It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 08:06 AM   #1

dontsaygoodbye HB User
Embarrassing acne on my back

Okay, here's the deal. In the summer, if I go outside and get a good tan, all the acne on my back is usually gone within a week or so. But in the winter, it comes back and stays, no matter how hard I try. I've tried tanning booths, but it doesn't seem to help much. I use the proactiv wash on my back just like I do on my face, but it isn't helpful. I would prefer not to take any pills, but I really want to start working hard on this now so that by the time prom comes, I can wear a dress without being concerned that there's pimples all over my back and neck. I use dandruff shampoo, but it doesn't make too big a difference either. Can anyone help me? Please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
(female)

hopeless118 HB User
Re: Embarrassing acne on my back

Hi, I too suffer from back acne and I remember in high school experiencing the same issues worrying about wearing dresses to dances. My back would get pretty decent in the summer and then it would all come back. After 4 years of this I had to go on accutane. Have you seen a derm, cause if you have not i would. They might be able to give you a topical or wash that will help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran

Angelene HB User

This is my problem too, and I've got a wedding coming up in about a year. I've wanted to wear a strapless dress since I was a little girl, so I went to my derm and she suggested I use Aveeno Acne wash or Sal-Ac cleanser. Sal-Ac is one I have used in the past, and sometimes you have to go to the pharmacy and ask them to order it for you. It does work well. Another tip, she said, is to wash and condition your hair upside down and make sure your back is clean of all conditioner before you dry off. Also, don't use a heavy moisturiser like the cetaphil all-over moisturiser. She also prescribed clindamyacin and klaron to use on my back every 2nd night, and I've just started taking monodox (antibiotic).

I do think you should see a derm about it, and IMHO you should stop tanning b/c you're going to do more harm to your skin (prolonging acne scars, as well as uv damage) than good. It's up to you, but there's so much odd stuff that goes on to your skin when you tan.

Good Luck!!

Old 01-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsaygoodbye
Okay, here's the deal. In the summer, if I go outside and get a good tan, all the acne on my back is usually gone within a week or so. But in the winter, it comes back and stays, no matter how hard I try. I've tried tanning booths, but it doesn't seem to help much. I use the proactiv wash on my back just like I do on my face, but it isn't helpful. I would prefer not to take any pills, but I really want to start working hard on this now so that by the time prom comes, I can wear a dress without being concerned that there's pimples all over my back and neck. I use dandruff shampoo, but it doesn't make too big a difference either. Can anyone help me? Please!
I had acne on my back for about a year and a half and its JUST now going. The only real change I've made lately is eating - I've cut out junk food (except for every now and then) and eat lots of veggies, drink lots of water etc. But, who knows, maybe it was going to go on its own anyway. But, you should try St. Ives medicated scrub it REALLY helps minimize back acne.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
(female)

saxlover12 HB User

Accutaine cleared my facial, chest, and back acne up completely

Old 01-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #6

dontsaygoodbye HB User

thanks guys, all ur advice is really appreciated!

Old 01-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I have the same problem, and have yet to find anything that helps. Miserable.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #8

shisimagum HB User

It is very important to exfoliate your back. I also use the black soap. It really helps clear my back.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
(female)

Katrina HB User

I had acne on my back since highschool and it suddenly cleared for a few years. I finally realized (the hard way) what fixed it years ago. A fews weeks ago, my backbrush broke and I went without one for a month (too lazy to buy a new one!). I just tried washing my back by rubbing soap on it with my hands. I broke out like crazy! I finally bought a new backbrush and it is clearing up again. Turns out, my back acne cleared up years ago when I started using backbrushes instead of just washrags.

The ironic part is that this is the complete opposite of the way my face works- the more I scrub my face, the worse it looks. But if I use a brush and some gentle soap like dove on my back (and sometimes the roughness of the brush on my sensitive skin hurts but it doesn't irritate the breakouts), my back acne clears right up! Go figure....

Anyways, you might want to try washing with one if you don't already. And use an antibacterial soap (like dial), but try to use a sensitive skin version to prevent irritation.

Last edited by Katrina; 01-09-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
(female)

totallynaive HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinamp
I had acne on my back since highschool and it suddenly cleared for a few years. I finally realized (the hard way) what fixed it years ago. A fews weeks ago, my backbrush broke and I went without one for a month (too lazy to buy a new one!). I just tried washing my back by rubbing soap on it with my hands. I broke out like crazy! I finally bought a new backbrush and it is clearing up again. Turns out, my back acne cleared up years ago when I started using backbrushes instead of just washrags.

The ironic part is that this is the complete opposite of the way my face works- the more I scrub my face, the worse it looks. But if I use a brush and some gentle soap like dove on my back (and sometimes the roughness of the brush on my sensitive skin hurts but it doesn't irritate the breakouts), my back acne clears right up! Go figure....

Anyways, you might want to try washing with one if you don't already. And use an antibacterial soap (like dial), but try to use a sensitive skin version to prevent irritation.

that's great! I'm going out shopping right now, I'll have to try that. Thank you!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
(male)

steven12345 HB User

how bad did your acne get??? in the summer if i go out in the sun my back and chest clear up...but i sometimes dont even want to take my shirt off due to the embarassment. i mean, i have a good body but the acne just kills it for me!!! would the brush work good on the chest also???

Closed Thread