It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #1

ClearlyUnclear HB User
Retin A for Body Acne?

Ok, first off, let me just say the hell with RETIN a on ur face. The **** is way tooo harsh, and i had like 5 pimples only, and it has left me with a red face and nasty skin. I only used it for a week too. Retin a is horrible for the face. However, i was thinking, the skin on the back is much tougher and can handle more power. My derm mentioned to me that I could use retin a on my back. What do u guys think? Might as well i figure, since i paid for the retin a might as well use it since im never using it on my face again. Thanks for the input

Old 11-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #2

Valley Girl HB User
Re: Retin A for Body Acne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearlyUnclear
Ok, first off, let me just say the hell with RETIN a on ur face. The **** is way tooo harsh, and i had like 5 pimples only, and it has left me with a red face and nasty skin. I only used it for a week too. Retin a is horrible for the face. However, i was thinking, the skin on the back is much tougher and can handle more power. My derm mentioned to me that I could use retin a on my back. What do u guys think? Might as well i figure, since i paid for the retin a might as well use it since im never using it on my face again. Thanks for the input
Hi there,

Were you the one who was using the Retin-A 0.1% formulation? This is WAY TOO STRONG for your face. That's why you had problems. I don't recommend this strength for your face. It sucks big time. I know because I used this strength for about a two year period and had nothing but red, raw, and peeling skin. You need to use Retin-A in the strengths between 0.01% - 0.05% to have good results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #3

ClearlyUnclear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Girl
Hi there,

Were you the one who was using the Retin-A 0.1% formulation? This is WAY TOO STRONG for your face. That's why you had problems. I don't recommend this strength for your face. It sucks big time. I know because I used this strength for about a two year period and had nothing but red, raw, and peeling skin. You need to use Retin-A in the strengths between 0.01% - 0.05% to have good results.

Ok, how about for backacne? I guess the stronger stuff would be good right?

And what kind of derm would prescribe the strong stuff for a persons face? Is my Derm insane??

Old 11-29-2004, 02:16 AM   #4

Valley Girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearlyUnclear
Ok, how about for backacne? I guess the stronger stuff would be good right?

And what kind of derm would prescribe the strong stuff for a persons face? Is my Derm insane??
Hi Clearly Unclear,

It all depends on the type of skin you have. You should do a patch test. Apply a very little amount to the affected area. Monitor it closely for two-three days and see if there is an adverse reaction. If it seems to be alright then continue using it but VERY CAREFULLY.

In regards to your derm, too many doctors really are not looking out for their patient's best interest. They are just looking out for their pocketbooks. That is why we need to conduct intense research on our specific conditions so we can point our doctors and health care providers in the right direction.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:24 AM   #5

kittikat HB User

I use Retin-A Micro 0.04% on my face every other night. Initially, my face was a bit dry. However, I applied it last night and my face was not overly dry or flaky this morning. So I think I am getting used to it. But only apply it every other night. I noticed when I tried to apply it every night, but face would get really dry. Talk to your derm about getting a lower dosage, I think it might work for you. As I say, "less is more".

Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #6

Valley Girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittikat
I use Retin-A Micro 0.04% on my face every other night. Initially, my face was a bit dry. However, I applied it last night and my face was not overly dry or flaky this morning. So I think I am getting used to it. But only apply it every other night. I noticed when I tried to apply it every night, but face would get really dry. Talk to your derm about getting a lower dosage, I think it might work for you. As I say, "less is more".
Right on, Kittikat!!!

I also use the expression "less is more" when it comes to using Retin-A or Retin-A Micro. Retin-A is one is the best treatments you can use for your skin whether you are dealing acne, wrinkles, sun damage, hyperpigmentation, stretch marks, etc. People who complain about Retin-A and Retin-A Micro are SIMPLY NOT USING IT CORRECTLY!!! Read my posts in the thread "Antibiotics and other questions to learn how to use Retin-A successfully.

Kittikat, the strength you are using is a good one and your method of using it every other night is how you should be doing it. I hope you are getting good results. I know that Retin-A helped me a tremendous deal. I am now off the medication, and I rely on a prescription free acne control skincare routine. Good luck with everything. Let me know if you ever have any Retin-A questions.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:29 PM   #7

kittikat HB User

Valley Girl,

How long does it usually take for the Retin-A to work? I have been using it for close to 3 weeks. I have seen some improvement. Thanks for the reply. I found it encouraging.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
(female)

LkK2507 HB User

does it work for cystic acne? I HOPE!! what kind of acne to you have Valley and how old are you (if you dont mind me asking)? I liked to here your comment in the other thread about your dad and bro being a doc and not realizing how not good for you antibiotics are. I feel the same way and all my current derm wants to do it put me on them.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Oh yeah there's generally at least a 1 - 2 week skin adjustment period when using RetinA. Yet once you get over that, it's like you are putting on a normal moisturizer on your face (if using the cream). I remember that there were times that I would not put it on at night and it was OK, becaue my skin kept healing. Yup, it's great stuff, never got me 100% clear, but I also had body acne too and to me it was something that was too costly to use daily their.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
(female)

Caramelita HB User

I've never had any problems with Retin-A. I started using it when I was 9, and when the micro came out I started using the .01% with no problems. It's worked very well on my back, chest, and face.

Closed Thread