It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

hiya322000 HB User
2nd treatment with omnilux blue light and levulan

well yesterday was my second treatment with the pdt treatment for my cystic acne. i had the levulan medication on my face for 1 hour and then sat under the blue light for 20 minutes. this time around i definitely feel that something is working.. the 1st treatment i had a little redness and peeling but this time i can feel the treatment working deep in the pores. the nurse said that it isn't till the second treatment that it really starts working. i also had the receptionist put my 2 prodedures thru to insurance (the cost per treatment is $175 and i should have a total of 3 treatments) well my insurance will cover $100 which covers the medicine put on before the light (the levulan) and i pay the $75 for the blue light. not bad at all. anyways, today i woke up and i'm completely red.... like a second degree sunburn.. the nurse said that is a normal reaction and it's that it shows it's working.. i must stay out of any sunlight for 36 hours and i can see why now. anyways, i will update on how my success with this treatment if anyone is interested. thanks

Old 10-26-2004, 02:23 PM   #2

prettybow04 HB User
Re: 2nd treatment with omnilux blue light and levulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiya322000
well yesterday was my second treatment with the pdt treatment for my cystic acne. i had the levulan medication on my face for 1 hour and then sat under the blue light for 20 minutes. this time around i definitely feel that something is working.. the 1st treatment i had a little redness and peeling but this time i can feel the treatment working deep in the pores. the nurse said that it isn't till the second treatment that it really starts working. i also had the receptionist put my 2 prodedures thru to insurance (the cost per treatment is $175 and i should have a total of 3 treatments) well my insurance will cover $100 which covers the medicine put on before the light (the levulan) and i pay the $75 for the blue light. not bad at all. anyways, today i woke up and i'm completely red.... like a second degree sunburn.. the nurse said that is a normal reaction and it's that it shows it's working.. i must stay out of any sunlight for 36 hours and i can see why now. anyways, i will update on how my success with this treatment if anyone is interested. thanks

Hi! I just had blue-light with levulan done yesterday and Im so glad that you posted this cause Im in pain today!!!! My face is like a 2nd degree burn also and its so irritating. I look so bad. I have been getting bluelight treatments already, 4 so far, then I got one red-light treatment which broke me out terribly which led me to getting the levulan this time with my blue. MAN, I hope I look on by Halloween cause I have a party to go to. WHat do you think? I know the redness is supposed to go away in 3-5 days, but then what? I bet there will be peeling and crusting all over so still, makeup wont go on right!!!! Well share your experience with me, Im very interested thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

hiya322000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybow04
Hi! I just had blue-light with levulan done yesterday and Im so glad that you posted this cause Im in pain today!!!! My face is like a 2nd degree burn also and its so irritating. I look so bad. I have been getting bluelight treatments already, 4 so far, then I got one red-light treatment which broke me out terribly which led me to getting the levulan this time with my blue. MAN, I hope I look on by Halloween cause I have a party to go to. WHat do you think? I know the redness is supposed to go away in 3-5 days, but then what? I bet there will be peeling and crusting all over so still, makeup wont go on right!!!! Well share your experience with me, Im very interested thanks

yeah i'm in pain today too.. so much different then the 1st treatment.. at least i know something is going on with the treatment this time around.. my 1st treatment there was little pain and redness so i was worried i was wasting my time. my doctor definitely stressed not to go into the sun for 36 hour ( it will make the healing longer because the sun can make you react negatively with this treatment) and to put hydrocortisone cream for the redness.. i think it will take me at lease a week to recover but it will be worth it. she also suggested not to put any other medications on while recovering.. bp, retin-a, etc.. question for you... what type of acne do you have?? i have what is considered grade 3 cystic acne (just on my chin thou) and was wondering what you have and the success your doctor suggested you may have with the levulan/blue light. my doctor made me feel pretty positive with this treatment so i'm hoping it works.. i have been on everything you can think minus accutane and this was my last hope before taking that final leap to accutane.. hope this works for me.. thanks for responding.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

What is blue light supposed to help? Is it supposed to help you get less acne, or help the marks and scars left over from existing acne? Keep us all posted on how it goes when you get your next one. Thanks

