It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 05:12 PM   #1

NickC HB User
WIll a dark Tan cover Scars?

I was thinking about tanning. Does anyone know if having a tan will cover small scars and blemishes?

Old 10-24-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
(female)

eirolg HB User
Re: WIll a dark Tan cover Scars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC
I was thinking about tanning. Does anyone know if having a tan will cover small scars and blemishes?

it will...to some degree. but it'll only be temporary. ive done it. also take into consideration that the treatment you may be using makes ur skin sensitive to UV rays. tanning would really be only damaging damaged skin. maybe self tanning would do something...i havent tried it yet. if u really want to get rid of scars, try a chem peel. home kits are cheaper than the professional ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #3

bratz HB User

Does anyone know of any place in Australia you could get chemical peels from?

Old 10-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #4

edge HB User

I used to tan once a week or so to cover up some of the acne. It works okay, but its only a temporary fix. I mean, it doesnt stop or even prevent acne, it just helps dry up what you have. But it can also irritate your face if you 1) go too long and 2) use chemicals on your face that could interact with the heat or lighting.

I still tan about once every 2-3 weeks, thats just because I can't stand being pale. I'm kinda taking a chill from it right now because i started Retin A Micro about 3 weeks ago and it is recommended that you don't tan when you first start using it.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #5

Hamer HB User

Tanning will only cause wrinkling.

Old 10-24-2004, 09:11 PM   #6

girlygal HB User

It is nice to look tan but what happened to me is that from tanning the marks got darker now I have dark spots on my face called hyperpigmentation and also I was using minocycline and it makes your skin more sensitive to the sun now that I have to let my tan go so I can get a chemical peel next month which I hope works I see alot of wrinkles so there are consequeces but I did look better with some color, but I was really tan. Think about it before you start. Ask your doctor if you have marks if they will also become darker because it happened to me. Good luck

Old 10-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #7
(male)

spinsta HB User

I would totally not try tanning if I were you. As a short term solution it's great, but now the little marks and discolorations i had from acne are even more pronounced and harder to get rid of. Sun damage is not just new damage you incur from the sun, it also makes the damaged parts of your skin even more damaged. As a result I'm spending tons of money on chemical peels that wont even completely erase the damage i did to my skin when i was in my tanning phase. I am a sun worshipper and i love the way tanned skin looks, but i'm holding out til 2006-07 when the tanning pill finally comes out.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:45 PM   #8

girlygal HB User

Spinsta,
What kind of peels are you doing and how many? Do you have alot of dark spots my problem sounds like yours but I was hoping one heavy tca peel will help me. Thanks

Old 10-26-2004, 12:21 PM   #9
(male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygal
Spinsta,
What kind of peels are you doing and how many? Do you have alot of dark spots my problem sounds like yours but I was hoping one heavy tca peel will help me. Thanks
Yeas- I have a bunch of little dark spots (kind of brownish reddish) from where there used to be acne. I've been trying to get rid of them forever! I also have like 4-5 very shallow scars and my pores on my cheeks are enlarged. I've done 2 tca peels since July and I'm going again next week. I'm also on differin and benzaclin. The combination of all this stuff has really gotten my acne under control. I've had acne forever, and now my breakouts are limited. I really feel like the peels have made a difference in the way my scars and dark spots look. They've kind of faded away my dark spots and minimized the appearance of the shallow scars. So I'm def. going to continue with the peels and I totally recommend them. I pay $150 a peel but its worth it. Right now I'm looking into trying either the obaji blue peel or blue-light treatment bc people here say it works so well. I've got a derm. appt. Fri. and I'm going to ask her also about getting on spiro bc I have oily skin and i think that that part of the problem.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #10

girlygal HB User

Dear Spinsta
Do you know what kind of tca peel is it a 50% or higher is it glycolic I do not know much about them my plastic surgeon is doing it while he is doing another procedure on me and I will not be awake, my dermatologist told me that sometimes he worries about getting darker spots or scarring what does that mean? Did your spots come off the first time you had it done and how long were you in hiding as I heard you look scary I have 3 little kids so I can only attempt this once I heard I will be in the house for at least ten days any info or what you expierenced will help. Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:53 PM   #11
(male)

spinsta HB User

The peels I've gotten are not like those intense anasthesia peels- they're in the derms office and he puts the stuff on your face for like 3-4 minutes and then puts water and cold stuff and you leave right away. You look pink for a few days, then you peel and peel for like 3-4 days and then you're done. You don't look that scary at all- it just looks like you have a sunburn. It's not glycolic acid (ive done those and they suck). The peel doesnt take all the spots off, its not like a miracle cure. BUT it does fade them and leaves your skin more even. I def. recommend it!

Old 10-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #12

girlygal HB User

spinsta
Thanks for your help, I am just nervous if it peels off the first or second layer of skin will there be spots under that and will they be darker or will wrinkles show and I am afraid of more hyperpigmentation or scarring those are things I was told by other people and my Dermatologist.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #13
(male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygal
spinsta
Thanks for your help, I am just nervous if it peels off the first or second layer of skin will there be spots under that and will they be darker or will wrinkles show and I am afraid of more hyperpigmentation or scarring those are things I was told by other people and my Dermatologist.
No problem, I've been going through this for awhile and I'm glad something is finally working. From what I've been told this helps out with wrinkles and I'm pretty sure that it won't cause hyperpigmentation but I would ofcourse check with your derm. I wouldn't have tried it if i thought there was a chance for hyperpigmentation bc thats exactly what I'm trying to treat. I would look into these peels first instead of the huge anasthesia-type peels.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:21 AM   #14

girlygal HB User

Thanks for your help, I think the peel I am getting sounds like the one you get. I will let you know.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #15
(male)

spinsta HB User

Good luck! I hope it works out well for you. I'm trying something new too at the end of this month- cool touch laser. I'll let you know how it works.

Closed Thread