It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

desertgirl HB User
Last Accutane Pill

I took my last accutane pill last night! I'm so excited to finally (hopefully) get rid of this ugly, itchy, eczema and I'm so glad that I won't have to be tied to my chapstick 24/7 anymore. Oh... and I'll be glad when my eyes aren't so dang dry anymore too.

I'm also incredibly worried about breaking out. I've gotten so used to not hating what I see in the mirror and I'm afraid the bumps, blemishes, and blackheads will come back. I'm going to try to take such good care of my skin-maybe that will help prolong the Accutane's effects.

I just wanted to let you all know that I'll keep you posted on my after-accutane progress. Hopefully things will work out and this will be my answer to having clear skin for life. Good luck to everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2004, 11:54 PM   #2

soulman HB User
Re: Last Accutane Pill

Hello and Congrats....

Can you elaborate more on your ezcema.

I quit oratane 4 weeks in because of itchy skin on my neck.

My skin was good for a while but now......what can I say....

OIL = BLEMISH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Desertgirl,

Congrats on finishing accutane. Like you, I worried about breaking out after treatment was finished. My face has been clear since but I have a few small breakouts on my forehead (which, by the way, is really strange since I never broke out there before accutane) but I think it has something to do with the fact that I decided to cut bangs again (haven't had them for about 5 or 6 years). The only facial products I use right now are from the B-Activ line of Environ products. It's very gentle and doesn't irritate my skin or dry it out. I'm making sure to stay away from BP because that was too harsh and I think contributed a lot to my breaking out pre-accutane. I use hardly any make up now and I love it. I hope you have great skin for years to come!

Old 12-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

desertgirl HB User

Hey Soulman...my eczema is really pretty gross. I get so dry that my skin actually has ended up breaking and cracking in spots and I'm left with patches of little scabs all over my arms. (Told you it was gross.) Honestly, I don't scratch at it (so that's not where the scabs come from), because I know I'll break the skin. I just apply lotion like crazy. I'm so grateful to have gone through Accutane during the time when I mostly wear long sleeves. If I'd done this in the summertime, I would have been so bummed to show my arms. The eczema is especially bad on my upper arms, right above my elbows. My lower forarms and the backs of my hands. My derm gave me a tube of super strength cortisone cream that that worked wonderfully... until I ran out. Since it was $40 (after insurance!) and I only had a month of treatment left, I decided to just wait it out and just use tons of lotion (poor college kid!). I may get the cream refilled now that I'm off the medicine. Unlike many people, the skin on my neck really never got all that itchy or red. My scalp was a little itchy in months 1 and 2, but that was it. I hope you find something that works for you... oil definately contributes to acne, but getting rid of the oil can be a pain in the neck (literally) sometimes.

Boston Girl- thanks for you encouragement. I'm so glad that your skin has not broken out much since you have finished your treatment. How long has it been? I think it may be a month or two, but I'm not sure. I love not having to wear makeup too! Isn't it nice to put on makeup when you want to and not because you HAVE to in order to cover up spots or take people's attention away from your acne? It's amazing. I get ready so much quicker in the morning too, because I don't need to spend much time on my face and makeup. And I'm loving the fact that I have self confidence now.

I'm going to check out the products you mentioned. Are they prescription? I'm going to do a search for them in just a second. I want to baby my skin as much as possible. No harsh products or anything like that at all.

Thanks for your imput and I also wish you clear skin for many years also. I know we've sorta stuck together when others have made comments that listed the reasons not to take Accutane, but it's the best decision I ever made. I just wish I'd done it earlier in life and not waited till I was 23! Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress!

Old 12-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

desert girl,

congrats!! I am so glad that you have found success with accutane (at least so far, and hopefully forever). I definitely hope you continue to post like boston girl about post accutane results as I especially would love to hear from you (since we determined that we had like the same type of acne). BTW, I finally started accutane on the 16th of december at 20mgs and am getting bumped up to 40mg's this coming monday. (just curious, what did you use to moisturize? and did you use anything for red marks while on accutane?) What was your finishing dose and what was the highest dosage you were put on? YOu were on accutane for 5 months right?

