It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 08:20 AM   #1

misskier HB User
HELP! terribly sensitive skin!

I have the most sensitive skin in the world! and to make it worse I have acne along with it. I've noticed that I need to use products that are fragrance-free, soap-free, oil-free, etc., and of course won't clog pores. I have tried so many things and my skin always becomes red, itchy, or breaks out. I don't have many huge pimples, only tiny ones as well as blackheads.

Please anyone have any suggestions as what may work or I should try?? as in face wash? acne treatment? moisterizers? and/or make-up?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Re: HELP! terribly sensitive skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskier
I have the most sensitive skin in the world! and to make it worse I have acne along with it. I've noticed that I need to use products that are fragrance-free, soap-free, oil-free, etc., and of course won't clog pores. I have tried so many things and my skin always becomes red, itchy, or breaks out. I don't have many huge pimples, only tiny ones as well as blackheads.

Please anyone have any suggestions as what may work or I should try?? as in face wash? acne treatment? moisterizers? and/or make-up?

Hi if you are in the U.K i would suggest Tesco Sensitive Facial Wash Creme

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 11:49 AM   #3

marcen HB User

Your skin is like mine. I recommend using nothing but warm water to clean and the occasional mild scrub to exfoliate (maybe once every 1-2 weeks). I also use jojoba (100% pure) oil to remove cleanse and moisturize. I either put a bit on and then rinse it off (if my skin is unclean) or I rub a few drops in and leave it on. It is great at cleansing the pores. I also take omega oils (hempseed or flaxseed oil) which seems to help a lot.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

My skin is sensitive and I am amazed that skin can be clean with jojoba oil. As far as omega oils to take there is one called Coromega fish oil that is orange flavored and doesnt give you fish gas sold in the health food stores. Kind of expensive but worth it.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

I have super sensitive skin too. Its trial and error, but here is what I can tolerate:
Cleanser: Dove Sensitive Essentials for Sensitive Skin (the non-foaming one)
Moisturizer: Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin
Acne Treatments: Differin Cream
Rosacea: Rosac (helps with acne too)
I also take spironolactone and birth control pills to help my skin.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #6

marcen HB User

Jojoba oil is great at removing make-up - just don't use too much or your skin can feel pretty greasy. It won't absorb more than it needs.
I use st ives apricot scrub (not the acne one), but only occasionally.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #7

misskier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia_girl
Jojoba oil is great at removing make-up - just don't use too much or your skin can feel pretty greasy. It won't absorb more than it needs.

can i just buy jojoba oil at wal-mart or somewhere similiar??

THANKS!!

Old 10-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Inactive

D Licious HB User

I have your problem also. Olay's new Sensitive Skin Foaming face wash with Aloe is amazing. Try it! That moisturizer is good too.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:56 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Yes, Differin is prescription. Honestly I haven't used anything over the counter in over 10 years so I'm not the best person to ask

Old 10-22-2004, 10:38 PM   #10

marie_cda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskier

I completely relate to you--I have the same problems too! Here are the products my skin can tolerate:

-ROC Hydra Matte moisturizer and ROC Gentle exfoliating cream
-Anything by Cetaphil except for their Oily Skin Cleanser (it dried my skin out badly!). Their Gentle Skin Cleanser is great.
-Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser and Neutrogena Non-Comedogenic Facial Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin
-I use Light Mineral Oil that I get at the local drugstore to remove makeup from my skin
-I use Retin-A cream when the breakouts are superbad! Sometimes I use tea tree oil if a pimple gets really flared up.
-Stuff by Avene and Toleriane work well with me too

Hope that helps!

