It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
(male)

JiVage HB User
Bread cause pimples?

Can eating bread actually cause pimples?
Lately I've been attempting to eat more healthely (more fruits, drinking more water, just the healthy stuff) as for years now I believe quite strongly that I've neglected my health. I'm not overweight or anything (I'm one of the those fortunate people who can just eat and eat without gaining much weight, lol I'm not sciting or anything) however I believed that some of the pimples that were popping up were due to the foods I was eating.

Well I've started to eat more 'healthy' foods but was told that bread can actually cause pimples? The same goes for yogurt. I've always known yogurt oto be good for skin etc, however diary is also a 'avoided' food when trying to minimize pimples. Any clarifications?

Last edited by JiVage; 12-21-2004 at 03:25 PM.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:01 PM   #2
(male)

fixme HB User
Re: Bread cause pimples?

man guys....both my family doctor and derm are both stressing to me that acne is in no way whatsoever connected to what you eat...i trust them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
(male)

JiVage HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixme
man guys....both my family doctor and derm are both stressing to me that acne is in no way whatsoever connected to what you eat...i trust them
Hmmm I see. Thanks for the clarification. I know what you mean. At times I think "eating chocolates" or "eating oily foods" are all myths however there are so many other people who say there is a connection between what you eat and pimples. Its really hard to listen to "whose telling the truth" however in this case eating less bad foods are a good way to stay interally healthy.

At this point, well I'm still a little stumped in terms of if foods are connected with pimples.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #4

kittikat HB User

I think if you are constantly eating junk food, it can definitely have an affect on acne. I don't think it directly causes acne. However, I believe that if you don't maintain a healthy diet that your body will become run down and will start to show signs of it, like developing acne. I eat a balance of good food and junk food. Don't get me wrong, I eat fast food and other things that I not that healthy. But I don't do it every day. I think it is wise to keep a balance so you don't feel deprived. But maintaining a "healthy" diet may keep acne at bay simply for the reason that you are not running your body into the ground and it is getting the proper nutrients to maintain a healthy equilibrium. Well, that is my opinion.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

I do think that certain foods causes my acne to flair up. White bread is DEFINITELY one of those foods. But that is just me. Some people may not be affected by what they eat, but for a dermatologist to say that there is absolutely no connection between acne and food is ludicrious. Changing what I eat has helped my acne. So there is a connection between the two in my case.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

There are several myths about what causes acne. Chocolate, soft drinks and greasy foods are often considered to be initiators of acne outbreaks. But research has shown that foods appear to have little effect on the development and course of acne in most people. Sexual behaviors have also been linked to acne, but there is no scientific evidence to support this myth either. Another common myth is that dirty skin causes acne; but blackheads and other acne lesions are not caused by dirt. Exposure to dirt is not considered to be a risk factor for acne.

Here is an excerpt from the Brown University Student Health Services.

The exact causes of acne are unknown, but it is believed that it can result from several factors, primarily, an increase in hormones called androgens, which both males and females have. Increases in androgens cause your oil glands to enlarge and produce more oil. This oil can also change into a thick white substance called sebum. An increased oil production clogs your pores with oil and sebum that can breakdown the cellular walls in your pores, which causes bacteria to grow and pimples to develop.

Some researchers also believe that your chances of developing acne can be greatly influenced by genetics. The use of certain drugs containing androgens and lithium are known to cause acne. The use of greasy cosmetics can also lead to acne because they plug your cell follicles and promote bacterial growth.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Inactive

Mehtab HB User

That's weird because all I had to do was stop eating dairy and refined foods to get rid of my acne.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
There are several myths about what causes acne. Chocolate, soft drinks and greasy foods are often considered to be initiators of acne outbreaks. But research has shown that foods appear to have little effect on the development and course of acne in most people. Sexual behaviors have also been linked to acne, but there is no scientific evidence to support this myth either. Another common myth is that dirty skin causes acne; but blackheads and other acne lesions are not caused by dirt. Exposure to dirt is not considered to be a risk factor for acne.

Here is an excerpt from the Brown University Student Health Services.

The exact causes of acne are unknown, but it is believed that it can result from several factors, primarily, an increase in hormones called androgens, which both males and females have. Increases in androgens cause your oil glands to enlarge and produce more oil. This oil can also change into a thick white substance called sebum. An increased oil production clogs your pores with oil and sebum that can breakdown the cellular walls in your pores, which causes bacteria to grow and pimples to develop.

Some researchers also believe that your chances of developing acne can be greatly influenced by genetics. The use of certain drugs containing androgens and lithium are known to cause acne. The use of greasy cosmetics can also lead to acne because they plug your cell follicles and promote bacterial growth.
Thus, we now KNOW how food relates to the production of acne. (Excess) Sugar increases Insulin and Insulin (in excess) greatly increases Androgens. Insulin & Androgens also increase IGF-1 (more potent than insulin, can also be increased by dairy & trans fats) which is responsible for cell growth, stimulation and thus sebaceous gland enlargement & sebum secretion. As a result of IGF-1, it's presence increases pro-inflammatory cytokines (to suppress the IGF-1), thus the presence of inflammation (may also be induced by microorganisms TRAPPED in the clogged pore).