I look forward to hearing from you, and once again, congratulations and may God let you now be acne free.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl

Boston Girl- thanks for you encouragement. I'm so glad that your skin has not broken out much since you have finished your treatment. How long has it been? I think it may be a month or two, but I'm not sure. I love not having to wear makeup too! Isn't it nice to put on makeup when you want to and not because you HAVE to in order to cover up spots or take people's attention away from your acne? It's amazing. I get ready so much quicker in the morning too, because I don't need to spend much time on my face and makeup. And I'm loving the fact that I have self confidence now.

I'm going to check out the products you mentioned. Are they prescription? I'm going to do a search for them in just a second. I want to baby my skin as much as possible. No harsh products or anything like that at all.

Thanks for your imput and I also wish you clear skin for many years also. I know we've sorta stuck together when others have made comments that listed the reasons not to take Accutane, but it's the best decision I ever made. I just wish I'd done it earlier in life and not waited till I was 23! Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress!
I've been off accutane since September 1. So far so good, but I keep crossing my fingers. I agree, it is so nice not to have to wear makeup simply to cover spots but because you want to. I love looking through makeup in the stores now and not having people look at me like, "Poor girl can't hide the zits on her face that well." The confidence is through the roof now. I used to wake up really early in the morning to get my face presentable. Now I can be a normal person, take a shower, put some makeup on, and go.

The products I use now don't need a prescription. I did buy them through my dermatologist. I use the sebuwash, clay mask, and sebugel and use them all on my face at the same time. After I wash it off, I use the moisturizer and the spot treatment if needed. I tried to do a search on them online because for the 5 products cost me $150 at the derm's office and I was hoping to find a better price for them. I couldn't really find anything, but if you do, let me know....wait, we can't post websites here....I'll try doing another search.

I'm glad that there was someone else out there who stuck with me when people went on and on about how bad accutane is. It may be bad, good, or anything in between but the bottom line is, for some people it works and it's their last hope. I wish I started a lot sooner than 25 but at least I did it and got it over with.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:00 AM   #7

soulman HB User

BostonGirl - I decided to cut bangs again (haven't had them for about 5 or 6 years).
What is bang, girl????? weed?, speed?

Desertgirl - Ezcema can be a pain.....The neck thing has gone since I stop oratane, which is generic to accutane. Now I have some patches on my back.That's hard to reach. Is your dermatitis a result from accutane or you had them prior. My legs sufferred from ezcema, maybe i'll say from university stress and would you believe it...1 and a half year of minocin oral anti. It's OK now, but the scarring will always be there.

Its summer now in Australia. I was on oratane in winter but quit. Summer has come and just in time to break me out from these saturated, oily skin. I produce more oil than the Saudi's, I tell ya. If I do decide to go back on, it will probably be in autumn and low dose. I have to ask the derm something about my blood. I remember he said "everything was fine except for my liver.....but it's not important and nothing to worry about." It could be the long term antibiotics use that ruin my internal system with the liver suffering among others and many more disfuntional organs....maybe....

At 25, I feel the oil should go away..........I wish the oil will go away.....please...

Old 12-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman
BostonGirl - I decided to cut bangs again (haven't had them for about 5 or 6 years).
What is bang, girl????? weed?, speed?
LOL Soulman. I don't do drugs. I used to push all the hair off my forehead and now it's back. I was just going for a new look and I've read that bangs are back.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #9
(female)

desertgirl HB User

Just have a quick second to update: day five off accutane and I have some good news. First, no pimples! Yeah. Second, the ugly, scaly eczema is going away on my hands and forearms. My upper arms are better, but still incredibly dry. I'm pretty happy about having hands that look normal again! I'd notice people looking at them when I paid for something... even after a gallon of lotion, they looked red and crusty.

Only one thing that sort of stunk. I got a nose bleed today. It was pretty bad too. I didn't get many when I was on accutane, so I'm wondering if this was related or just a fluke (it's been cold and windy here so maybe I'm just dry.)

Anyway, Merry Christmas to everyone! I'm so excited this Christmas because this will be the first Christmas since I was 12 that I won't make everyone wait for me to put on some makeup (to cover up my ugly skin) before going out to open gifts. I used to be so humiliated; I could actually cry from the relief I feel about having a "normal" Christmas where no one gets annoyed with me for having to put on concealer first thing in the a.m. It's the best thing that I'll get that morning!

Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

merry x-mas desert girl and again, I am so happy for you, I hope one day (like four months from now, when i get off accutane) I can experience the same thing as you.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:06 AM   #11

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Wow I am in the same boat as you guys/girls. I started October 1st and the results have been awesome. I have gotten about 4 or 5 nosebleeds already which totally sucks, but whatever. It's the price I have to pay to have clear skin. I use Cetaphil face wash every day or every other day (but only like once per day) and it is sooo mild. I use Aquaphor on my face sometimes at night, especially after I shave. It makes my skin so smooth in the morning. I also put it in my nose at night and a few times during the daytime to help cut back on those nosebleeds, and it helps a LOT. I don't have a humidifier although I wanted to get one... I just couldn't justify buying one for only 4-5 months of use. Also, I have been getting wicked dry skin on my arms, hands, back of my neck, shoulders, and some on my back and chest. I put Aquaphor on all of those places and it really helps a lot, but the dry skin is very bad and very persistent. Using Aquaphor at night is the only way to go (during the day it makes you look really shiny like plastic or something... very unattractive lol). It has helped my hands and face a lot but that's about it. I am going to reduce my 80mg/day dosage in a few weeks down to 60mg/day which will hopefully help somewhat. February will be my last month on this stuff and in the last two weeks I will go from 60mg/day down to 40mg/day before I stop altogether. As much as I hate relying on pills, I have grown so attached to them that I am afraid to stop. NOTHING has worked like this and I just am so afraid that a few days or weeks after I stop I am going to get oily skin again and a few zits here and there. I'm 21 and will be going into medical school next year, I can't be having break-outs anymore. Anyway, my skin has been flawless since about 1.5 months in (no zits, no oil, no marks... just very smooth, evenly-toned (and dry) skin) and at this point I cannot even imagine how things were before this... it's like it was all a bad dream that never really happened. I do have pics of how my face looks after about 3 months on this stuff if anyone wants to see... Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by CollegeBoy21; 12-24-2004 at 12:06 AM.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #12

soulman HB User

Rang my dermatologist and he said that the blood test was OK for me to take oratane but the liver was raised slightly than normal. However, he said that was a minor thing. I told him my acne/oily skin has come back due to the summer weather. I will probably not take them throughout summer and hopefully never again. The oil production only have to stop moderately and I should be alright. For the record, I took oratane for less than a month on low dose (20 to 40 mg daily)

Because our liver is so important, I might have a blood test to check for everything abnormal. Merry Christmas to you all and lets hope 2005 will be a fantastic year.

CollegeBoy - You get those dry skin on accutane or you had them before prior? Accutane is one powerful drug and I read that dermatitis is one of the symptom of this drug. Different people react differently though. How was your acne before and how long you had them?

Last edited by soulman; 12-24-2004 at 10:17 AM.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:47 AM   #13

CollegeBoy21 HB User

I didn't develop these dry patches until after I started on Accutane. Before that if I got a mild dry spot after taking a shower I'd just put a small amount of moisturizer on it and that would be the end of it. Now I have to load up on Aquaphor just to keep it from getting worse. But it really isn't bad at all, especially considering I have NO acne anywhere.

The reason I went to Accutane is because it shrinks the sebaceous glands in the skin, which mine were definitely overactive. I always had mild acne but going through college I'd have lingering breakouts with persistent zits always coming back in the same spots. Plus the leftover marks were taking weeks to go away, so even if my skin was clear I'd have marks. Additionally, by the end or even the middle of the day my skin would start getting so oily, when all of my friends and co-workers would be oil free even at the end of the day. It just wasn't fair and no antibiotics seemed to work so I went to Accutane. I mostly just had it on my face, but occasionally a few on my neck, a few small ones on my back and chest, and even sometimes I'd get one or two on my arms. Accutane is working so incredibly well, better than I ever expected. I can't imagine life without this stuff.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:32 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I had a nosebleed this morning though. Ever since going off accutane, my nose has been pretty dry. Doesn't help that it's cold either so that may be the culprit.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #15

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Put Aquaphor up there at nighttime and in the morning... no more nosebleeds.

Closed Thread