It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Inactive

atti HB User
Exclamation Glycolic Acid

I used Neutrogena Healthy Skin cleanser with Glycolic acid in it for the past 4 days, and I've broken out so much worse than before. I was down to mild acne and now it looks like I have severe acne!!

I know that one cause of acne is improper shedding of skin cells and clogging of pores. If the glycolic acid got rid of the dry skin yet breakouts increased, could the problem be bacteria or a fungus?

Should I use Safeguard soap?

Old 01-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran

OhMyFace HB User
Re: Glycolic Acid

The fact that you are breaking out means that the glycolic is working. It is bringing junk out of your pores. Just try to keep in mind....those pimples were going to surface eventually anyway....at least you are getting most of it out right away and hopefully, it will not return.

I use glycolic too and it was one of the best things for my skin. Your skin tone will improve and your acne, if used consistently, should get better. That depends, of course, how severe it is....but if you just get the occasional breakout, it should help.

Stick with it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Inactive

atti HB User

I have moderate acne as it is. The wash I have also has .4% salicylic acid in it, plus I also use a salicylic face wash by itself. Will using that help?

Old 01-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Inactive

atti HB User

man, my face is a mess because of the glycolic acid crap. it worked soo well before, now it's horrible. My face was almost clear before this.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

It could be the time of the month? Or maybe glycolic acid or the soap it's in is too harsh for you. Did it dry out your face when you used it? Being too dry or sun burned is not good, because it blocks the pores at the surface, which can give anaerobic bacteria a great environment to multiply. Try exercising and drinking lots of water to open the pores and give your system the tools it needs (water) to carry away the bad guys in the pores.
You have a dermatoloigist, right? The dermatologists today have much better medicines than even just 10 years ago, and way better than 30 years ago. It's worth it to see one. You are worth it.

Old 01-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Salicylic acid is definitely the best for your acne and overall skin. It will never make you break out and it cleans your face/pores really well. I also use glycolic which is good too, but it can break you out.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Inactive

atti HB User

I exercise 3 times during the week at a gym and drink at least 1 liter of water a day so far, which is a lot more than i ever drank before. I had just gotten over my period. I think since the glycolic acid takes off those first few layers, and I picked my zits, it spread the bacteria more since it was new skin.

What do you guys think?

Now I use safeguard soap, haven't used the glycolic acid stuff. I have big pustules on my face that are slowly going away, but the redness has gone down and there are a lot less zits. The glycolic acid didn't make my skin dry, well any drier than it already is. I've started taking Saw Palmetto for hormones and that has cured my dry skin problem! So hopefully once these pustules are gone, I can started using the glycolic acid stuff again and get rid of the red spots. And of course I won't touch my face, I'm trying to work on that. I'm doing a very good job, I just hope I can keep it up.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Quote:
... And of course I won't touch my face, I'm trying to work on that. I'm doing a very good job, I just hope I can keep it up.
Some are better at that than others. I was/am the worst. Probably having an OCD/ADD personality doesn't help. The only thing that allowed me to stop picking was having nothing to pick.
When I was 49 a dermatologist put me on spironolactone, aka aldactone. It has a variety of effects, and is use for different things, one being acne because it blocks male hormone. (It also decreases facial hair.) For more than 30 years I had tried nearly every acne treatment, both over-the-counter and prescribed, including topical and oral antibiotics, retin-A, glycolic acid, benzoil peroxide etc. I would never have guessed that a hormone blocker was all I needed. Germs were not really the issue after all.
My middle daughter, on the other hand, who has skin like mine and had also used a lot of antibiotics, found relief with the one medication I didn't try: Accutane. I always thought my acne wasn't "bad enough" to use it. But chronic acne is always "bad enough." She's very happy with the result. But it is a heavy duty chemical to put into your body.
You have to be on the pill or post-menapausal or have had a hysterectomy to have either of these prescribed.
My oldest daughter used topical and oral antibiotics for a few years, and has now "out grown" it. But it took about 10 years.
I'm sure your dermatologist will be up on the latest developments.
Everyone here: I am totally empathetic and think you should avail yourselves of whatever works best for each of you.

Closed Thread