It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User
who did and who didn't accutane work for?

I know accutane works differently on all individuals, but I was just curious to know (i'm sure others are as well), who had success with acne and who didn't.

It would be nice if you could list:
type of skin you had (very oily, oily, combo oily and normal, dry, dry and normal combo or extremely dry)

type of acne (cysts, small bumps, mixture of small bumps and cysts, just inflamed pimples, or nodules and cysts)

degree of severity (mild, moderate, mild-moderate mix, moderate-severe, severe)

age you got acne and age you took accutane, along with how long the acne subsided for

and where you had acne (face, face and body, just body)

as well, if you found something that worked amazingly well for you instead of accutane, please share that as well.

thanks!!

Old 10-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User
Re: who did and who didn't accutane work for?

I should note that I was on Accutane twice. The second time was about 6 months after the first time. Now for the questions:

- I had oily skin before the Accutane.

- I have never had a cyst. I had TONS of small bumps all over my face alone with inflamed pimples.

- I would say it was mild-moderate mix.

- I started getting acne when I was 11. The first time I went on Accutane I was 16. I went on it for 5 months and it did help get rid of all the small bumps but I was still getting the inflamed pimples. The second time I went on it I was 17 and after that it was better once again, and now I donít get many pimples but I am dealing with red marks from old acne still.

- I had it on my face, chest and back. After the first time I went on Accutane, it completely cleared my chest and back (there still clear).

- I didnít find anything that worked that well, which is why I went on Accutane. I am currently using bp 10% which is working well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #3

Matt12 HB User

curiosP,

I was also on accutane twice, well im still on my second treatment.
i first started getting acne when i was 17. i was on a bunch if different ant-biotics which worked for a while but my acne would come back once i was done. I finally went on accutane just last year and finished in march 2003, i was only on it for 4 months. all summer i had clear skin with the exception of a few pimples periodically but they went away pretty quick. but in late september (just last month) i started to break out my consistenly and my docter on campus put me back on accutane, ive been on my second treatment for about 5 weeks now and im not getting much better, but it takes awhile (like sometimes more than 3 months to see good improvements), i dont really know what kind of skin i have, i guess it is kinda dry. my acne is moderate with breakouts mostly on my jawline, i didnt have any on my chest or back though. im 22 now and i hope it goes away soon...also thoughout my years of batteling acne i found that the winter months are usually the worst. anyway good luck with it.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
(female)

amb1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
I know accutane works differently on all individuals, but I was just curious to know (i'm sure others are as well), who had success with acne and who didn't.

It would be nice if you could list:
type of skin you had (very oily, oily, combo oily and normal, dry, dry and normal combo or extremely dry)
I have seen my skin go between oily and combination

type of acne (cysts, small bumps, mixture of small bumps and cysts, just inflamed pimples, or nodules and cysts)
Cyst--and big old painful ones at that. and pretty much everything else, too, but I just wanted to be able to go through the day without pain of those cysts.

degree of severity (mild, moderate, mild-moderate mix, moderate-severe, severe) Severe, that's the only way I would have ever taken Accutane.

age you got acne and age you took accutane, along with how long the acne subsided for
[COLOR=DarkRed]Started when I was 15, now I'm 26. Took Accutane when I was 24.[/COLOR]

and where you had acne (face, face and body, just body)
It has gone through stages. [COLOR=DarkRed]Face and body, although the only place that's "severe" is/was the face. The stuff on the body I can handle, but when it's on your face for everyone to see, man that stinks.[/COLOR]

as well, if you found something that worked amazingly well for you instead of accutane, please share that as well.
[COLOR=DarkRed]That's what I have been hoping someone can answer! [/COLOR]

thanks!!

Good luck, curious.

Last edited by amb1; 10-29-2004 at 09:41 AM.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

thanks for replying everyone!

amb 1, how is your acne now? has it returned? and if so, how bad is it.

Man, I wonder if accutane works for anyone the first time around and lasts forever, and for some reason I think this would be harder to achieve for a girl.

