It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
(male)

Healthy.J HB User
Non-Comedogenic Label is misleading!

I am sure all of you are familiar with the labels that say non-comedogenic. Cetaphil cleanser, Kiss my face etc, but are they really non-comedogenic? I have used one product that say non-comedogenic and they broke me out. One of which is believe it or not cetaphil anti-bacterial bar cleanser. I could feel it literally clogging my pores (coincidently it has some of the same ingredients as black soap which also broke me out). Now this does not mean that all "non-comedogenic" products will break people out. It all depends on your skin type. In fact some dermatologists admit that non-comedogenic and oil free products can still break you out.

By Keith J. Haar, M.D.
Board Certified Dermatologist

"Many products which state "oil-free acne-formulation" or "non-comedogenic" may still clog pores in some acne patients".

Also there is no approved or regulated standard for the assertion that a product is non-comedogenic. The fact of the matter is that the thicker a topical or cleansing lather is, the more likely it is to clog your pores. It is the wax and oil ingredients that give a moisturizer that smooth thickness and moisturizing properties. Also many people have conflicting reviews on products, [ removed ] Some will say I love it worked great and others will say I hated it and so did my skin. Everyone is different. Now don't be paranoid about moisturizers because there are good ones out there, but just keep in mind that NOTHING can be guaranteed to be non-comedogenic. I am currently using something internally for my acne (not that damn accutane) and I am about to stop using a moisturizer and start using Sea Breeze sensitive skin astringent. I will just wash my face with warm water and then apply the astringent, which is said to not dry you out. I will do this because I don't want to use a topical anymore. I believe this is when you sleep you seem to get more pimples or your pimples get worse, because when you sleep your pores are breathing heavily and topicals can clog them. When I just wash my face and put no topical on at night the small clogs on my forehead start fading away. [ removed ] Hope this helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-04-2005 at 09:25 AM. Reason: please do not post any kind of information to find websites - not even search instructions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
Re: Non-Comedogenic Label is misleading!

For mee Sea Breeze is like napalm, my skin is too sensitive. Anyway lanolin is comedic

Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #3

shisimagum HB User

That is right, it is misleading. Alot of products that claims to be "Non-Comedogenic" contain pore clogging ingredients.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
(male)

Healthy.J HB User

Wow, your skin sensitive to Sea Breeze. All the reviews I saw said that it felt very gentle on their skin. Did you use the sensitive skin labeled one? Also not all things that are comedic or comedogenic clog your pores. It all depends on your skin type. For instance mineral oil clogs my pores, but most people I know use moisturizers with mineral oil and it doesn't break them out at all. So thanks for mentioning that because another myth is that all products that are known to clog pores don't clog pores for everybody.

Closed Thread