It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

mamba HB User
Red face What moisturizer to use with Differin and Klaron?

My dermatologist told me to wash face with Brevoxyl (contains BP), apply Klaron in the morning, apply Differin every other night, and DO NOT USE MOISTURIZER!
Don't you think it's unrealistic not to use moisturizer if my skin is so dry from all this? Also, it's winter and windchills where I live.
What did you guys use with Klaron and Differin? Did you use a moisturizer? What brand? In the morning or at night? Before or after you put on Klaron or Differin? Did you use any "scrubs" to get all that skin off?

My skin is literally peeling all over, I can't look like this for work. I found some info on the web that moisturizer can be used with Differin, if necessary, as long as it's oil free and gentle. Which moisturizer should I use? I currently have "MURAD" skin perfecting lotion, which is oil free but still seems kind of heavy.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: What moisturizer to use with Differin and Klaron?

I use Purpose sometimes.
Are you using Differin cream or gel? Maybe your doctor would let you skip the BP wash in the winter and use something gentler?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

mamba HB User

I'm using Differin 0.1% gel and Klaron 10% lotion.
But how do you use your moisturizer?
HOw is the differin or Klaron working on you?

thanks.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

I'm using the differin gel at nite(everynite)2 wks so far first 1 was starting to peel alittle and get dry..seems better now but i just place a moisturizer ov the dry areas...i currently have Neutrogena oilfree combination skin moituirser..seems ok..not heavy..I use the klaron at nte after the differin.i dont like using it during the day as it makes my makeup look funy and gives the faces shiny look..I would use the moistuirser in the morning after the klaron..good luck..I'm pleased so far..stil have a ways to go thought only been 2 wks..cant expect miracles over nite..I WISH... PS i think alot of your dryness if from using the brevoxly OR BP wash...that strong stuff..

Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran

Angelene HB User

My derm told me to use the Cetaphil *cleanser* as a moisturizer. Sounded weird at first but it does work. You just have to put a bit more than you would think on. It's runny stuff, but if you put a little bit on everywhere it seems to work. Plus, if you notice a lot of skin peeling off, like around your nose (that's where it tends to build up for me) you can put a bit of the cetaphil cleanser on, leave it sit a moment, and wipe it off with a tissue. The peeling skin comes off with it. Then put on more cleanser to moisturize the area.

Good luck.

Oh, the Klaron lotion is supposed to "minimize" peeling. Anyone else think that's a load of baloney?

Old 01-05-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

mamba HB User

Angelene,
Apply the cetaphil cleanser on the face and leave it there without washing off? Or did you mean that washing with it moisturizes the face.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

You could try Differin cream instead of the gel. But if I had to guess I'd bet its the BP irritating you.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

The Klaron does mnimize teh peeling/dryness I use it right after applying the differin and it has helped alot..it has moisturizing qualities and is quite gentle..its not harsh by any means..

Old 01-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

BJM04 HB User

when your washing your face with something containing medication like BP its certainly gonna dry u out then adding Differin to the regime which causes peeling and dryness no wonder yoru skin is irritated...I'd lay off the BP cleanser...

Old 01-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
(male)

David M HB User
Smile Re: What moisturizer to use with Differin and Klaron?

undefinedundefined

I have a great mosturizer that I have been using for some time now, and I swear by it.. If you want to look into it, I think you will agree by all means. It is by Peter Thomas Roth, and it is called Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion. This formula is OIL FREE and Fragrance Free, and also contains SPF30, which we all know is important for outside activities. It also contains Ginko Biloba anti-oxidant micellized vitamins A and E and Parsol 1789 and is AWESOME for ALL skin types.. This stuff is so lightweight, and IMHO I will never look for or use any other moisturizers on my skin as long as they continue to make this stuff.... By the Way, I am on Taz 1% and also using Klaron and Benzoyl Peroxide.... WORKS WONDERS

Last edited by David M; 01-05-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Forgot some info

Old 01-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #11
Veteran

Angelene HB User

I mean put it on and leave it on, don't rinse it off. It'll absorb in actually quite quickly.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
(male)

Chad Nixon HB User

i use Differin %0.3...for moisturizer my dermatologist gave me a few testers,

cetaphil and neutrogena, but the moisturizers he gave me had sun screen

protection in them...DO NOT USE MOISTURIZERS WITH SUNSCREEN IN THEM

unless you are going to be in the sun for long periods of time...the sunscreen

will do nothing but irriatate and cause the worst burning sensation...i have

not yet gone to the store to by new moisturizers, by i will very

soon........What i have been told by my dermatologist is that the best

moisturizers to use have to be oil free, try to get the dermatologist

recomended and just go to the back of the moisturizer container and read

what is in it and make your best logical choice...I have always been told to

not use facial scrubing soaps or the micro cleanser, but i tryed one, and it

really bothered my face and made my irriatation way worse...

if you can try to get a type of pill from your doctor that will help with acne

issues, i am currently using doxycycline and it is really helping.

while using the mix of differin, cindamycin pads, and pills, my face is showing

a huge difference.

MAKE sure you are not always switch products, start using a product you like

and keep using it for a few months, because your face will only break out

more if you are always switching products

BUT if you are able to, the best possible answer is to go to a Dermatologist

Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
(female)

evaevaeva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
My dermatologist told me to wash face with Brevoxyl (contains BP), apply Klaron in the morning, apply Differin every other night, and DO NOT USE MOISTURIZER!
Don't you think it's unrealistic not to use moisturizer if my skin is so dry from all this? Also, it's winter and windchills where I live.
What did you guys use with Klaron and Differin? Did you use a moisturizer? What brand? In the morning or at night? Before or after you put on Klaron or Differin? Did you use any "scrubs" to get all that skin off?

My skin is literally peeling all over, I can't look like this for work. I found some info on the web that moisturizer can be used with Differin, if necessary, as long as it's oil free and gentle. Which moisturizer should I use? I currently have "MURAD" skin perfecting lotion, which is oil free but still seems kind of heavy.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
(female)

evaevaeva HB User

I had the same problem, but found a combo that works... I am using the klaron and differin as well - when my skin starts getting dry I use clinique's face lotion. It is oil free and does a great job at making your skin feel less dry and overly tight. I also use a face shammy to get rid of the extra skin when I have bouts of peeling. (Yep, like the thing used on cars, but for your face)You can get one from Aveda for $10-$15. It's so cool. After washing your face (with your face still wet) you just dry with the sham and it takes off a LOT of the dead skin!

Also, it is very easy to keep clean - it dries from the inside out so all the dirt or whatever is pushed to the surface, so you don't have to worry about pushing dirty bits into your clean face. They last forever too - I've had mine for 4 years. Oh and how I tend to apply the cinique lotion is right after I wash my face (and use the shammy to get the dead skin off) I let the lotion sink in for about 10 min before I apply the klaron & differin.

Hope this helps - Oh by the way, clinique has 2 lotions one is a gel and one is regular, not sure the difference, i use the regular one, but if you go for the gel make sure to ask that it is oil free. -- Good luck!

Closed Thread