Anyways, lets keep this thread alive and keep posting.

thanks

Old 10-31-2004, 06:51 AM   #6

am HB User

On my second course - amazing results first time but breaking out again (not as bad though)

type of skin you had: combo oily and normal

type of acne: imflamed pimples

degree of severity: mild-moderate mix

age you got acne and age you took accutane, along with how long the acne subsided for: acne beginning at age 18n- didn't take Accutane till age 26 - acne subsided for almost 2 years

and where you had acne: face and body

as well, if you found something that worked amazingly well for you instead of accutane, please share that as well: accutane worked best but Azelex was great for maintaing my results for a while and fading red marks.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
(male)

senoflys HB User

What is Azelex? Is it an over the counter and is it a topical? I never used anything after my two courses of accutane and both times the acne came back, but not as severe.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:46 AM   #8

am HB User

Azelex is a topical - it has anti-bacterial properties as well as an exfoliating effect. It also helps fade marks. I started using it after I finished my first course and I loved it. It worked to keep my pores clear. I plan on going back on it once I finish this course of Accutane.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by am
Azelex is a topical - it has anti-bacterial properties as well as an exfoliating effect. It also helps fade marks. I started using it after I finished my first course and I loved it. It worked to keep my pores clear. I plan on going back on it once I finish this course of Accutane.
just a question...if azelex was working what made you go back on the Tane?

Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 PM   #10

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

Well, I have never been on accutane and am now considering it. I have gone through countless antibiotics, i think like 11 or 12, and even a very expensive laser treatment. I have also been on brevoxyl and retin a Micro. Nothing has even made a dent on my acne. It has to be hormonal or stress realted becuase during the summer i was prolly 90% clear in comparison to now....do you think i should go for accutane..

Old 11-01-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
(female)

amb1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousP
thanks for replying everyone!

amb 1, how is your acne now? has it returned? and if so, how bad is it.

Man, I wonder if accutane works for anyone the first time around and lasts forever, and for some reason I think this would be harder to achieve for a girl.

Anyways, lets keep this thread alive and keep posting.

thanks

I was 95% clear for 9 months after taking Accutane.

Now it's back. The big cysts aren't back yet, just a couple small ones on the jawline. But somehow I feel that it's just a matter of time....

Having a down night.....

Old 11-03-2004, 12:50 AM   #12

JoeJoe01 HB User

Hey Amb1 you should just take accutane again, I'm on my third course now. I consider myself an veteran at Accutane. I really think you'll end up taking it again if you want to take care of your acne. Before my second course, I took every prescription available to try to defeat my acne. In the end, it was inevitable that I take Accutane. I was clear for over a year, and now the acne has come back just a little, not even that much. I didnt want to take the chance again, so I immediately got back on Accutane asap. I dont need to tell you how depressing acne can be, and how depressing it is when you try a new prescription and it fails. Your face just gets worse and it really affects your life. Take my advice and just get on Accutane, because I really think in the end, you'll end up taking it again.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:35 AM   #13
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

Accutane calmed my acne down, but caused permanent side effects which will pain me for the rest of my mortal life.

AA
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 11-03-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
(female)

amb1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoe01
Hey Amb1 you should just take accutane again, I'm on my third course now. I consider myself an veteran at Accutane. I really think you'll end up taking it again if you want to take care of your acne. Before my second course, I took every prescription available to try to defeat my acne. In the end, it was inevitable that I take Accutane. I was clear for over a year, and now the acne has come back just a little, not even that much. I didnt want to take the chance again, so I immediately got back on Accutane asap. I dont need to tell you how depressing acne can be, and how depressing it is when you try a new prescription and it fails. Your face just gets worse and it really affects your life. Take my advice and just get on Accutane, because I really think in the end, you'll end up taking it again.

Thanks for your replies.

If you read AA's post you'll see why I am frightened to take it again. I am 26 and looking at the possibility of having kids in the next few years. I might be wrong, but seems as though I would be taking too many chances with a second course. My husband says that I was mentally 'instable' when I was on Accutane, crying lots and being depressed. The long-term effects of this drug bother me to the point that I am wondering if I should have ever taken it in the first place.

I may still go to a new derm and see if there's anything new he can tell me (although I doubt it.)

Had to resort to putting makeup on today just to pump up enough motivation to come into work. I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

accutane avenger,

I tried looking for your post to see what kind of side effects you had, but I couldn't find it, would you mind telling me what happened to you?

Is your acne gone now?
How bad was the acne to begin with?
How many courses did you take?
What serious side effects did you get?

take care and god bless.

Amb1, how bad is the return of your acne that you are actually considering going back on accutane, is nothing else like retin a micro or anything working, have you tried?

Closed Thread