Old 10-27-2004, 01:35 PM   #5

prettybow04 HB User

Quote:
yeah i'm in pain today too.. so much different then the 1st treatment.. at least i know something is going on with the treatment this time around.. my 1st treatment there was little pain and redness so i was worried i was wasting my time. my doctor definitely stressed not to go into the sun for 36 hour ( it will make the healing longer because the sun can make you react negatively with this treatment) and to put hydrocortisone cream for the redness.. i think it will take me at lease a week to recover but it will be worth it. she also suggested not to put any other medications on while recovering.. bp, retin-a, etc.. question for you... what type of acne do you have?? i have what is considered grade 3 cystic acne (just on my chin thou) and was wondering what you have and the success your doctor suggested you may have with the levulan/blue light. my doctor made me feel pretty positive with this treatment so i'm hoping it works.. i have been on everything you can think minus accutane and this was my last hope before taking that final leap to accutane.. hope this works for me.. thanks for responding.

I have moderate cystic acne. For example I have around 10 cysts on my face at any given time- I do not get small acne pimples, only cysts. Anyway, Ive been on accutane 4 times. I actually got off it last in December of last year so since my skin started breaking out again like it always does after accutane, I was hoping that the blue-light treatments would keep my acne at least under control and keep it from being so bad. I bought a package of 8 treatments of blue light with the option of red also. After getting 8 treatments, my skin is supposed to be under control and then Ill only have to get a maitenence treatment once every 6 weeks or so... thats how things are SUPPOSED to work out, and Ill be so greatful if it does.
I asked for redlight on my 4th treatment which caused me to break out very bad so my dr. tried the levulan on me for free to see its effects on me. I pay out of pocket for my treatments, I have no insurance and even if I did, it wouldnt have covered this. My package was $550. SO I hope that it ends up being worth it.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
(female)

hiya322000 HB User

Quote:
I have moderate cystic acne. For example I have around 10 cysts on my face at any given time- I do not get small acne pimples, only cysts. Anyway, Ive been on accutane 4 times. I actually got off it last in December of last year so since my skin started breaking out again like it always does after accutane, I was hoping that the blue-light treatments would keep my acne at least under control and keep it from being so bad. I bought a package of 8 treatments of blue light with the option of red also. After getting 8 treatments, my skin is supposed to be under control and then Ill only have to get a maitenence treatment once every 6 weeks or so... thats how things are SUPPOSED to work out, and Ill be so greatful if it does.
I asked for redlight on my 4th treatment which caused me to break out very bad so my dr. tried the levulan on me for free to see its effects on me. I pay out of pocket for my treatments, I have no insurance and even if I did, it wouldnt have covered this. My package was $550. SO I hope that it ends up being worth it.
sounds like we have the same type of acne. is redlight the same as blue light? i have the omnilux blue light treatment so just was curious. also, how is your skin today?? mine is really red on the chin area and peeling.. looks kinda bad but i will hang in there.. at least i now something is going on.. as far as the price.. i am to have 3 treatments at $175 a pop and maintenance if needed.. luckily my insurance will cover $100 per each treatment so maintenance seems possible.. anyways, thanks for responding.. it's cool to know someone else is going thru the same treatment at the same time.. please keep me posted on your progress.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #7

prettybow04 HB User

Quote:
sounds like we have the same type of acne. is redlight the same as blue light? i have the omnilux blue light treatment so just was curious. also, how is your skin today?? mine is really red on the chin area and peeling.. looks kinda bad but i will hang in there.. at least i now something is going on.. as far as the price.. i am to have 3 treatments at $175 a pop and maintenance if needed.. luckily my insurance will cover $100 per each treatment so maintenance seems possible.. anyways, thanks for responding.. it's cool to know someone else is going thru the same treatment at the same time.. please keep me posted on your progress.

Yea, mine is the omnilux blue light treatment also. The red is supposed to be targeted more towards bad cystic acne, which sounded stronger and is why I asked for it, but its diff than blue cause it breaks you out bad before you clear. Anyway, so do you get the levulan each time with blue? See, my package is just for bluelight, if I want to add levulan, then its $125 each time.
I got levulan on my whole face. My face is less red today but still terrible and feels so tight and icky. I have a halloween party sunday that I hope I can go to, but my skin needs to clear up fast (as far as the redness and peeling goes) or else I wont be able to. Im so mad that I did this now when it may screw up my halloween plans! I didnt think it would be bad when halloween came around, but from the way things are healing, Im not too confident anymore about it.
[ removed ] I dont know anyone else thats getting this done, and it would be nice to have you there to share stuff with since obviously not everyone understands this! Everyone thinks I got my face burnt off! I have only been putting moisturizer on cause I dont know what I could use that wont cause more acne. You said hydrocortosione? I dont know if thats safe for me to use...cause If I use something that breaks me out, its like I did all of this for nothing. *BUT* my face needs something bad so it can heal fast...do you have any idea of what would be ok to use?

