It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 11:04 PM   #1

kittikat HB User
Ortho Tri-Cycline or Ortho Tri-Cycline Lo?

I have read posts that say that Ortho Tri-Cycline Lo caused increased acne, but that Ortho Tri-Cycline did not. What is the difference between the two pills. I am currently taking Ortho Tri-Cycline (not the Lo). Is this pill good for acne?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
(female)

sammy726 HB User
Re: Ortho Tri-Cycline or Ortho Tri-Cycline Lo?

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has a lower dose of hormones. I would definitely stick with the regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I'm on my 6th month and my skin has really improved. The had some bad breakouts the first 3-4 months, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I was on the Lo for awhile last year and never saw any improvement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

I am on Ortho Tri-cyclen for acne. It worked for a few years really well! But now it has stopped working and I am breaking out and getting cysts again :-(

Old 11-22-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
(female)

LkK2507 HB User

Im on Ortho Tri Cyclen LO and It has been really roller Coastery the 1st month, I just started the new cycle day before yesterday. One thing I notice is my zits are coming to a head so I can pop them sooner. I dont know if its from the BC or this new face wash and stuff Im using. It seemed to make my back and Chest break out right before my period and that hasnt happened in a long time. Im going to wait it out to see if it helps my gyno said we will try a different one if this one doesnt work. Any one have any good luck with LO??

Daisy... few questions.. I have cysts too. Did they go away for those few years quite a bit? do you have really oily skin? How bad is your cyst and acne?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

mandersBC HB User

I just finished my second month of Ortho Tricyclen. It seems to be better with acne than the "Lo" version - which was the previous pill I was on for over a year. I hope you have luck with it!

Old 11-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
Inactive

PAmermaids HB User

I was on Yasmin and just switched to Ortho Tricyclen this month. Does anyone know what makes birth control pills eventually lose effectiveness on fighting acne??

Old 11-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkK2507
Im on Ortho Tri Cyclen LO and It has been really roller Coastery the 1st month, I just started the new cycle day before yesterday. One thing I notice is my zits are coming to a head so I can pop them sooner. I dont know if its from the BC or this new face wash and stuff Im using. It seemed to make my back and Chest break out right before my period and that hasnt happened in a long time. Im going to wait it out to see if it helps my gyno said we will try a different one if this one doesnt work. Any one have any good luck with LO??

Daisy... few questions.. I have cysts too. Did they go away for those few years quite a bit? do you have really oily skin? How bad is your cyst and acne?

Thanks
They went away for about 4 years. I only got one cyst every six months or so for those 4 years. I also have little bump-pimple things on my forehead and those went away too. But now, sadly, everything has come back. I don't have very oily skin. I use Oil of Olay oil-free moisturizer every day. My cyst acne is pretty bad, in my opinion. I get about 4 a month now. They are on my chin area 99.9% of the time. I am 26 years old, by the way. I am going to the dermatologist next month to see what else I can do now that the Ortho stopped working. I have been on Retin-A (made my face wayyyy too red and didn't work as well as the Ortho) and also Differin (it didn't work barely at all, but I still use it as spot treament on my cysts and I think it helps them go away quicker). I also used some stuff on a pad, kinda like an alcohol pad the nurses wipes you arm with before a shot. That stuff didn't work at all!!

Old 11-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
(female)

Ada232 HB User

I just started using Otrho Tri-Cyclen about two weeks ago and I wake up with about 5 new pimples everyday. Is this my "initial breakout" and how long will the break out last for? For those who use Ortho Tri-Cyclen, how long did it take unitl you saw an improvement in your skin? And it makes my boobs hurt, but they seem bigger. Does this happen to anyone else?

Closed Thread