Easy.

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-22-2004 at 05:33 PM.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Oh what the heck:
Quote:
Am J Clin Nutr. 1996 Jan;63(1):22-31. Related Articles, Links

Association of dietary factors and selected plasma variables with sex hormone-binding globulin in rural Chinese women.

Gates JR, Parpia B, Campbell TC, Junshi C.

Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-4401, USA.

Sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) is an important regulator of plasma sex steroids as well as a sensitive indicator of insulin resistance. SHBG may be an important diagnostic measure of risk for pathologies associated with insulin resistance syndrome (IRS) such as non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM), obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. In women, SHBG is also implicated in diverse pathologies such as cancers of steroid-sensitive tissues and hirsutism. Data from an ongoing ecological study linking diet and health in rural China were analyzed to determine the relation of selected plasma variables and diet to plasma concentrations of SHBG. All data represent county mean values, pooled by age and sex, to assess the relation between biochemical and lifestyle characteristics and disease-specific mortality rates at the county level. The study sample consisted of 3250 Chinese women between the ages of 35 and 64 y living in 65 widely dispersed rural counties. Consumption patterns for 21 different food groups were derived from a food-frequency questionnaire and a 3-d dietary survey and subsequently compared. Correlation analyses of county mean values demonstrated a significant association between SHBG and insulin, testosterone, triacylglycerols, body mass index, age at menarche, and several foods. In regression analyses, after adjustments, the strongest predictors of SHBG concentrations were the dietary intake of rice (beta = 0.42, P < 0.01), fish (beta = 0.34, P < 0.05), millet (beta = -0.27, P < 0.01), and wheat (beta = -0.34, P < 0.01). When insulin, testosterone, and triacylglycerols were added to the model only triacylglycerols (beta = -0.26, P < 0.05) remained a significant independent predictor of SHBG. Additional analyses suggested that the consumption of green vegetables was modestly positively correlated with SHBG and negatively with insulin values. Consumption of rice and fish in particular appeared to favorably influence the principle plasma variables associated with a reduction in the risk for IRS pathologies.
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=8604665[/url]
So this is why "bread" can cause/initiate acne production. "Bread" as in Wheat, as this is primarily what is used when we speak of Flour, Bread, Pasta, etc. Now I follow a gluten free (gf) diet and therefore I avoid most grains, yet millet is one of those that is allowed in a GF diet. I however have yet to eat millet and now that I see that it is just a bit less worse than wheat in terms of SHBG levels, I don't think this will be a grain that I will consume. The more stubborn/sensitive yoru body is, the more likely one will have to give up ALL grains. I eat primarily corn, rice and occassionally buckwheat grain products. Buckwheat isn't even a grain though and it actually works to improve SHBG levels as well, but you must eat Buckwheat Farinetta to truly reap therapeutic benefits.

Quote:
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995 Jul;80(7):2057-62. Related Articles, Links

Effects of diet and metformin administration on sex hormone-binding globulin, androgens, and insulin in hirsute and obese women.

Crave JC, Fimbel S, Lejeune H, Cugnardey N, Dechaud H, Pugeat M.

Hospices Civils de Lyon, Laboratoire de la Clinique Endocrinologique, Hopital de l'Antiquaille, France.

Evidence suggests that hyperinsulinemic insulin resistance may increase serum levels of ovarian androgens and reduce sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) levels in humans. The present study was conducted to assess the effect of administration of the biguanide metformin, a drug commonly used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus, on androgen and insulin levels in 24 hirsute patients. The patients selected for the study were obese, with a body mass index higher than 25 kg/m2 and high fasting insulin (> 90 pmol/L) and low SHBG levels (< 30 nmol/L). All patients were given a low calorie diet (1500 Cal/day) and randomized for either metformin administration at a dose of 850 mg or a placebo, twice daily for 4 months, in a double blind study. In the placebo group, diet resulted in a significant decrease in body mass index (30.8 +/- 1.0 vs. 32.7 +/- 1.5 kg/m2; P < 0.0001), fasting insulin (127 +/- 11 vs. 156 +/- 14 pmol/L; P < 0.01), non-SHBG-bound testosterone [Free Testosterone](0.19 +/- 0.02 vs. 0.28 +/- 0.03 nmol/L; P < 0.02), androstenedione (5.8 +/- 0.5 vs. 9.0 +/- 1.1 nmol/L; P < 0.03), and 3 alpha-diolglucuronide [3-alpha diol G](8.6 +/- 1.1 vs. 11.7 +/- 1.9; P < 0.005) plasma concentrations and a significant increase in the glucose/insulin ratio (0.047 +/- 0.005 vs. 0.035 +/- 0.003; P < 0.001) and plasma concentrations of SHBG (26.0 +/- 3.3 vs. 19.1 +/- 1.9 nmol/L; P < 0.001) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate [DHEA-S](8.7 +/- 1.5 vs. 8.4 +/- 1.3; P < 0.05). Beneficial effects of diet were not significantly different in the patients who were given metformin instead of placebo. These results confirm that weight loss induced by a low calorie diet is effective in improving hyperinsulinemia and hyperandrogenism in obese and hirsute women. With our study design, metformin administration had no additional benefit over the effect of diet. [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=7608255]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...st_uids=7608255[/url]
In case you are wondering, this is what I was diagnosed as 3.5 years ago. I'm actually atypical for both Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) & Insulin Resistance Syndrome (IR) as I don't carry any of the "classic signs" (ex: you do NOT have to be obese or overweight), yet I do still carry traits for both of these and as such there's actually a PCOS variant known as HAIR-AN Syndrome (Hyperandrogenism, Insulin Resistance, Acanthosis Negricans) that both men & woman can have and that would explain my symptoms the best.

