It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #1

ClearlyUnclear HB User
Just got put on RETIN-a

Any suggestions, comments, or experience with it? I am actually nervous about it as I have heard many NOT so good comments. I was on doxy before and it wore off and now my Derm feels that Antiobiotics are no longer an option. She is worrying about my liver. So anyhow, Retin-a, Tell me some experiences you guys may have or heard about it.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #2

Valley Girl HB User
Re: Just got put on RETIN-a

Hi Clearly Unclear,

I do not know what strength Retin-A you were prescribed or the form. This information would be very helpful, but here is information that I posted for Blabla about a week ago on how to correctly use Retin-A Cream 0.025%. Please read and let me know if you have questions or need more advice.

Now this is how you need to use the medication successfully. You will need some supplies: a cleanser, a moisturizer with sunscreen, a moisturizer without sunscreen, and an AHA or BHA lotion. While you are on Retin-A DO NOT use any scrubs, toners. or masks. This is ruin your skin. Now I will give you my recommendations for which particular brands you should get.

Cleansers: Dove Sensitive Skin Bar or Dove Foaming Cleanser, Cetaphil Bar or Forming Cleanser (not the crap that does not foam), Serious Skin Glycolic Cleanser, Purpose Bar or Cleansing Gel, Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

Moisturizer with Sunscreen (daytime): Purpose Lotion SPF 15, Paula's Choice Essential Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 15, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15

Moisturizer WITHOUT Sunscreen (evening): Pure Aloe Vera Gel, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, Paula's Choice Completely Emollient Moisturizer

Alpha Hydroxy Lotion: Aplha Hydrox, Reviva 5% Glycolic Acid Cream or Gel

Beta Hydroxy Lotion: Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Acid Lotion

AM ROUTINE
First, wash your hands with your cleanser. Rinse your hands with water. Now what you will do is wash your face with your cleanser. Always wash with lukewarm or warm water NEVER COLD OR HOT. Rinse your face until all cleanser is removed. Now you will let your face air dry. Do not dry your face with a towel. It will take about 5-10 minutes for your face to airday.

Once you face is dry you will put on your moisturizer with sunscreen. Let the moisturizer absorb into your skin. Now you will apply your AHA or BHA treatment. You are done.

PM ROUTINE
First, wash your hands with your cleanser. Rinse your hands with water. Now what you will do is wash your face with your cleanser. Always wash with lukewarm or warm water NEVER COLD OR HOT. Rinse your face until all cleanser is removed. Now you will let your face air dry. Do not dry your face with a towel. It will take about 5-10 minutes for your skin to airdry.

Once your face is completely dry you will put on your moisturizer without the sunscreen. Let the moisturizer absorb into your skin. Now every OTHER evening you will apply the Retin-A. On the night's that you do not apply the Retin-A you will apply your moisturizer then your AHA or BHA lotion.

Do this faithfully for 3-4 months and your skin will be awesome. This is the exact routine I used to correct the mess that the antibiotics made of my skin. Now I don't even use the Retin-A anymore. My skin glows and radiates for the first time in two years. Last week, I got my eyebrows done. I went to this new salon my friend told me about where they get rid of your facial hair with this Indian technique called threading. Anyway, the lady there who did my eyebrows said that I have one of the most beautiful complexions that she has ever seen. Blabla, I almost cried!!! Now I get remarks like this all the time from complete strangers. Follow my rountine. Keep me posted about your results so I can help you along the way. I am so determined to help as many people as I can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2004, 03:42 PM   #3

ClearlyUnclear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Girl
Hi Clearly Unclear,

I do not know what strength Retin-A you were prescribed or the form. This information would be very helpful, but here is information that I posted for Blabla about a week ago on how to correctly use Retin-A Cream 0.025%. Please read and let me know if you have questions or need more advice.

