It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #16

Zip HB User
Re: Adult Acne

Oh MyFace and Kittikat,

The only time that I had clear skin after puberty was when I was pregnant! Not one zit the whole time. My skin actually glowed. It could happen to you too But even if it doesn't.. c'mon, you can live with zits for 9 months! The dermatologist was right... don't let acne stop you from living your life.

Try the Murad acne treatment products. I have hormonal acne too (I'm assuming) and it really worked for me when all the prescription products failed.

Old 12-26-2004, 10:04 PM   #17

CollegeBoy21 HB User

That's weird. This girl I know had nice skin but usually a zit or two at any given time. She got pregnant and her skin started breaking out to where she had quite a few more than just 2 zits on her face at any one time (but still she had nice smooth skin overall). After she had the baby her skin became flawless. She doesn't even need to wear make-up at all and she looks great. She just turned 21 too. Doesn't birth control help to control acne... if it is hormone based? If you're a guy, just take Accutane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2004, 10:04 PM   #18

Geyes HB User

Wow I tried the Murad products too when my ProActiv stopped working. The Murad burned the heck out of my face. Which system are you all using? Is it the one specific to acne? I am 39 and have cystic chin acne. I first had an utbreak 6 years ago. That's when I started using ProActiv and it kept me clear for all those years until recently! I guess now my skin is used to it. Bummer. So, now I am on yet another quest searching for other products and supplements.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:37 AM   #19
(female)

malia81 HB User

hello everyone,

i am a 23 and have had acne since i was in 6th grade. imagine middle school kids asking you "what is that on your face?" in complete naivete...they hadn't even seen acne before!it has been an extrememly long battle and i've not won yet.

for a lot of people who have acne into adulthood, i see that they've used prescription after prescription without success...both topicals and orals. i myself have been on accutane 4 times! all of which had no success after ONE month of taking the last pill. not to mention i've tried all types of Rx: masks (sulfur based, and salicylic acid based), antibiotics (tetracycline, minocin, dynacin for years), retinoids (Retin-a/micro, avita, tazorac, diferin), benzoyl peroxide (Benzac - huge mistake!), systems (ProActive, Perricone's Acne prescription, Acne Free in 3 days, some system from LA).

ALL imaginable strengths of OTC products, BP, SA, GA, in all different combinations. let me tell you firsthand, NEVER combine a retinoid with BP unless you want to look like Freddy Kreuger.

and the supplements: B5 megadosing, Vit A, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vit C, DMAE, Vit E, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, primrose oil, borage oil, spironolactone, etc., etc.

then, i started thinking....i'm past puberty and my skin shouldn't be acting up this badly anymore. bc i realized the more medications i put on my skin the more it would just spew oil.

so then i cut down to one topical a night...my tone looked a bit better. then i used only Cetaphil...even better. but still breaking out. then i read Sodium Lauryl Sulfate can be an allergen. so i used water to wash only. still broke out. fast forward to 8-9 months of using only products on my face that i would ingest, having done all the crazy liver flushing and bowel cleansing, and i'm seeing slow and steady results.

i've used oils starting with jojoba, then added emu, then tamanu. now because of the cold i'm using unrefined shea butter and emu oil. after rinsing in the shower with water, then exfoliating with baking soda, and a hot salt water treatment with celtic sea salt i'll literally slop the emu oil and shea butter on.

contrary to what i've always believed, OILS are NOT bad for your skin. you just have to find the right ones. if your face is dry right after you wash it then that could mean that you just need to replenish it. putting on topicals is just keeping the cycle there.

sorry this turned out to be an essay...i do have so much more to say but i'll stop! honestly, i've never had results like this when i was bombarding my face with acne medications.

Last edited by malia81; 12-27-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #20

Terihe HB User

I am 46 yr old female and still have acne. My face is now acne free. I have skin that needs alot of exfoliation. I use retin a and glycolic acid. The retin a accelerates my cell turnover rate and the glycolic acid keeps the top layers exfoliated and the pores clear. I make sure to use sunscreen every day faithfully. When I golf or I am in the sun I use anthelios spf 60. Sunscreen is the best wrinkle preventer out there.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #21
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

Kittikat,
Wow...it's wild how much our stories are alike! Good luck with going off of the pill....I sure hope it works out for you.

Zip,
The thing is, it's not just that I get little, tiny zits....I get big, purple, painful zits when I am off of the pill....ones that scar forever. It is really hard for me to deal with having that AND being pregnant...I am emotional enough when my face is in bad shape....to add pregnancy to that seems just too much!

Plus, it takes me at least a year to get back to normal from a bad breakout. I have to go to work and talk to people everyday feeling so self-conscious. I know that people think it's no big deal, but it is for me.

