It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

MommyPox HB User
Unhappy thinking bout ACCUTANE, advice plzzzzz

First of all, I have been coming here for a couple days now and reading all the posts about acne. It has made me feel so good to know I am not alone.
I have moderate to severe acne and it has just flared up really in the last year and a half.

I have tried so many things and did all of them religiously and nothing has worked. I have done
- erythromycen
- tetracycline
- marvelon bc
- alesse bc
- benzoyle peroxide
- that saclic acid (or how ever you spell it )
- honey masks
- cinamon home remedies
- I even tried to buy some stuff off a web site OXZIT (don't waste money on this stuff)

Latest thing I've tried is drinking lemon juice and putting it on my face with the occasional baking soda paste. made somewhat of a difference but really just helps swelling.

Anyway, right now I am waiting for my drug plan to kick in to go get some accutane, but I read something about SPIRO? What is this stuff? Does anyone think I should try this first if it is safer?

Please help I am desperate. my 3 year old daughter asked me why I have chicken pox, that hurt. I am tired of hiding in my house till my skin clears, if it ever happens.

Last edited by MommyPox; 01-06-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
Re: So embarrased, will it ever go away?

I tried "petitioning the lord with prayer" canthurt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

nbden HB User
Exclamation Re: So embarrased, will it ever go away?

i understand. i have had acne since i was about 10 or 11 (i am 23 now). i know that drinking a lot of water seems to help me some. it seems to get worse around that time of the month. let me know if you find any thing that works, even slightly.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:51 AM   #4
Veteran

AccutaneAvenger HB User

Spiro is an anti-androgen drug that suppresses hormonal secretion and thus attempts to control acne by reducing the sebum production. It has some side effects but they are far worse in men because it partially feminises them.
And I shall be clothed again with my SKIN, and in my flesh I shall see God." [Job 19:25]

Old 01-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
(female)

MommyPox HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrdbr111
i understand. i have had acne since i was about 10 or 11 (i am 23 now). i know that drinking a lot of water seems to help me some. it seems to get worse around that time of the month. let me know if you find any thing that works, even slightly.
That sounds just like me. I started at about 11 years old and went till I was about 20- 21 with only like 3 or 4 pimples on my face at a time. It's frustrating, why now? I drank the water changed my diet,(even lost 5 pounds because of it) But no changes. It is very stubborn. I live in a small town and I am so scarred to go out because i don't want everyone to talk bout me afterwards. I even blew off a family supper at the In-laws cause I was too embarrased over the holidays!! I need help. Can't wait for accutane.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

MommyPox HB User

anyone else?

Old 01-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
(female)

saxlover12 HB User

I'm 16, and I had acne since I was 11. But I went on Accutaine and it effectively cleared my SEVERE ACNE up in 6 months, completely.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
(female)

MommyPox HB User

this is sooo helpfull. I think I have made up my mind. Until I get my drug plan I am drinking fresh lemon juice. Can't hurt right? Check out the thread "lemon juice" It's pretty interesting.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #9

MrsLewis HB User

MommyPox,
I have moderate acne. I always have had some troubles but the older I get the worse it gets. Any how - here's what I use...

Biore blemish fighting cleansing cloths w/salicylic acid
Neutrogena Multi vitamin acne treatment
Equate Medicated Acne Gel

I use the Biore to take off my make up at the end of the day. They're great because you don't have to wet them or anything, just pull one out wipe and toss. Then I use the Neutrogena for what I call "zones". They're small patches on my face where I have several small bumps. The Equate I use for when I break out. I'll spot treat pimples as they pop up. I just got a few newbies about 4 days ago, as I always do during that "time of the month" I got the equate because they were bad, 2 large under the skin and 3 "white heads". I put the equate twice and they have nearly gone away. I don't have a ton of money for prescriptions or doc visits and this hardly costs a thing (about $12.00 for the whole lot at walmart). The only thing is i've noticed that although I got results if I skip even one day I will break out even worse then I was before so you have to stick to it!

p.s. one other thing that works for me is if I notice i'm breaking out becuase of my period or stress or what ever I steer clear of fried food/junk food and drink lots of H20. It helps my skin clear up within a day or two. Good luck and let me know what you try and if it works for you!

Old 01-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #10
(female)

wildindigo HB User

Sounds like me too! i am in my late 20's and my acne has been going on ten years now. It hasn't always been severe in those ten years but I have always been on some medication for it. I have been on everything and they work for a while and then always stop. I recently began spiro 100mg/day. It has been five weeks now and i am starting to really see an improvement. The good thing about spiro it doesn't usually stop working like antibiotics. I haven't really experienced many side effects. You can't take this if you are pregnant, it will effect male babies giving them female qualities. It is also dirt cheap! I would really talk to your doctor to see if it is right for you. I wish I would have known about this years ago.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:01 AM   #11

scorpion990 HB User

I wouldn't do that. Lemon juice seems to make my acne so much worse.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
(female)

MommyPox HB User

I have read that lemon juice can give you an initial breakout, maybe that's what that is? I broke out a little since I started but I am not sure if it's cause of the juice or stress. I'll keep drinking it till I get my spiro and see what happens.

Closed Thread