Now this is how you need to use the medication successfully. You will need some supplies: a cleanser, a moisturizer with sunscreen, a moisturizer without sunscreen, and an AHA or BHA lotion. While you are on Retin-A DO NOT use any scrubs, toners. or masks. This is ruin your skin. Now I will give you my recommendations for which particular brands you should get.

Cleansers: Dove Sensitive Skin Bar or Dove Foaming Cleanser, Cetaphil Bar or Forming Cleanser (not the crap that does not foam), Serious Skin Glycolic Cleanser, Purpose Bar or Cleansing Gel, Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash

Moisturizer with Sunscreen (daytime): Purpose Lotion SPF 15, Paula's Choice Essential Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 15, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15

Moisturizer WITHOUT Sunscreen (evening): Pure Aloe Vera Gel, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, Paula's Choice Completely Emollient Moisturizer

Alpha Hydroxy Lotion: Aplha Hydrox, Reviva 5% Glycolic Acid Cream or Gel

Beta Hydroxy Lotion: Paula's Choice 1% Beta Hydroxy Acid Lotion

AM ROUTINE
First, wash your hands with your cleanser. Rinse your hands with water. Now what you will do is wash your face with your cleanser. Always wash with lukewarm or warm water NEVER COLD OR HOT. Rinse your face until all cleanser is removed. Now you will let your face air dry. Do not dry your face with a towel. It will take about 5-10 minutes for your face to airday.

Once you face is dry you will put on your moisturizer with sunscreen. Let the moisturizer absorb into your skin. Now you will apply your AHA or BHA treatment. You are done.

PM ROUTINE
First, wash your hands with your cleanser. Rinse your hands with water. Now what you will do is wash your face with your cleanser. Always wash with lukewarm or warm water NEVER COLD OR HOT. Rinse your face until all cleanser is removed. Now you will let your face air dry. Do not dry your face with a towel. It will take about 5-10 minutes for your skin to airdry.

Once your face is completely dry you will put on your moisturizer without the sunscreen. Let the moisturizer absorb into your skin. Now every OTHER evening you will apply the Retin-A. On the night's that you do not apply the Retin-A you will apply your moisturizer then your AHA or BHA lotion.

Do this faithfully for 3-4 months and your skin will be awesome. This is the exact routine I used to correct the mess that the antibiotics made of my skin. Now I don't even use the Retin-A anymore. My skin glows and radiates for the first time in two years. Last week, I got my eyebrows done. I went to this new salon my friend told me about where they get rid of your facial hair with this Indian technique called threading. Anyway, the lady there who did my eyebrows said that I have one of the most beautiful complexions that she has ever seen. Blabla, I almost cried!!! Now I get remarks like this all the time from complete strangers. Follow my rountine. Keep me posted about your results so I can help you along the way. I am so determined to help as many people as I can.

Thanks for the response! You have given me a bit of hope about retin a as all I read has been negative. Anyhow, I appear to have the Tretinoin 0.1% cream generic for retin a. I was wondering if you had suggestions about how to apply the cream. My derm told me to apply to the pimples only. Is this correct? Also, I am dead scared to put to much that I believe I have been putting to little. Its been 2 days, but still, i have used very little. I use the neutrogena face mosturizer with spf 15, and it says multi vitamin with alpha hydroxy. Do i still need that alpha hydrxy u mentioned? The soap i use is Basics Sensitive skin bar which i like. What do u think about what I use? Thanks again, valley girl!

Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
(male)

xghostsniperx HB User

I would definitely NOT do what your derm. said. It says specifically on the site that you are supposed to appl it to your WHOLE face, not just spot treatment.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
(male)

Blitzjade HB User

Don't use Salicylic Acid (BHA) with Retin A. There should be warnings in the information packet that came with the medication stating that you should not use it due to possible interactions.

Otherwise, Im just about on the 3rd week of treatment with Retin A and I have seen quite an improvement so far! Yes, the inital breakout sucks but seeing blackheads just pop out of my face is a great sight to behold.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #6

IHATEACNE1111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzjade
Don't use Salicylic Acid (BHA) with Retin A. There should be warnings in the information packet that came with the medication stating that you should not use it due to possible interactions.