I am just not sure what I am going to do.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #22
(female)

wildindigo HB User

Hi Besty,
I am a 27 year old female and have been suffering for 10 years. My acne was never really that bad just annoying. Recently it has flared up due to trying birth control, which made be now have horrible acne. I started tazorac .05% and it seemed to be working well before the bc pill. My doc put me on spironolactone 100mg/day three weeks ago to counteract the effects of the bc pill, which i decided to stop. I am praying the spiro works, I have heard great things about it on this site. The waiting is the hardest part. After years of antibiotics I am used to switching to new meds and learning to be patient.
Spiro is suppose to work wonders for adult women. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Johnson
Hello Buzz, I'm a 32 yr old female suffering from adult acne..I've had it on and off for many yrs since juniour high...Just today i saw my dermotologist...he pesribed diffiren well actaully he just sent me home with samples of differin,retina a,rosac,clenia and klaron..I started the differin tonite since its more gentler..I have mild acne not real bad but bad enough....I was using just Klaron but it didnt do much for stopping new blemishes or for blackheads...what all have u tried?I've been on and off MInocin too...

Old 12-27-2004, 04:35 PM   #23

Zip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geyes
Wow I tried the Murad products too when my ProActiv stopped working. The Murad burned the heck out of my face. Which system are you all using? Is it the one specific to acne?
I bought the kit called "Get Clear. Stay Clear. Acne Complex Kit." It contains clarifying cleanser, exfoliating acne treatment gel, acne spot treatment, and skin perfecting lotion. My skin felt so smooth after using the products one time. I have to say my face burned slightly for a few hours for the first couple of days, but that went away. Did you use the moisturizer with it? That is an absolute must, in my opinion, or you'll burn the heck out of your skin. Also, I've read that if you experience burning you should try using the products only once/day at first, or even every other day. On the other hand, we all have different skin, so maybe these just weren't the products for you. I only wish I had discovered this line years ago! It would have saved me so much frustration and aggravation with my skin. No more zits... I still can't believe it

Old 12-28-2004, 09:15 AM   #24

Geyes HB User

Yes I used the lotion with it. I had the entire system specific to acne. But....I did use it twice a day instead of going with it slowly. Hmmm. Perhaps that was the problem. Well I still have some left I think. Maybe I will try it slowly next time. Thanks for your help!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 09:49 AM   #25
(female)

goolgirl HB User

I am a 30yr old woman who has been struggling with acne for the last 15 yrs. I've been on several topicals, Accutane, the pill and Antibiotics. My acne is quite bad at the moment, mostly because I stopped taking Minocin and Birth control 5.5 months ago, as we are trying to conceive our first baby.

If I could also let my guard down, this disease controls most of my life. I am fortunate to have a husband who is not bothered by my horrible looking skin but I'm sure deep down it is affecting him. I am also fortunate to have a job where I spend most of my time on the phone, and do not have to deal with the public face to face.

The first thing I seem to notice in people is their skin. I marvel at people with clear skin and think how easy and wonderful their life must be.

I'm at the point now that I'm intersted in alternative treatments. I'm currently researching photodynamic blu-light therapy and will be meeting with a cosmetic derm. next week. I'm sure this procedure will be costly and I'll probably get my hopes up, but aside from being medicated for the rest of my life, what other options exist?

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day!

Old 12-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #26

Zip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy21
That's weird. This girl I know had nice skin but usually a zit or two at any given time. She got pregnant and her skin started breaking out to where she had quite a few more than just 2 zits on her face at any one time (but still she had nice smooth skin overall). After she had the baby her skin became flawless. She doesn't even need to wear make-up at all and she looks great. She just turned 21 too. Doesn't birth control help to control acne... if it is hormone based? If you're a guy, just take Accutane.
Why is it weird? If your acne is hormonally-caused, it stands to reason that it can be affected (either positively or negatively) during pregnancy... a time of tremendous hormonal changes. Some women break out during pregnancy, especially the first trimester... while others experience clear skin for the first time. Basing your knowledge on a single girl you know who got pregnant is kind of short-sighted :-) Maybe she just outgrew her acne. I don't believe there is a single cause of acne, otherwise there would be one treatment that worked for all of us and we'd all be cured. Therefore, telling people to just go on Accutane or take the pill.. as if it is that simple.. is somewhat patronizing, don't you think? I don't mean to get on your case (ok, maybe a little ) but you only had acne for a couple of years and you don't any longer. I think your perspective is a bit different than someone who has had to battle it for 20 or 30 years.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #27
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

goolgirl:

Thanks for letting your guard down and talking about this. Trust me, I know how hard it is....I am lucky that my husband is very loving and understanding too, but he could see how much the breakouts changed my personality and he is willing to give me time to figure this out before we TTC. How long after you went off of the pill did your acne start to flare up?

For me, it was about 6 months, when it got really bad. I assume that once I got pregnant, my face would get better, but it's that time in between that just wrecks me. In my job, I have to deal with many, many other employees and clients and vendors face to face on a daily basis. Much of my success is dependent upon how I deal with these people and with a face full of zits, I don't do so well.

