It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User
Embrassing Blemishes

Hi,
Need some help.....I'm 28 years old and have terrible acne... I get rid of a few big ones and then more appear it's like a cycle never ending....These blemishes becoming so noticable i'm so embrasses at times...I have used these products over the years not seem to be working(noxema for almost three years, which i'm still using, neutrogena facial wash for four months made my face really dry, mary kay's makes your skin soft but doesn't get rid of the acne use it for six months, clearasil facial cleanser two months really dryed my face)......Please tell me what your using if it's working...Any advice would help thanks.........

Old 01-03-2005, 11:00 PM   #2

morgain HB User
Re: Embrassing Blemishes

I have pretty bad acne on my back so i decieded to go on Birth Controll and i find that it has pretty much cleared me up -its a pretty big choice so maybe try a soap called spectra jell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
(female)

catie1 HB User

Hi, Retin-A is the only thing that's really helped calm down my face. I only get a few pimples now and they aren't really big and throbbing like before. I wash with Olay Foaming Face Wash for Sensitive Skin and it doesn't dry out my face. I use Olay Complete Defense moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. I've just started using Hydrogen Peroxide 3% on my face in the morning instead of benzoyl peroxide or salcilic acid because it's supposed to be more gentle. I haven't been using it that long though. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

mymomsgonecrazy HB User

Stop using Noxema and go buy cetaphil I like the oily type better but get both and use oily when your oily and the other when your drier. I'd use there moist. too. Start it all buy getting a plain facial with extractions and use a low dose benz. peroxide on only pimples and daily a sal. acid to keep pores unclogged. Doc tells me to use Neutrogena anti blemish/ anti-wrinkle with retinol too but I like to use products that are bit more high end because they tend to last longer and work better for me although I do use cetaphil. Just remember the more crap you use the worse it gets and Noxema will just leave you with small clogged bumps believe me I had a situation where i was forced to use it only for two monthes so I know the comparioson. Drink lots of water and sleep well. B-5 is good too.If that doesnt work theres a lto of help a doc can do for you.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Hi,
Where do you buy cetaphil???I have notice i have more blemishes and bumps since using noxzema, thanks for the advice i'm stopped using today...

Old 01-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

Yes stop using the Noxzema is full of waxes and pore clogging ingredients..HAve u ever gone to a dermotologist?I use Differin and klaron..prescription topicals..they have worked well in only 2 wks..hopeing to only mprove..some dryness not bad though..

Old 01-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Hi,
No i haven't gone to a dermatolgist...I did make apointments but never got to them due to something coming up....So this is always the last on my list...You know with kids and work your always last on your list....So i thought if it's something i could just buy over the counter that would be easier for me..

Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #8

kittikat HB User

I was using all these topicals that the dermatologist recommended. I was using DUAC in the AM, Retin-A in the PM and washing my face with Cetaphil Cleanser both in the AM and PM. I also used Almay Blemish Control Makeup. Oh, my dermatologist also recommended that I use a toner with Glycolic acid. Well, that really dried out my skin. I would not recommend this routine.

This is what I do now! I use Cetaphil Cleanser in the AM and PM. Make sure that if you wear makeup, use a washcloth to help remove makeup. Cetaphil is really gentle, but it will not remove the makeup completely without a little scrubing. I have been doing this for a while and it really makes my skin soft. I cannot use a moisturizer so this also exfoliates and gets rid of the flaky skin. In the morning, I just put on Almay Blemish Control Makeup with Salicylic acid. This controls the acne for the day. In the evening, after I wash my face, I apply Retin-A Micro. This routine is working for me and it is very simple. I have realized that "less is more". Irritiating your skin makes it worse and applying all the products that the dermatologist recommends may be worse for your skin and not better.

By the way, I agree that you need to immediately stop using Noxema. My dermatologist said that is the worst cleanser to use. Hope this helps. I know it can be confusing and frustrating so always remember you are more than your skin.

A footnote, if you do start to use Retin-A Micro, at first, use every other night for approximately one month. Use every night and will dry out your skin and you probably will stop using it.

Last edited by kittikat; 01-05-2005 at 09:30 PM.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
(female)

white dove HB User

Forget Cetaphil--it contains sodium lauryl sulfate, a known skin and mouth irritant. Many other skin irritants are in personal care products, especially toothpaste. (I use SQUIGLE toothpaste. Squigle's website lists some irritants to avoid.)

The title of a recent article from Contact Dermatitis. 2004 Nov;51(5-6):259-62.
"The MOAHLFA index of irritant sodium lauryl sulfate reactions: first results of a multicentre study on routine sodium lauryl sulfate patch testing."
There are many peer-reviewed articles on sodium lauryl sulfate irritancy.
So what is one to do? You know the answer--Make another appointment to get diagnosed by a physician. (and in the meantime avoid personal care products, especially those with lauryl sulfates)

Old 01-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

AS LOng as Sodium lauryl sulfate is NOT the main ingredient or the first or second ingridient listed you should be ok ..it's listed as the 4th ingredient in Cetaphil still making it gentle..

Old 01-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #11

shisimagum HB User

I would say way from cetaphil. A 5% concentration of Sodium lauryl sulfate is enough to make you breakout. This information is available on the web. Cetaphil has more then that. So it is not as gentle as you think.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Inactive

shannamarie36 HB User

Is that in Cetaphil moisturizers too?????? What do you use for a cleaning regimen?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #13

Terihe HB User

I use glycolic face wash and glycolic cream in the a.m. and Retin A at night. Perfect complexion with no break outs.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

xismybaby HB User

hi, i used to agree with the people who posted that sodium laureth and lauryl sulfates makes you break out and is bad for the skin. but i have been using aquanil cleanser and the regular cetaphil and my skin hasnt broken out in a while. i used to like using natural organic cleansers but they didnt really help my skin, so my derm recommended aquanil and now its my favorite cleanser, even though it does have S.L.S in it, its not the main ingredient. it is really gentle, contains no fragrance and doesnt dry me out. My skin looks so much better and healthier, so i would have to recommend these cleansers even though they have S.L.S in them. I am also using paula's choice 1% bha lotion which helps keep my skin smooth and helps prevent pimples and put a small amount of zoderm 4% ben. peroxide on areas where i usually break out. off the topic of cleansers, i would also suggest drinking green tea because it has a high antioxident property, which is good for your health and skin.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

arock HB User

hi all. i would say that the very best thing you could do would probably be to see the dermatologist. as we get older our hormones change, just like everything else, which is why you may have had pretty good skin as a kid and then find yourself breaking out suddenly in your 20's and 30's, especially those of us women who have had children. what's truly good for you is good for the kids too, so make sure to take care of yourself, just as you would make sure to take care of your family. it took me a few years to get that thru, now i am on my way. it's not an easier road, and it's definately been inconvenient, but (hopefully!) the end result will be nothing but satisfaction all around. i've tried all the otc stuff, the nice dept. store stuff and the online/infomercial stuff-- seriously, ALL of it-- and nothing beats doxicycline and cleocin! or whatever. the point is, they keep all the stuff that really works locked up tight behind the counter at the pharmacy and your derm is the gate keeper. just make sure that you get a good one, who respects you and cares about getting you the result that you're looking for. best of luck!

Closed Thread