It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

LkK2507 HB User
Who has cystic Ance and what works for you?

Hello, Im 23 and I have I guess Moderate Acne. I get small white heads but the worse are the cystic ones ( I mainly get mine in the T zone and now sometimes around my temples). some come to a head that I can pop and others don't. Ive had them since I was 15 but all through High School it was tolerable, just one here and there. It wasnt until I was about 20 or so that it got worse and I started going to the derm. Ive been on Diferin, other topicals, Antibiotics, Ive used BP and SA that does help but not all the time. Im on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo right now to see if it will help with my extremely oily skin production. Ive been on it a month and it hasnt helped much yet. he says if it doesnt work by 3 mo then it wont. I hear alot on this board about things that help people but no one specifys if they have cystic acne or what. Im interested in this Paula's Choice stuff. Also Yasamin as a different more effective BCP. right now as far as cleaning,toning,exfoliating Im using this Murad stuff that I ordered. It works pretty good sometimes. I can tell it would prolly clear someone with mild acne right up. It just cant hold down my flair ups though. I think IM going to start using BP (benzoyl Peroxde) more again. A couple of years ago I used Clean & Clear %10 BP over the counter and I was clearer then mabe I should go back. It bleaches my clothes though if I get it on them. AHHHH any one feelin me on this cystic acne crap. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
(male)

Zshock HB User
Re: Who has cystic Ance and what works for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkK2507
Hello, Im 23 and I have I guess Moderate Acne. I get small white heads but the worse are the cystic ones ( I mainly get mine in the T zone and now sometimes around my temples). some come to a head that I can pop and others don't. Ive had them since I was 15 but all through High School it was tolerable, just one here and there. It wasnt until I was about 20 or so that it got worse and I started going to the derm. Ive been on Diferin, other topicals, Antibiotics, Ive used BP and SA that does help but not all the time. Im on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo right now to see if it will help with my extremely oily skin production. Ive been on it a month and it hasnt helped much yet. he says if it doesnt work by 3 mo then it wont. I hear alot on this board about things that help people but no one specifys if they have cystic acne or what. Im interested in this Paula's Choice stuff. Also Yasamin as a different more effective BCP. right now as far as cleaning,toning,exfoliating Im using this Murad stuff that I ordered. It works pretty good sometimes. I can tell it would prolly clear someone with mild acne right up. It just cant hold down my flair ups though. I think IM going to start using BP (benzoyl Peroxde) more again. A couple of years ago I used Clean & Clear %10 BP over the counter and I was clearer then mabe I should go back. It bleaches my clothes though if I get it on them. AHHHH any one feelin me on this cystic acne crap. Any suggestions?
Reading through your post sounds like the exact same thing I went through and still am going through. I have super super oily skin and I have super nasty cystic acne. It is horrible...I get these cysts on my face, back, neck, chest. Not only that but they are extremely painful. All I have to do is move around a little and the cysts light up with pain all over. My back is scarred beyond belief, as well as my chest and face to a lesser degree.

Anyways I used to get all sorts of topicals from the derm, but because of my sensitive skin they either dried me out way too much or caused rashes on my skin...I was pretty limited to what I could put on topically. I was also on just about every oral medication they have for acne. Minocycline, Doxycycline, tetracycline, and too many others to remember. Did they work? Yes, for a little while then they quit working.

I can honestly say that the only thing that has worked for my cystic acne so far is accutane. Now I know there are a few horror stories out there on this drug, but I'll bet you could find a horror story on just about anything...childrens toys even. Anyway I feel pretty safe on Accutane...the doctor tests my blood every three weeks and I got a gastrointerologist who is also watching my liver for anything. So I got a doctor, a gastrointerologist, and a dermatologist who are all watching me while on accutane. Within a month of accutane treatment I am noticing a dramatic decrease in the number of cysts I have. I get maybe 1-2 as opposed to the 10-15 I used to have and when I do get the cysts they aren't painful and they go away in about a week instead of taking 3-4 weeks.

This accutane stuff is amazing if you have severe cystic acne like I have. It's the only thing that has worked so far and if you've tried everything else maybe you should start looking into accutane, especially if nothing else seems to work.

Last edited by Zshock; 11-18-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

LkK2507 HB User

Thanks for the reply, I dont think I have as worse a case of cyctic acne as you do. I only have a few scars (indentations) on my forhead they arent bad at all and Im sure I caused them by picking. I alway get the dark spots and sometimes it takes months for them to go away but they do. wearing makeup is a life saver. I use of course acne medicated makeup. Anyway. Im sure if I was in your situation I would consider Accutane Ive even thought if it in my case but Ive heard way more bad than good. you hear bad things about just about everything this is true but when the bad out weights the good thats when my red flag goes up. there is a Guy I know at my church who took it and it worked wonders for him. I just think its a last resort thing and Im not to that point and I pray that I dont. antibiotics didnt work for me either. I think your body just gets amune to them. Called my gyno this afternoon to ask them if it is normal or heard of to get worse before better when using Birth Control pills for ance. she said yeah and to just stick it out. Im just going to have to keep strategically trying this and find the reg that maintains my ance to atleast where its not that damaging.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:15 AM   #4

HalloweenKitty HB User

Accutane worked for me also. Even though my case may not have been as severe as some folks, the cystic acne I did have was persistent and painful. Hard reddish-purple bumps that would flare up at certain times of the month (esp. during the menstrual time); I've tried all oral, topical, etc., and Accutane helped me tremendously. I went on 2 courses of it and would have considered going on a 3rd if need be.

Your derm can find a dosage that's appropriate for you; you don't have to be, as some people say, 'pizza-like' in order to get treatment.

Whenever I see someone who has bad skin, I feel so bad for them b/c I know what they're going thru and that there is help available. No one should dread going out in public b/c of acne; please consider Accutane; it was a last-resort for me, but it sure helped; good luck

Old 11-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

I had bad cystic acne like yours. My hair would gush oil. Antibiotics such as minocycline did not work. Benzoyl peroxide and retinol acid applied to the skin surface cannot dislodge a dead skin blockage deep below the skin surface. Scubbing may be good for a waxy kitchen floor but not for a face. Its amazing how many myths are connected with acne treatment.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #6

tweedy HB User

I also had very oily skin and moderate cystic acne. I tried every kind of antibiotic out there with not much improvement. Ortho-cyclen worked really well for a while, but did not improve oilyness. I have been on Spiro now for about 6 months and it has worked extremely well. My skin is not oily at all anymore, and I haven't had a breakout for about 4 months. My doc says it is a very safe drug, and the only side effect that I have had is having to pee very frequently. (Spiro is a diurectic). I would recommend that anyone try this drug before attempting to take Accutane, which can be very dangerous.
I hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2004, 05:39 AM   #7
(female)

Katrina HB User

I have suffered from cystic acne since I hit puberty and it had been really bad for the past 2 years (I would have at least 10 on my face at one time). Two weeks ago, I just switched my bcpills from Ortho to Yasmin. In conjunction, I continued my differin and duac treatments. I have never had such clear skin since I was about 12 years old! I think the Yasmin made a huge difference. I hope it is not just a fluke and stays with me! Good luck to you, I think I am evidence that there is an answer out there, it just takes a while to find the right one for everyone!

Closed Thread