It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
(male)

Buzzsaw HB User
Adult Acne

Just wanted to start a discussion for those of us battling acne as adults. No offense to our younger counterparts, in fact I hope they read and post here too and maybe we can provide them some expert advice and they can give us some hope.

I just think those of us who are suffering from acne as adults could benefit from a place where we can discuss concerns that relate to our situations.

By adult, I'm thinking at least mid to late 20s and beyond. Basically, those of us who thought we had won, or at least gotten past, the acne battle. For the record, I'm 42. Even though I had acne into my late 20s, I thought I had it licked until about three years ago. Now I find myself breaking out again. The new acne combined with the scars and blemishes I still have from my younger days makes it very tough going to work and social events. I'm embarrased to see friends and family I haven't seen for a while. I have become very self-conscious because of it.

For those suffering from acne as adults, what are you doing, what have you done, and how do you cope? What would you like to share about your situation? I think we can find a little comfort here with each other's help.

Despite our situation, find time to enjoy the holidays!

Cheers,

Buzz

Old 12-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User
Re: Adult Acne

Hello Buzz, I'm a 32 yr old female suffering from adult acne..I've had it on and off for many yrs since juniour high...Just today i saw my dermotologist...he pesribed diffiren well actaully he just sent me home with samples of differin,retina a,rosac,clenia and klaron..I started the differin tonite since its more gentler..I have mild acne not real bad but bad enough....I was using just Klaron but it didnt do much for stopping new blemishes or for blackheads...what all have u tried?I've been on and off MInocin too...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
(male)

Buzzsaw HB User

Hi Besty,

After a couple unsucessful visits to the derm a couple years ago (was on Minocin and a steroid cream), I finally decided to try a different one a couple months ago (one that is not in my HMO, so this ordeal is really getting costly!). This derm prescribed Septra and DUAC (Bp). After about two weeks, I had the worst zit of my life - right on my cheek! I went back and the derm upped my Septra prescription. Since then, I really haven't had a break out (been only about 3 weeks now though). I do have a nasty blemish from the "zit from hell" that I'll get to show off at all the Holiday parties coming up! (sigh)

After I feel like I have the acne under control, I want to look at ways to get rid of, or at least lessen, my blemishes and scars. The meds really make my skin sensitive, which makes shaving that much more of a pain!

Let us know how things go with you Besty, and enjoy some relaxation over the holidays!

Cheers,

Buzz

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 12-23-2004 at 08:36 PM.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #4

kittikat HB User

Buzzsaw,

Thanks for posting this thread. I am a 34 year old female and always feel as though not a lot of people on this board can relate because they are experiencing acne at a younger age. I also experienced teenage acne but it didn't seem to emotionally impact me as much as when I developed it again a year ago. When I was a teenager, I still went to school and interacted with my friends. I remember being upset about it, but it didn't prevent me from graduating from high school, going to college and eventually starting my career.

Now (if I let my guard down) my acne effects all aspects of my life. When I initially started to break out with acne, I avoided my friends and family, took some time off of work and basically cried about it every day. I definitely am better and tried to remain positive for the most part. I guess what was the most frustrating was trying all these different products, topicals, creams and other things recommended by my family, friends and doctor and nothing worked. In fact, it all made it worse. I have come to the conclusion that the "beauty" industry just wants to make money and there is no real product out there that can "cure" acne.

I am currently using Purpose Gentle Wash Cleanser AM and PM, Cleo-T Lotion in the AM and Retin-A PM. I have never found a moisturizer that did not make my acne worse. Therefore, I recently purchased a humidifer, which I run while I am sleeping. My dry skin has decreased and my skin actually feels softer and smooth. Also, I on Othro Tri-Cyclin for Birth Control.

So far, I get an occasional pimple, but nothing like before. I was going to the dermatologist at least once a week to have cortisone shots for the cystic acne below my jawline, which were very painful. I still have the red marks, but I cover those with makeup. It sounds like you are concerned about red marks as well. Have you considered a concealer. Almay makes a great one. I know you are male, but it does not look like you have makeup on when yoiu apply it. People are surprised when I tell them I have makeup on. Believe me, a year ago I did not wear makeup. I have had to learn how to apply makeup and find ones that don't break me out. It has been hell.

So here it is, I have noticed that if I keep tell myself positive thoughts the idea of having acne doesn't seem as bad. I can cover it with makeup and nobody knows I have it. I have spent to much time letting acne control my life. The day I said to hell with the bloody acne, my quality of life has improve and as well as my relationship with others. I definitely still have my bad days, but I have developed some new hobbies and I am trying really hard to stay positive. Bottom line, we only have one life to live and I don't want to live my life worrying about my acne. Ironically, not stressing about my acne, I noticed that it has improved. Go Figure.