Last edited by moderator2; 10-28-2004 at 03:17 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 10-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #8

prettybow04 HB User

HEY! Ive been waiting to hear back from ya. I had asked some questions in one of my other posts to you that I was curious to hear your answers to Also, how is your face today? Mine is still not completley back to normal, but it was satisfactory enough to at least put on makeup and not look like I was in a burn accident! I have lost of peeling. Anyway, hope to hear from you soon! thanks

Old 11-03-2004, 05:50 PM   #9
(female)

hiya322000 HB User
Talking Re: 2nd treatment with omnilux blue light and levulan

Quote:
HEY! Ive been waiting to hear back from ya. I had asked some questions in one of my other posts to you that I was curious to hear your answers to Also, how is your face today? Mine is still not completley back to normal, but it was satisfactory enough to at least put on makeup and not look like I was in a burn accident! I have lost of peeling. Anyway, hope to hear from you soon! thanks

hey prettybow04, sorry it's taken so long to get back, i have been out and just got around to the healthboards.. so as far as my face today, i would say it's about 99% healed.. it's still a little dry ( i went and bought some cetaphil lotion in the green bottle which has sunscreen) and that has helped alot with the reddness. i have a little bit of bumps left but it has healed really well.. i hope it stays this way.. i have my 3rd treatment this coming monday and the true test is how my face will be right before my period which is next week. this is when i break out the worst... so that is the test if this treatment will work... so far alot of my little pimples on my forehead are totally gone and it's like my skin has been renewed in alot of places. my chin is where alot of the damage has been, scars, cysts, etc.. i'm crossing my fingers that this is my cure.. how are you doing?? did the peeling subside?? wb when you can and let me know if you have done your 3rd treatment and how your progress is going. take care

Old 11-04-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
(female)

hiya322000 HB User

bumping up

Old 11-05-2004, 11:32 AM   #11
(female)

hiya322000 HB User

bumping for prettybow

Old 11-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #12

prettybow04 HB User

Hey! You know, I only got the levulan once. You are getting it each time you go, correct? I normally just get blue light. Levulan was just used on me once, to see my results, I got it for free. I actually just got my last blue light treatment yesterday. All my peeling and redness is gone, the areas that were the worst look so pretty and smooth now. My face still has pimples though. I dont know how well the blue light is working for me. I already had 8 treatments. Now Im on maitenence where I wont go back for 6 weeks and just get one treatment every 6 weeks. Supposivly, my face is supposed to get alot better from now till then,and that one treatment every 6 weeks is supposed to be enough. I dont know though. I hope Im not just wasing my $$.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:36 AM   #13

spanishfly HB User
Question Re: 2nd treatment with omnilux blue light and levulan

Just wondering if you can give us an update?
thanks.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #14
(female)

hiya322000 HB User

well i had my third and final treatment yesterday with the levulan and blue light. today my face is on fire. very red and kinda a swollen but i know that it's working deep down. i have to say that so far i'm very happy with the treatment. although it does take about a week for the redness and peeling to subside, i feel the 3 treatments are going to work for my cystic acne. my doctor told me yesterday that she has had alot of success with people with my type of acne and that after 3 treatments, maintenance might need to happen. so there is a possibility i might have to go again in 3 to 8 months for another treatment to keep it up. i do feel that my acne did better this month in terms of getting my period. i usually get 3 to 4 cysts on my chin right before my period, and with a couple days a way from getting it, not 1 cyst. so that is very encouraging. i am glad i took this route before doing the accutane. it was my last option before the accuatane since i was on everything else you can think prescription and store bought. i will continue updating my progress as the weeks go on. i do think it might be an option for you out there that has experience cystic acne but are afraid to go on accutane. i really think it will change my skin.. crossing my fingers!!!!

Old 11-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #15

oneAri HB User

guys keep in mind that any foods containing iodine can actually make your skin problems a triple threat!! check lables. Im telling you....!!!

Closed Thread