It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

annafcolbrie HB User
Accutane - not for me

I posted yesterday under "starting accutane - second thoughts" and just wanted to let you know my decision. My husband and I spent hours last night searching for information on the internet. I know that a lot of the stuff out there on accutane is controversial but I'm worried.
If I understand correctly not even Roche ( the maker of accutane ) can explain exactly how or rather why accutane works the way it does. Ok we now that it stops oil production etc but how does that happen? The fact that vitamin A is stored in fat and is toxic in high doses scares me. Somewhere ,last night, I read that accutane has been linked to birth defects even long after treatment ended and that has been one of my worst fears because I do want to try for another child in about a year or so. I know Roche says that the drug clears your system in about 2 weeks so conceiving a month after treatment is safe. But considering vitamin A is stored in fat ( and accutane is basically syntethic vit A, right ? ) could it not be very possible that it could cause birth defects and other problems even much later after treatment.
The recent study on accutane's effect on the brain also scares me. That the brain may be ( or is ) affected ( temporarily or permanently ) makes sence to me considering the amount of fat in the brain. The study also warrants warnings of depression and suicide. I have a hard time believing that the warnings of depression is complete nonsense so this is a big step in finding the link.
I could continue my arguements on accutane .
I'm not saying that accutane should be banned or anything like that. I understand that it's a powerful drug and that it often have great effects for people. I just feel that it is not right for me at this time. I'm gonna try diet changes and other things I haven't tried yet. If I still have acne after I'm done having kids and I feel that it is my last resort I may try it.
I wish all you accutane users here the best!

Anna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Inactive

Crapple67 HB User
Re: Accutane - not for me

Accutane has been the best for me im near day 100 and pretty clear. Accutane will shrink your sebacious glands which causes a decrease in oil production. What accutane does is buy you time until your body naturally grows out of it. From my understanding if you are destined to have acne all you life accutane will only be a temp fix. Temperary being 6months, a year or more. My only side effects are chapped lips and dry skin. Before accutane my face was horribly broken out with cysts and caked in oil. Accutane is not nearly as harmfull as people are saying. People who havent tried it are welcome to fear what they don't understand but should not discourage others seeking a better life.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
(female)

annafcolbrie HB User

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, sorry if it sounded that way.
I realize that many people have used accutane with only minor side effects and the numbers on your odds for serious side effects may be very small. I haven't seen any numbers though and I don't know if there's been any studies done on this. When reading Roche's info regarding side effects it only states, "common" as in the minor side effects, "rare", "very rare" etc. What does that mean? When reading about risks of bc-pills for example it says 1 out of so many women develop blood clots etc etc.
Have any studies been done following accutane users long term...I mean years? Have any studies been done on it's safety? I'm not saying there hasn't I'm just asking cause I haven't read about any. I would like to read more about it.
In the end I was only saying that I changed my mind about going on accutane for the reasons I posted before. And maybe I'm worrying to much. Maybe my derm (and most other derm's out there )are right when they say it's a very safe drug. I guess for me the risks outweigh the benefits at this point.

Also, when I questioned how accutane works I meant that we know that it shrinks your sebacious glands but do we know why this happens?

I do unfortunately believe that I'm destined to live with acne for the rest of my life. Based on the fact that I'm 25 and have suffered for 13 years. So maybe accutane would not work for me anyway. And you know what's strange, I have reached a point in my life where I feel like I can live with it. It doesn't hinder me the way it used to in living my life.

Anna

Old 12-01-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

LkK2507 HB User

There are Bad things about it and Risks and thats all there is to it she is right. I dont nec think it should be banned either but.. it should be a LAST resort.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

anna,

Thank you for being one of those educating yourself on the affects of Accutane before deciding on whether or not to take it. I sincerely mean that.

Lkk2507,

You are right-there are bad things about this drug, and it should be a last resort (see my huge post on the other thread about damage done. I responded to you.) I don't know why I've been on this "defend Accutane" kick. I guess b/c it's been coming up so much lately. Sorry to vent.

Y'all take care!!!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #6

jabbathegut HB User

I have come to the same conclusion recently as well. After research, testimonials, journals and possible side effects, I have also decided not to take accutane. I would have been taking it mostly for the body acne, which I have read it clears about 90% of body acne. I would say that Im pretty clear, most red spots right now thanks to diet, B5 and herbs.

I really hope you get clear without the accutane and I wish you luck.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
Inactive

Mr.Bojangless HB User

I agree fully that accutane should be a 'last resort' kind of thing, and that you should really think about it before taking the drug, but for me getting rid of acne FAR outweighed the risks.

Acne to me is a disease, and a really bad one at that. A lot of people say "its just acne" or whatever, but they don't know. Only people with persistant acne knows whats its like to never stop thinking about your face, never being able to have any self confidence---for awhile i couldnt even look people in the eyes! I mean, i could hardly look at myself in the mirror. Thats not living, thats hiding. I still have some self esteem issues but Im getting a LOT better, as I get clearer. I am a high school student, which of course means your social life takes priority over everything.

Anyway, ill get to the point. Sure, acne doesnt affect your physical health much, but mentally, its a severe illness. I'd take some liver problems over acne any day.

Closed Thread