Otherwise, Im just about on the 3rd week of treatment with Retin A and I have seen quite an improvement so far! Yes, the inital breakout sucks but seeing blackheads just pop out of my face is a great sight to behold.
Hmmm i havent read that, I use tea tree wash which has salycal acid in it...and i dont have any adverse reactions....Also it says not to use bp wwhen on it, but my derm has me on that anyway...whatever, not really working for me i dont think. I go on accutane next weeek. hope your results are better....for the record, stopped my oiliness, but i have been on it for 2 1/2 months and peeled only once or twice from not enough mopisturizer

Old 11-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #7

Valley Girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzjade

Hi Blitzjade,

I am not suggesting that you use BHAs at the same time that you apply Retin-A on your face. You use one product at a time!!!!!

Old 11-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #8

Valley Girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearlyUnclear
Thanks for the response! You have given me a bit of hope about retin a as all I read has been negative. Anyhow, I appear to have the Tretinoin 0.1% cream generic for retin a. I was wondering if you had suggestions about how to apply the cream. My derm told me to apply to the pimples only. Is this correct? Also, I am dead scared to put to much that I believe I have been putting to little. Its been 2 days, but still, i have used very little. I use the neutrogena face mosturizer with spf 15, and it says multi vitamin with alpha hydroxy. Do i still need that alpha hydrxy u mentioned? The soap i use is Basics Sensitive skin bar which i like. What do u think about what I use? Thanks again, valley girl!
Hi Clearly Unclear,

I'm glad I could help. The generic Tretinoin 0.1% cream is very potent. I would suggest a less potent formulation of 0.01% - 0.05%. Also, Retin-A, and any other acne medication for that matter, must by applied to the WHOLE face to yield optimum results. Sorry, but your derm's advice is very bad.

In regards to your products, if you want to achieve the results I am speaking of you should probably only use that Neutrogena Moisturizer you have in the morning/daytime. At night you will need a moisturizer without sunscreen and an AHA or BHA lotion for the night's that you are not applying the Retin-A. Please read my instructions and follow them to the letter. I have used Retin-A during three separate episodes in my life. I used it twice correctly and once incorrectly so I know what I am taking about.

When I was about 15-16 I went to a derm at UCLA who introduced me to the "method". After evaluating my skin he told me that I needed Retin-A 0.025% and then he proceeded to give me exact instructions on how to use the medication correctly. His instructions were very similar to the method I have posted. I have modified it slightly but the basic principles are the same. On his method, I was clear and radiant in 3-4 months and did not deal with acne again until I was 22 years old.

At 22 years of age a very stressful career in PR caused my skin to freak out. I went to a new derm who prescrided Retin-A Micro 0.1%. I was on it for close to 2 years and achieved horrible results. My skin was always raw, peeling, red (and I'm African American)!!!!! He kept telling me that my skin would get used to it. I told him I never had any problems whatsoever with Retin-A 0.025%. He said that my skin was different now and we needed a new course of therapy. When he started to suggest that we try accutane for my acne. I walked out the door and never went back.

Then I went to 2 other derms over the course of a two year period who prescrided all kinds of antibiotics (pills and topical stuff). I was on an endless rollercoaster ride of clear, unclear, clear, unclear. The antibiotics were not working and my derms were not listening to my plea to be prescribed Retin-A 0.025%!!!!! So you know what I decided. At 26 years of age I decided to go back to the old routine that I was introduced to as a teen. I decided to make an appointment with an entirely new derm and asked specifically for Retin-A 0.025%. I called around to see who was willing to do this. After 3 calls I found a derm who was. After obtaining the prescription, I used Retin-A the way I had as a teen and got 99% clear in 7 months. Use my method. It works!!!

Closed Thread