By the way, "less is more". I had really irriated, dry, itchy and flaky skin because my last dermatologist put me on so many different topicals that my face did not have a chance. My current derm. had to prescribe steroids for a week to just calm down the red, itchy and dry skin. It worked and we are back on track with the acne.

Happy Holidays and everyone keep safe.

Last edited by kittikat; 12-23-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 AM   #5

CollegeBoy21 HB User

Hey guys, I'm 21 and don't really fit into this category really... but I've done a ton of research on acne and thought maybe I could throw some helpful ideas out there for you all. I never really had acne problems until the end of high school. Towards the end of my senior year into my freshman year of college my face started breaking out more little by little... larger, more frequent, and longer lasting pimples. It didn't get bad until mid-late freshman year of college and it just kept getting worse. I went to the dermatologist in the summer and antibiotics worked well, for about a month. After that they stopped working altogether. Things kept getting worse up until a few months ago when I decided to stop going to the derms and figure this out for myself, and I did.

I found a website that sells Isotane without a prescription and decided to give it a try. My skin and hair have always been slightly on the oily side, especially by the end of the day it would be pretty bad. I knew all along I just needed to somehow shrink my sebaceous glands down a bit and my face/skin would stop breaking out and have a real nice texture and tone to it. Well, needless to say when the Isotane came in it did just that. I've never had such wonderful looking skin in my whole life.

Now, this medication is more severe for women because of possible birth-defects while ON the medication. You should also not conceive for at least 6 months after stopping the medication either I believe. It will raise your cholesterol and the amount of fats in your blood, so it is something to definitely consider especially as you get older. You shouldn't drink really or take any other medications and NO vitamin A, mutlivitamins, or zinc supplements. It can also decrease bone density so calcium supplements might be a good idea. Anyway, this stuff is almost guaranteed to rid you of all your acne (take 4-6 months) and will last 1 year (90% stay clear) to 2 years (75% stay clear) or more.

As far as leftover scars and marks, there are procedures used to smooth over your skin to help restore a smooth texture and tone to it. You women could probably just use make-up if you wanted, but I think it would be nice to be able to go out without having to rely on make-up to make it through the day. And since guys don't wear make-up there is really no alternatives.

Retin A also kind of worked for me, but since I had oily skin (hormone-induced overactive sebaceous activity) Accutane was the right medication for the job. Washing your face too much is also bad. I used Neutrogena face wash / face mask (it doubles as both... blue and yellow and white bottle I beleive) with 3.5% benzoyl peroxide and it was just wonderful. For spot treatment I'd recommend Retin A instead of Accutane. It all depends on what is causing your acne which medication is right for you. I paid $200 for 100 20mg pills multiplied by 3 packages overall (or 4... can't remember). It's expensive but I don't think you can really put a price on happiness / self-confidence, etc.

Oh yea, and as far as feeling self-conscious, you should really try not to. I'm sure all of you know this, but looks are NOT everything. Good looking people with poor personalities lose their luster very quickly. Halfway decent looking people with wonderful personalities however do become very attractive very quickly. It's all relative... looks and personality are both important, but personality I think prevails over looks any day of the week. If you are confident people will sense that and it is such an attractive quality. Now that my skin is clear I can totally sympathize with those who are suffering through acne, but when I talk to them and they are just themselves I totally don't even see their face for what it is, I instead just see their personalities. I'm sorry if this isn't making sense lol, but I'm so serious about just being yourself and not worrying... you will care more about your face than anyone else. Nobody is perfect and nobody THINKS they are perfect, and everybody is more concerned with their own looks than anybody else's. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so don't worry and have a good time and let people see you for who you really are and you will be much happier guaranteed. You only live once so who cares what other people think. Good luck guys!

Old 12-24-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Hey there fellow acne-ite! I am 46 and for the past year my chin and just under the jawbone of the chin have been breaking out like crazy!! I could have up to 15 pimples there at once!! The only thing I found to clear it up really fast is something I know I shouldn't be doing, but I look so awful I go for the quick fix! I take a cotton ball and clean my chin with rubbing alcohol, in less than 48 hours I'm in pretty good shape. I will put vaseline on it after that because of the alcohol being so "drying" to the skin.
I can bet you don't have many wrinkles, am I right? I think it's a trade off - our skin is still oily which staves off the wrinkles. Like I have no crows feet around the eyes, nothing! So I try to look on the positive side.