Old 10-22-2004, 10:45 PM   #11

marie_cda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia_girl
MissKier:

I tried the St. Ives Apricot scrub and my skin couldn't handle it. According to Paula Begoun's book, this product has lanonlin oil, sodium lauryl sulfate which are known to irritate skin. I can't remember now, but I think it has fragrance too which is why I couldn't use it again. Just wanted to share a different experience of this product.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:32 PM   #12

misskier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_cda
MissKier:

I tried the St. Ives Apricot scrub and my skin couldn't handle it. According to Paula Begoun's book, this product has lanonlin oil, sodium lauryl sulfate which are known to irritate skin. I can't remember now, but I think it has fragrance too which is why I couldn't use it again. Just wanted to share a different experience of this product.

thanks so much for your response and suggestions! I surely could not use St. Ives if it has fragrance... my face will be so itchy!
I'll definitely go check out the ROC and Neutrogena products you suggested and see which works best.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 05-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
(female)

canadianiam HB User

Hey! I have the EXACT same problems, with the very sensitive skin, along with the acne (a lot of little bumps, and blackheads) I just started Differin Cream but i have to stop it because it's making my skin very dry, with red patches... my face just feels irritated. I've also tried Clindamycin (sp?) with Neostrata mix, that worked for a while in the summer, but once winter came my skin was irritated. Benzoclin also was irritating for me! I think i've used too many products on my skin, i don't ever recall my face being so sensitve. I think im going to give up on the topical stuff. I started Marvelon bcp, so i hope that helps... also im going to try a more healthy lifesetyle, like exercising regularly, eating more veggies and drinking more water. I hope you find something that works for you!!

Old 05-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
(female)

MsBecca HB User

My skin is horribly sensitive - so I feel for you.
I wouldnt recommend going with anything you can buy on a Wal Mart shelf, these products are made for everyone, and we are not everyone.

Try all natural products, they work incredibly well. If you go to a skin care place (Merle Norman has a very good skin care line, and like to give out samples). Also do a search for natural skin care products. They are wonderful for sensitive skin. A brand to try: Epidermx

A solution for right now - tea tree oil bar and water day and night.

For a moisturizer - Dermabutter! made by Epidermx (it's a little expensive, but soooo worth it for sensitive skin)

Best of luck-
Becca

Old 05-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #15
(female)

somersault HB User
Thumbs up Re: HELP! terribly sensitive skin!

To misskier:

I believe you have the exact same problem as me. Your symptoms are the same as mine. It took me a decade of trying everything to realize I'm allergic to all face washes, moisturizers, astringents, soap, etc. I can't wash my face at all. I don't wear makeup because it makes the flakes on my face stand out worse. For the last several weeks I've been trying a whole new routine...and I believe this just may be my ultimate cure and solution based on the results I've gotten.

I rinse my face with cool water and pat it dry. I apply a few tiny drops of jojoba oil on my face and rub it in. This is how I "wash" my face because jojoba oil unclogs your pores. Then I apply my "moisturizer" which is just a mixture of jojoba oil, Vitamin E oil, sweet almond oil, and rice bran oil. Just a tiny amount goes a long way. Rub that in good for awhile. After 10 minutes, whatever is left on the surface should be blotted off with a kleenex.

Here is the recipe for the "moisturizer potion" I use.

jojoba oil 4 ounces
Vitamin E oil 1 ounce
sweet almond oil 2 ounces
rice bran oil 1 ounce

Mix this all together and pour into two 4 ounce amber bottles with droppers. Makes 8 ounces total. If you use this on your face it will last a long time. A little goes a long way. If you use it all over your body like me it will last one month. I buy all these oils in bulk online and save tons of money. Make sure each one is totally pure. Check the ingredients. If anything else is added to them don't buy it!

Please don't waste your time with anymore face washes and moisturizers and soaps. Take it from me---I wasted a decade's worth on that crap. If you are allergic to everything like me...you will never find anything that works. It will only keep getting worse and you'll fall into despair. I wish I had discovered my allergy years ago. It would have saved me lots of heartache.

Just note that when you start to use jojoba oil your skin will get worse for a little while. All your blackheads will rise to the surface as acne. That is the only way to get rid of them. The jojoba oil is just cleaning out your pores. Keep with it. I've been keeping with it for a couple of months and now my skin is getting much better and softer and smoother too. I hear that this "moisturizer combination of oils" prevents wrinkles and also helps get rid of puffiness and discoloration under the eyes.

Anyway, stick with this routine for at least six months without giving up. It's the only way to know for sure how your skin will take to it. And good luck. If I can help in any other way let me know.

Closed Thread