It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User
Do Antibiotics make your skin...(read on)

...Do antibiotics make your skin worse after you stop taking them? Ive been considering going on something to help with the cystic acne (localized to my chin- SO annoying!!!) But I keep hearing how soon after you stop the medication...the acne comes back with a major grudge. Any suggestions or experiences?

Old 12-21-2004, 11:49 AM   #2

aprilnichole HB User
Re: Do Antibiotics make your skin...(read on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiciCouture
...Do antibiotics make your skin worse after you stop taking them? Ive been considering going on something to help with the cystic acne (localized to my chin- SO annoying!!!) But I keep hearing how soon after you stop the medication...the acne comes back with a major grudge. Any suggestions or experiences?

I've noticed that some people say it comes back and some say it stays away... I think it all depends on the person. Some people grow out of their acne and the antibiotics keep it away until that time comes. Others are able to keep the acne away by using topicals once the antibiotics are stopped. My derm. is pretty optimistic that if I wean off of them and keep using topicals that I should be just fine. I am scared though because there's always that chance it will come back worse than ever. I will say this though, I have been enjoying pretty clear skin for a few months now thanks to antibiotics so they are a blessing to me so far....
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
(female)

catie1 HB User

I use minocycline but I think I should go off of it because I've been on it for 2 years. I don't think it's helped much, my skin didn't clear up until I used retin-a. But someone said I shouldn't go off it because my skin will break out. When your derm. told you he would wean you off it at a certain time did he say how he would do that? I don't know what the right way is to go off of it. From what I've read it sounds like it's not good to be on it for so long.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:18 PM   #4

aprilnichole HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catie1
I use minocycline but I think I should go off of it because I've been on it for 2 years. I don't think it's helped much, my skin didn't clear up until I used retin-a. But someone said I shouldn't go off it because my skin will break out. When your derm. told you he would wean you off it at a certain time did he say how he would do that? I don't know what the right way is to go off of it. From what I've read it sounds like it's not good to be on it for so long.

Mr. derm is having me go down to just one pill a day (was taking 2) for 6-8 weeks and then stop completely. I have been on for 5 months now. I hear the average time to be on something like this is 6 mos. to a year... so I would say that 2 years is a long time. If it's not doing much for you then I would definitely go off of it and just hope for the best with the use of topicals.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

catie1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilnichole
Mr. derm is having me go down to just one pill a day (was taking 2) for 6-8 weeks and then stop completely. I have been on for 5 months now. I hear the average time to be on something like this is 6 mos. to a year... so I would say that 2 years is a long time. If it's not doing much for you then I would definitely go off of it and just hope for the best with the use of topicals.

Thanks for telling me how you are going off of it. I've always been on one 100mg one time a day, so maybe I'll try just taking it every other day for a while and taper down that way for a couple of months. Hopefully I won't break out bad like one person said they did.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #6
(female)

Mandilyn HB User

I went on Minocycline when I was 15 and I was on it for I think 5 or 6 months and my face was crystal clear in about 2 months, I was so happy. But then My doctor took me off because he said that you cant stay on antibiotics for more than 6 months or a year(I think thats what he said It was so long ago). well I remember like about 1 or 2 weeks after I stopped taking Minocycline my face broke out worse than it have ever broke out in my life, oh my gosh cyst were popping out of my face like every hour I swear my face just blew up. Then my doctor put me back on it and my face cleared back up in about 2 months and everytime I went off the drug my face was a total mess.

My opinion is if you are going to go on any antibiotic dont go on minocycline, its nice while you are on it, but if you stop taking it, your face turns into a mess. Im not too sure about any other antibiotic though.

Old 12-22-2004, 01:31 PM   #7

Nametaken48 HB User

I think if you are weened off it, or also use a topical, you should be fine. I'm weening off it right now and using Differin, and my skin is clearer than it was when I was on it. If you just drop it and weren't taking anything else when you were on it, you probably have a much higher risk of having acne return.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #8
(female)

catie1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilyn
I went on Minocycline when I was 15 and I was on it for I think 5 or 6 months and my face was crystal clear in about 2 months, I was so happy. But then My doctor took me off because he said that you cant stay on antibiotics for more than 6 months or a year(I think thats what he said It was so long ago). well I remember like about 1 or 2 weeks after I stopped taking Minocycline my face broke out worse than it have ever broke out in my life, oh my gosh cyst were popping out of my face like every hour I swear my face just blew up. Then my doctor put me back on it and my face cleared back up in about 2 months and everytime I went off the drug my face was a total mess.

My opinion is if you are going to go on any antibiotic dont go on minocycline, its nice while you are on it, but if you stop taking it, your face turns into a mess. Im not too sure about any other antibiotic though.

Mandilyn, that sounds awful, I am scared to go off of it, but I am on retin-a and it's the only thing that's really helped so I feel like I shouldn't stay on the mino. forever. So did your face ever clear up without using the mino. or are you still on it?

Old 12-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #9
(male)

BallaLoc254 HB User

antibiotics are mostly for getting rid of acne temporarily, few months, year w/e. like when you're a teen, and after that time you'll almost be grown out of it

antibiotics will not make your skin go worse afterwards. all they do is kill the bacteria causing your acne, but after a while the bacteria get resistant to it, and it stops working. it will not come back worse.

you can use something anti-bacterial like bp, tea tree oil, etc to slow down the process bacteria go through to become resistant to it

Old 12-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #10
(female)

Mandilyn HB User

Catie1,
No I do not take minocycline anymore I stopped taking It 3 years ago after it messed up my face.
In March 2003 I started taking Accutane and I was on it for about 4 months then he took me off of it, oh yea and in May 2003 My Derm put me on Diane35 because he said I need to take a birth control while on accutane. I am still taking Diane35 right now and I never stopped taking it. My face has been clear since I came of accutane, But I still break out in like one pimple a month. I think what made my face stay clear until now and since I stopped taking accutane was Diane 35 because Im still on it, But Im not sure If it was the Accutane or the Diane35 because I started taking them around the same time.
Honestly I swear that was one of the best things I did for my face, but I dont wanna say anything cause I swear jinxing is real!

Closed Thread