Now those words in bold are basically what you want to look for in an ANY acne treatment if your goal is to reduce/inhibit androgens. Like the first study said, SHBG is now the new indicator (over IGF-1) for insulin resistance & hyperandrogenism. If your SHBG is low, you probably have Hyperinsulinemia (or Hypothyroidism) induced Hyperandrogenism as SHBG is lowered by increased Insulin and it's job is to bind Free Testosterone/Androgen. DHEA-S is a bound form of adrenal androgen DHEA (making it less potent), 3-alpha diol G is the product of DHT (Accutane inhibits this also), Androstendione, and Free Testosterone (convertes to DHT) are all androgens. The super androgen DHT can be the end result of all of these and is implicated in sebum production, acne, hirsutism, androgenic alopecia and interstingly enough certain retinoids that some of you may have used, like RetinA & Accutane, inhibit it's formation.

That study above describes exactly what happened to me when I stopped my medication and some others have also discovered they could do the same. For 1 year I had been taking Avandia (metaformin made me sick) and 150mg of Spironolcatone, but was only a max of 85% clear (for 3 months of the year). Yet when I initially changed my diet, I went up to a CONSTANT 95% clear! Over time, I permanently dropped avandia (after 3 months into my diet) and even dropped the spiro for 6 months (started back on at 100mg for hirsutism treatment) to make sure that it wasn't my medication (like it actually took 6 years of Spiro before it FINALLY fully kicked in,,,LOL). Now, 2.5 years later, I'm 99%+ clear and this includes my face, back, chest, neck, ears (I can breakout in lots of...places), I've got the smallest pores since I hit puberty, have a lot less oil & dandruff, a bit less body hair (a lot less with Spiro) and I no longer suffer from horrible menstrual cramps! Trust me, I have not grown out of it, I can still breakout if I eat the "wrong" foods for me, but I usually don't intentionally do this as most of the time I'll end up with very stubborn cystic acne as a result =/ So I do my very best NOT to =)

Of course there are other hormonal disorders that can lead to hyperandrogensim (in the skin or throught the body), but this is an example as to how food plays a LARGE role in steriod hormone production. Please note how long those studies have been out, for almost 10 years now, yet there are plenty of other, recent & past, studies that exist. In fact, Insulin (and thus food) as been associated with steriod hormone production since the 1960s or 1970s. These doctors should really take the time to be up on the latest research...

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-22-2004 at 06:16 PM.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

just bumping =)

Old 12-31-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Sweetjade, How long did you suffer from acne before you altered your diet?

Old 12-31-2004, 01:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Sweetjade, How long did you suffer from acne before you altered your diet?
I suffered with acne since I was at least 10 (that's my earliest memory) and it went full blown body acne (and continued to spread slowly elswhere) when I was 11. Since I was 12 I've attempted dietary changes, but they were very minor in the effects so of course I never saw the results of avoiding the typical chocolates or sodas for all those years! However, I'm now 24, so I guess I suffered about 12 years before I finally got this diet thing right enough. After I changed my diet almost 2.5 years ago (21 nearly 22 years old), I was able to see how the little things like "added sugar," candy, soda, trans fats, nuts etc could also effect me but they were only 4-5% my problem while Gluten (wheat, barley, rye, oats) was the other 95%. Should say though that again, I rarely eat gluten-free specific bread products, but of them, I've never tried gluten-free millett (as the study showed this would also be a bad one). So I pretty much am more so only eating rice & corn grain products, but I'm working on adding Buckwheat into my diet daily.

How's your diet? Do you eat any of this stuff?

Last edited by SweetJade1; 12-31-2004 at 02:06 PM.

Closed Thread