Old 12-25-2004, 06:18 PM   #7

Zip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
For those suffering from acne as adults, what are you doing, what have you done, and how do you cope? What would you like to share about your situation? I think we can find a little comfort here with each other's help.
Hi there~~

I wrote about my experiences on a "Murad" thread, but I'll share again here.

I'm female, 43, and I've had acne for <sigh> 30 years. It was never severe, where people would gasp in horror, but there would always be some pimples on my face, all the time.... and I'm not talking about tiny red dots that other people lament over, either. My pimples have tended to be the inflammatory kind.. big, red, hard bumps that last forever.

Anyway, in HS I mostly used things like Clearasil and Stridex (basically useless), then in my 20s I discovered topical erythromycin. It was like a miracle! It really kept my breakouts to a minimum. It worked for several years, then stopped. I gave it up altogether when I started living with my (now) husband, because, frankly, it smelled bad. I just couldn't put that on my face and climb into bed at night

In my 30s I was having children, so I was not about to take/use any sort of drugs for my skin. My skin wasn't too bad then, and during my pregnancies I didn't have one pimple. My skin was so fantastic that I got compliments on it! Unfortunately, it went right back to "normal" after I had my babies.

Once I hit my 40s I started breaking out even more. The worst was when I had to meet my daughter's teacher for the first time. I had gotten the most enormous zit of my life on top of my cheekbone. The whole area blew up so large it looked like I had been hit in the eye. I was mortified. Less than two weeks later I got ANOTHER zit like that... I really couldn't believe it. I've never seen a "thing" like that on anyone. I practically flew to the dermatologist's. That started a whole bad cycle of trying different meds and winding up with irritations and allergic reactions. I finally just gave up and tried to "live with" my acne.

Didn't work. In addition to my acne, I developed big, red scaly patches on the sides of my face. Two different dermatologists said, "I don't know what that is." (Um, great... then who would know?) I tried another "cosmetic dermatologist" because I thought maybe I could benefit from glycolic acid peels. He said he didn't know (Okaaaaay). He also said he didn't know what the red patches were... maybe I had rosacea (Maybe? You can't make a diagnosis?)

In desperation, I looked online for acne treatments and decided to try the Murad line... acne wash, exfoliating gel, oil-free moisturizer. In less than a week I had totally clear, soft skin. No pimples, no red patches. It's my new "miracle."

I'm glad you started this thread, because I don't think younger people who have had acne for a few years can relate to what it is like to have acne for DECADES. If you have acne now, just think how you'd feel if it never went away. Got a face full of pimples? Picture that being your skin, forever. At some point, you really start to feel ridiculous. And it's tiresome. In addition to the acne, I have really oily skin. Im my 20s and 30s it would be gushing. I'd have to wash my face several times/day at work it was that greasy. I'd have to pray before important events that I wouldn't wake up with a big, honkin', face-distorting zit.

If there is an upside, all the oiliness (plus no tanning!) has prevented me from getting any wrinkles. Still, enough already! I think I have paid my dues And while the Murad is keeping my face clear, I wish I didn't have to do any of it. What's it like to have normal skin that you can simply just wash and that's it? What's it like not to have to touch up your makeup a zillion times because cosmetics slide off your face? Doesn't look like I'll be finding out any time soon

Last edited by Zip; 12-27-2004 at 08:13 PM. Reason: I spelled dermatologist incorrectly more than once... geez :-)

Old 12-25-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
(male)

Buzzsaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy21
Oh yea, and as far as feeling self-conscious, you should really try not to. I'm sure all of you know this, but looks are NOT everything. Good looking people with poor personalities lose their luster very quickly. Halfway decent looking people with wonderful personalities however do become very attractive very quickly. It's all relative... looks and personality are both important, but personality I think prevails over looks any day of the week. If you are confident people will sense that and it is such an attractive quality. Now that my skin is clear I can totally sympathize with those who are suffering through acne, but when I talk to them and they are just themselves I totally don't even see their face for what it is, I instead just see their personalities. I'm sorry if this isn't making sense lol, but I'm so serious about just being yourself and not worrying... you will care more about your face than anyone else. Nobody is perfect and nobody THINKS they are perfect, and everybody is more concerned with their own looks than anybody else's. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so don't worry and have a good time and let people see you for who you really are and you will be much happier guaranteed. You only live once so who cares what other people think. Good luck guys!
Dude!!! Are you are sure you are only 21?? Man, what a great attitude! You are sooo right. I went to a party tonight and had a great time! I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that cared that I had acne and blemishes etc....

I'm going to save this post and read it from time to time for inspiration!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Buzz

Old 12-25-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
(male)

Buzzsaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlover
I can bet you don't have many wrinkles, am I right? I think it's a trade off - our skin is still oily which staves off the wrinkles. Like I have no crows feet around the eyes, nothing! So I try to look on the positive side.
Hey Sunlover!

