It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
(male)

tower0509 HB User
Question Fabric Softeners and Acne

Is it true that scented degergent and fabric softeners can irritate the skin and make you break out worse? I have heard this several times and am starting to believe it.

I have acne pretty bad on my chest, back, and neck. Basically everywhere my shirt touches. I checked the scent level on my fabric softeners and noticed that it was really high, as well as the detergent. So I told my mom about it and she said when i was young she had to use non scented detergent because i would get rashes on my skin b/c it was really sensitive. so she bought some unscented stuff which i hope helps me out.

So i just wanted to know if what i heard was true about detergent and softeners.

Old 11-26-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

jazmella HB User
Re: Fabric Softeners and Acne

I don't even use fabric softener anymore...I don't see a use for it...My clothes feel fine without it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
(male)

tower0509 HB User

Apparently, ya'll might not have understood my question, which was, can scented fabric softeners and detergent cause or irritate acne?? So??

Old 11-27-2004, 01:29 AM   #4

surenitynow HB User

i would have to say its very likely that they can irritate acne.. its common to find that fragrances can have bad effects on skin(which is why its also good to get fragrance free facial cleansers and lotion)... i would get fragrance free soaps if i was you, and see if you start to clear up..i never use fabric softner and am going to convince my household to get fragrance free detergent to be on the safe side... every time i dry my face with a towell i always wonder if its going to do something bad to my skin..

Old 11-27-2004, 01:37 AM   #5

Valley Girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surenitynow
i would have to say its very likely that they can irritate acne.. its common to find that fragrances can have bad effects on skin(which is why its also good to get fragrance free facial cleansers and lotion)... i would get fragrance free soaps if i was you, and see if you start to clear up..i never use fabric softner and am going to convince my household to get fragrance free detergent to be on the safe side... every time i dry my face with a towell i always wonder if its going to do something bad to my skin..
Yup. That's why I recommend air drying one's face. People do not realize it but those who suffer from acne tend to also have very sensitive skin. That is why harsh treatment of acne-prone skin is a very bad idea. Be very gentle with your skin. Avoid products with fragrance, artificial colors, etc.

Old 11-27-2004, 04:55 AM   #6

shisimagum HB User

brand of detergent are fragance free? where can i get it?

Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

I think there are several popular brands out there that just say "Free" on them-meaning free of dyes and fragrances. I think I just suggested a while back maybe using those detergents for baby clothes b/c they say those are really gentle. Dreft and Ivory Snow are two I know of for the baby clothes. They are a little bit more expensive, but it might be worth checking out.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
(female)

Leajer HB User

I think acne causes are different for different people. I do believe that chemicals used to dye and scent laundry detergent (that are subsequently deposited and somewhat linger on fabric) can irritate sensitive skin, and if you're acne prone, irritated skin means more acne.
In terms of fabric softener, even if a person is not sensitive to fragrances, fabric softeners contain oil soluble ingredients...so as not to rinse off, and to coat the fabric, ensuring softness and protection from static electricity, and provide lasting scent. Those ingredients are considered potential pore cloggers. Tha's why I've stopped using fabric softener.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #9
(female)

Benchster HB User

I suffered acne right into my fourties. One day, I tried washing my towels with just the detergent and not the conditioner. I also do an extra rinse. I also applied the same wash method to my bed linen and anything else that came into contact with my irritated face. Almost within that week, there was a dramatic improvement, and now I only suffer from the odd spot at certain times. I won't go anywhere now without taking my own towels.

Reply Reply