why am I still breaking out?
It's been a month since I went off Alesse.
So I guess my next option is trying Ortho - and sticking with it.
My body is so sensitive to hormones.
Its incredible how sensitive my body is.
Anyways, I don't feel like seeing my boyfriend..... he has never seen me like this.
I don't know what to do......

Frustrated and upset

Closed Thread