Yep! Not many wrinkles! But the scars and blemishes are more than enough. I like the positive attitude though! Thanks! You gotta figure there's something for us in the long run!

Buzz

Old 12-25-2004, 07:48 PM   #10
(female)

fadeaway1289 HB User

hey sunlover..just curious about the whole rubbing alcohol thing. i'm a 26 yr old female and i started getting really bad cysts all over my chin and jawline and nothing is working to get rid of it. i also have extremely oily skin. does the rubbing alcohol irritate you at all?

Old 12-25-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
(male)

Buzzsaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittikat
So here it is, I have noticed that if I keep tell myself positive thoughts the idea of having acne doesn't seem as bad. I can cover it with makeup and nobody knows I have it. I have spent to much time letting acne control my life. The day I said to hell with the bloody acne, my quality of life has improve and as well as my relationship with others. I definitely still have my bad days, but I have developed some new hobbies and I am trying really hard to stay positive. Bottom line, we only have one life to live and I don't want to live my life worrying about my acne. Ironically, not stressing about my acne, I noticed that it has improved. Go Figure.

Happy Holidays and everyone keep safe.
Hey Kitti! Thanks for the response and great attitude! I need to get to the point where I say "the hell with the boody acne" but I'm not there yet. I still obsess. But, with your inspiration, and that from others, I think I might get by! I had a great night out tonight and I'm the only one who probably cared that I had bad skin (I'm going to start another post related to this in a minute)

Happy holidays Kitti and all!

Buzz

Old 12-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
(male)

Buzzsaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip
I'm female, 43, and I've had acne for <sigh> 30 years. It was never severe, where people would gasp in horror, but there would always be some pimples on my face, all the time.... and I'm not talking about tiny red dots that other people lament over, either. My pimples have tended to be the inflammatory kind.. big, red, hard bumps that last forever.

Zip, you and I must have been separated at birth!!! I need to find out more about Morad. Sounds like it worked for you.

Thanks for posting Zip and happy holidays!

Buzz

Old 12-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #13
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User

Hey guys....just wanted to add my story. I am a 32 year old female and I started breaking out for the first time at age 28, when I went off of the pill to try to get pregnant. I broke out in cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. I tried all of the topicals, the Proactiv and many different "cures" that were suggested here. The only thing that cleared me, finally, was the pill.

Yasmin worked for a while, but then the cystic stuff got worse and I went back to Zovia. Now, I use the Zovia and wash my face with glycolic cleanser and moisturize with Kinerase. Those three products alone have saved my face.

Now, around my period, I get one or two pimples on my chin, but none are cystic and nothing a little dab of benzoyl peroxide doesn't cure.

I would also say that exfoliation is really crucial too, but only once you get clear. Doing it before that time just irritated my skin more.

My issue now is that I can't go off of the pill to get pregnant. I am still searching for a way to do that....if anyone has any suggestions. I just can't face being miserable everyday again, so until I figure this out, I will have to stay on the pill. It took so long to get clear, it just doesn't seem worth it to start all over again. Acne is such a self-esteem wrecker!!

Old 12-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

Fadeaway... the only thing the alcohol does is make my chin feel really dry and tight, so I put vaseline on after the alcohol is totally dry. I really don't think that is any good for the skin though, but it's the only thing that works quickly.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #15

kittikat HB User

OhMyFace,

You sound like my twin sister. I also have the dilemma of going off the pill to get pregnant. I recently got married. My husband and I want children and we are definitely getting to an age where it should be soon. But when I started to break out with cystic acne and it was psychologically effecting my well being, my derm recommended that I switch birth control pills to prevent the acne. I was planning to stop taking the pill when I got married. My husband felt that it was important for me to feel better, so he was supportive in continuing the birth control.

Recently, however, I went to another dermatologist who really had a good perspective of how acne was effecting my life. He was actually surprised that I was taking birth control to treat my acne because I had stated that my husband and I want children. He said that it was just acne and that you cannot put your life on hold for it. You will regret it in the future. Also, he stated that most of his clients complexions improved once they get pregnant. I got to thinking about that. Acne or having children. I can't believe that it has come down to that. That is pathetic. I care so much about treating the acne on my face I am willing to not have children. Well, I am going to consult with my gynecologist and discuss the option of stopping the pill. By the way, I also take the pill because I have endometrosis and it actually helps with the symptoms. If that were not the case, I would have stopped when my derm told me to go live my life and stop worrying so much. So that is my story.

Closed Thread