Let us know of your progress conceiving too and how your skin responds, if you don't mind.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #28
(female)

goolgirl HB User

OH MAY FACE:

it was about 4 months that my face started acting up again. At this point it's almost 6 months and it's bad. I would never be seen in public without makeup on and I worry that people will come over in the evening when I've removed all the make up. My husband brought a friend over a few weeks ago and he saw me without make up and was quite surprised. I cried myself to sleep out of embarassment.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #29
(female)

dceptiveophelia HB User
Angry Re: Adult Acne

Hi All, I will be 23 soon so I guess I'm getting closer to being in the "adult acne" category. I've had acne since I was 10 yrs. old. I tried all the OTC products before getting serious help, at which time I tried a line of prescriptions: Benzamycin, Minocyclin, Differin, Benzaclin, Retin-A Micro, Tazorac...Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and now Yasmin. My acne has affected me emotionally at a deep level. I've never been extremely depressed, but I do have terribly low self esteem. I hate making eye contact, and when a boyfriend or a friend tells me I'm beautiful, I find it soooo hard to believe them. I look in the mirror and laugh or cry, depending on my state of mind. Right now I have cystic acne mostly along my chin and lower cheeks, with sporadic ones on my forehad and cheekbones. I'm feeling extra repulsive right now because --I swear-- there is like a clump of 8 monster cysts on the right side of my face all in close proximity. It is mostly moderate, but always there. The severity comes and goes, but this is the worst its been in awhile. Its hard to know where to turn or what to try next. Will it all just be more money down the drain? I try to stay positive despite how I sound right now. A lot of times I just try to hide my pain. So, next on the list...I'm trying to look into Spiro. I would never have known about it unless I read this board & hopefully I can get a prescription and try it out. I wish you all success and courage...for this fight is so hard to win!

Old 12-28-2004, 06:44 PM   #30

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Accutane. Just make sure you research it because there is a lot to know and understand about it if you are female. Accutane is supposed to be for severe cystic acne, but it is also great if your acne is caused by overactive sebaceous glands. It is also the closest thing to a "cure" that's currently out on the market. The most common side-effects (by far) are dry skin, dry eyes, dry scalp, chapped lips, and once in a while some mild hair loss (which, after the 4-6 month treatment ends the hair grows back in as thick as it used to... so it's not permanent). My acne was caused by overactive oil glands which is why I took it - and it worked so well. I felt repulsed by my face too at times, but after only a month or two my face was flawless like it has never ever seen a zit before. Do your research, talk to your doctor, and if he won't prescribe it you can always dig around and find it being sold on the internet (about $200 for 100 capsules, 20mg Isotane each). Be aware that it is marketed under different names as well (Accutane, Roaccutane, Isotane, Isotretinoin) but they are all the same thing. I'd really suggest reading some online journals as part of your research. Usually those people post before and after pictures and usually update on a daily basis during treatment, so you can get an excellent idea of what this stuff does and how long it takes to do what it does. It is also a good idea to start with a low dose and gradually work up to half your body weight (I am 165lbs, so divide that by 2 and I get just over 82.5... so 80mg / day is what I am taking). My acne wasn't too bad really, but I started off at 40mg / day for 2 weeks then went up to 60mg / day because it was working so well. I think went up to 80mg / day (currently) and will stay at this level for a month before working my way back down to 60mg and then 40mg before I stop. Oh yea, you also should avoid alcohol while on this (Vitamin A and synthetic Vitamin A are bad for your live in high doses, but since it's not TOO high of a dose and is only 4-6 months you'll be ok, but alcohol is unnecessary stress and could have permanent effects). It would also help to run, or bike, or just workout while on Accutane too because cholesterol and blood fat levels increase while on this drug, so healthy eating and cardio workouts will help keep those things to a minimum. OK sorry for the long post. Seriously just go research Accutane, read the journals, think about it, talk to your dermatologist, and if you really want it bad enough (if he/she says no) you can always get it online... Good luck!

PS - Whether you are pretty or not is unaffected by acne. Skin tone makes a difference, sure, but people look at other people for who they are. People will still see the natural beauty you have. AND people tend to see people for WHO they are. Try to be confident that you are a great person and have a lot to offer people... let your personality step up and prevail over your acne and people will be so attracted to you for it, and you will love yourself too. It sounds cheesy but it is so true. People told me I was good looking while I had acne and I never believed it, but I still new I had a good looking face but with the acne I just felt so unattractive. Now that my face is clear nothing really has changed, just my self-confidence. Now I see what everybody else saw. Now that I feel comfortable with myself I can actually BE myself and not worry and it's fantastic. If I had realized this before so many things would be different now. Just try not to let it get you down, and if you really have tried everything with no good luck then take a look at Accutane. Good luck!

Closed Thread