It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User
Higher strength acids?

I was wondering if anyone has used 35% salicylic acid (or similar). I just ordered some and was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran

Neca HB User
Re: Higher strength acids?

Hey Johnsmith, I have used 90% Salicylic acid but surprisingly it's not as strong as I thought it would be and it didn't even burn me. The only thing you have to remember when applying SA is to apply it very very quickly as it turns frosty. Well it should turn frosty if you are using pure SA, I definitely won't if you use Neutrogena's version or one that is in commercial products.

For what it's worth I never saw any results from using it apart from right at the very start when it was amazing. It worked great for the first week of use and cleared me right up then it's effectiveness just stopped all of a sudden.

I have just done a 25% home TCA and saw much much better results with that but remember the down-time is long 7-12 days. TCA is great for mild and moderate acne sufferers not so sure about severe ones as it could cause scarring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Inactive

Vana HB User

Hi John
I've never used strong salicylic acid peels but I do use a 50% glycolic acid peel - I started out at 30% and moved up to 50 a few weeks later. Actually I think it was one of your posts that got me into acid peels in the first place!

The glycolic acid is working fine for me but I use other products along with it as part of my regime. I've got quite tough skin that can take virtually anything I care to throw at it.

What are you treating? I'm trying to get rid of very old acne scars and pits. So far I can see an improvement but not just from the peel alone.

The thing to remember is the pH value. Apparently the acid shouldn't be more than pH 3 otherwise it's ineffective. And I think under pH 2 is way too strong. There's differing opinions on this though so you might want to check it out. I'm not sure whether it applies to both salicylic and glycolic or just glycolic. For a glycolic acid about pH 2.6 is supposed to be good. Do you know anything else about this? Salicylic's alot milder than glycolic isn't it?

Old 01-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

Thanks for replying!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User

"Neca", when you used the 90% Salicylic acid, how often did you use it? Also, did your skin peel, and if so, how much. My last question is, were do you get the 90% Salicylic acid and 25% TCA peel online? You canít give specific websites, but if you could somehow tell me how to get to them that would be great.

"Vana", I believe that salicylic acid is stronger than glycolic acid. They are both great for your skin, but the only thing that I've found wrong with glycolic is that it can sometimes break you out a little (nothing bad). With salicylic acid, it will never break you out. I am trying to get the higher acids to get rid of some light scarring on my cheek. I used to go to the dermatologist to get it done, but I only want it on a small area, so itís a little annoying to go there every week to get it done.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #6

Terihe HB User

Actually, glycolic acid is stronger than salacylic acid. Glycolic is better for getting rid of scarring. Lactic acid really helps for lightning age spots.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Inactive

Vana HB User

John

"Yavonae" does a 25% TCA peel to buy online. I haven't tried TCA peels - I think I'm pushing my luck with a 50% glycolic peel actually because I have quite dark olive skin (Spanish genes amongst others) and I know peels aren't recommended for my skin tone. But what the hell - no problems so far.

I haven't seen a 90% salicylic peel anywhere. Do they exist? It seems like it could be a bit strong. Go careful - and go careful with the TCA too. Anyway good luck with your search.

Closed Thread